SD card appdata issue?

Viral18

Okay, so I've had my Pandora for several months now, and absolutely love it :D . One thing that diminishes the experience for me though is that often applications will refuse to run, even after a reboot, and the only way I can get them to run again is by deleting the appdata path and starting again. Obviously this isn't ideal as with things like Exaile I lose my library, and with emulators I lose my saves unless I back them up beforehand.

So my first question is; has anyone else experienced this?

I'm more or less certain it isn't related to the Pandora itself, because I had to get my first Pandora replaced due to an LCD problem (I definitely got a different one back, as several build elements are noticeably different) and with that Pandora I also experienced this issue. So it's probably the fault of my SD card somehow. The SD card is a Bytestor 16GB class 6, and has been verified as non-fake with H2testw.

So I'm thinking of replacing this card, and would be appreciative of any suggestions of cards that work well on Pandora, obtainable in the UK.

Thanks-

Utopia

Yes, I've encountered it. No, it isn't your SD Card or your Pandora.

When it happens again, open up Thunar (the file-browser in Xfce), browse to the appdata directory for the affected program, and press CTRL and H, to display hidden files. I can say with complete confidence that you will find a file named ".aufs.xino" - delete this and all will be normal again.

I have been told that this shouldn't be possible, but if my guess is right, including you, I now know of two other people who have experienced this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I've encountered it. No, it isn't your SD Card or your Pandora...

Thankyou so so much. I have hidden files displayed by default, but never actually thought that anything was amiss with the "aufs.xino" file, purely because it was in so many of my appdata folders XD. Just went and restored a load of the non-working apps just now :D .

If only a few of us have experienced this issue though, don't you think it's odd that both of the Pandora I've used have had this issue?

Ah well, for now i'm just very appreciative I can use a lot of these apps without fear of getting hooked on a game and then losing all the data ^_^ .

Glad to be of assistance. :)

I'm no technical expert, but I don't believe it's related to any particular Pandora. I've had three of them at this point, and it's happened on all of them - the common factor is my main SD Card. I wonder if it's down to how certain card sizes and/or speeds are handled, myself. It's curious that your card, too, is a Class 6. That's the same speed as the one I've encountered this issue with. (I don't recall if the other fellow who encountered it mentioned the speed of the card he was using, but I would hazard a guess that it, too, was Class 6).

I haven't a clue how to provide any further information that might help to fix the problem, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had three of them at this point, and it's happened on all of them - the common factor is my main SD Card. I wonder if it's down to how certain card sizes and/or speeds are handled, myself.

Hmmm, Interesting. I may get another SD card anyway for a bit more storage space, so I'll ensure it's not class 6 and test this hypothesis. Deleting that one file every time an application doesn't boot is far less of a hassle than backing up all the savestates, backing up the config files and deleting the path anyway, so it doesn't feel as much an issue as it did ^_^ .

I doubt we'll get any kind of answer unless a lot more Pandora users experience this; though with the recent progress in production, maybe that's a possibility.

Really interesting. From what I have read, (and someone who really knows what they are talking about needs to chime in) it sounds like it could be related to the SD Card. When aufs assigns an inode number to a file, and the same named file exists on another branch (upper?) then the next time the file is accessed aufs may assign another inode number to the file. When the inode number is changed it treats the file as totally different, and might explain why things will not run. And deleting the file resets things I am assuming. But I am guessing at a whole lot here and my understanding of this is pretty minimal.

^^^

Thanks, I was hunting around the net a bit looking for more information on this -but most information is incredibly in-depth documentation on aufs, most of which I can't understand :p .

On another note: Does anyone know if Thunar has any kind of file search function? -As it seems a good idea for those of us with this issue to just batch delete all instances of .aufs.xino in the appdata path. I did this on my home PC and found 12 instances of the file in my appdata path, and all apps run properly for me now, but it might be more convenient to do this on the pandora itself.

You can use this script:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

find /path/to/your/appdata -name .aufs.xino -exec rm '{}' \;

You can use this script:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

find /path/to/your/appdata -name .aufs.xino -exec rm '{}' \;
I just wanted to say a late thanks-very-much for this. :) I was going to come back and ask if this was possible.

Hello Utopia::1138,

I am glad that someone pointed this thread out to me as I am having the same problem.. Thought I was taking Crazy Pills.

I have had 3 pandoras and so far, the same problem has plagued me. Seems that often, my pnd's will now mount consistently. The problem happens mostly when I remove the SD card and reinsert. I thought at first that I was not unmounting the card but have since found out that you should not have to unmount the SD card each time it is removed.

Problem I had was that after reinserting my SD card, most ( not all ) apps would not run due to mounting error. I would delete the said file in this thread and all would be good.

Thing I could not figure out was if it was my Pandora, the apps, or my SD card.. I am using an Class 6 Patriot 16GB card. What I though was a good quality card, formatted with Fat32.

Have you found out any more information to come to any firm conclusions to what the problem is caused by or how to fix it permanently ?

Have you tried to change your SD card to see if this would fix the problem ?

Eisner

Back