Sd Card Falling Apart And File Corruption Problems

KZouLoN

Still Fresh
Let me begin by saying that I am very happy with the many possibilities that the gp2x is offering me. I have an OCZ 4gb SD card that is working well. I have only been using it in my gp2x and in my usb card adapter (thank you ledshoppe.com for such a low price). I took very good care of that small card but even with that care, the card is now falling apart. Two tiny plastic pieces fell off from both corners near the metal contact part of the card. I scotch taped them and the card is still working fine, pfew. I hope OCZ covers this with the lifetime warranty, maybe I will send the card back to get a replacement. But it's a tough dilemna because I can't use it will it is being repaired...

But now because I am affraid of transfering my card outside of my gp2x I tried using a usb cable to transfer my data. But some of the files I copied are corrupted! I am now wondering, are the files corrupted because of the unstable state of my SD card or is it because the usb transfer of data is unreliable on the gp2x? Also, I am using the latest firmware, 2.1.1.

Any advice you have will be greatly appreciated. :)

SD cards are so cheap .. just buy another while this one is being replaced, 512mb or so. Then when it is replaced you'll have 2. You can't have too many SD cards.

i had the same problem with my a-data 4 gb card. i got it replaced and during that time my girlfriend let me borrow her 1 gb card. i got it back and now at the first sign of falling apart i taped it up. if you taped it just after small pieces fell off yet the card seems pretty stable i would just say keep it nicely taped up and continue using it. if not take it back, if its got a lifetime warranty thats probably the main thing it covers. a-data cards have a lifetime guarantee yet ive noticed they start falling apart pretty easily. however, they do work well, are cheap and have a lifetime guarantee so i have no problem just taping it up.

as for your file corruption problems i would say its more because there are still a multitude of problems with using the usb cable and transferring files that way. just keep your card taped up nice and use a card reader and you should be fine.

Back