Sd Card And Internal Memory = Same?!?

R

rushpage

Okay, this is really screwed up. :p

First, some specs:

2.1 firmware
2gb Kingston card (actually, this applies to any SD card I have tried)
FAT 32 formatted

All was fine, playing stuff and whatnot, then I added about 250 ROMS to the GBA and NES emulators. Then, all of a sudden, this starts happening.

The GP2x won't recognize any SD card put into it, even if it is formatted OR has mp3, jpg, etc. on it.

I can copy things from the internal memory TO THE SD CARD WITHOUT THE SD CARD IN THE SLOT. No, it doesn't actually GO to the SD card, but the GP thinks it does.

So, in short, it seems like the GP thinks it has an SD card in it and it does not. When I DO put a card in it, it's ignored and the contents of the "internal ghost SD card" continue to show up.

And, no, I'm not confused about the internal memory vs. the SD card. Maybe the GP is?!? Have I somehow created another partition in the internal memory?

What the heck here?!?

Help!
John in TX

ah, sad to hear that.
There was a faulty batch with screwed up sd some while ago, I suggest you to send it back to where you bought it from and get it fixed/replaced.

Of course, it could also be the sd card itself, do you have another one to test?

Vimacs posted on Mar 22 2007 at 04:42 AM said:
ah, sad to hear that.
There was a faulty batch with screwed up sd some while ago, I suggest you to send it back to where you bought it from and get it fixed/replaced.

Of course, it could also be the sd card itself, do you have another one to test?

Yes, I've tested it with two cards.

This doesn't seem like a problem with the SD reader itself - it seems like a problem with where the file system is telling the GP to read/put files. . .

Last edited by a moderator:
A linux mount point (in this case /mnt/sd) that isn't mounted (there is no card in the slot) just reverts back to being a normal folder. I'm pretty certain the location of that folder isn't in the area of the nand reserved for user apps, so you should stop copying stuff into there as you could mess up the os if you fill the space.

What's happening here is you are copying files to /mnt/sd but your card (or possibly the sd reader) is corrupt so it hasn't been mounted at that point and your files are going onto the nand instead. If you found a card that worked, you would then see the contents of that card instead (/mnt/sd would be changed to point at the card), and when you remove the card you would see the nand files again (/mnt/sd is back to being a normal folder).

woogal posted on Mar 22 2007 at 08:58 AM said:
A linux mount point (in this case /mnt/sd) that isn't mounted (there is no card in the slot) just reverts back to being a normal folder. I'm pretty certain the location of that folder isn't in the area of the nand reserved for user apps, so you should stop copying stuff into there as you could mess up the os if you fill the space.

What's happening here is you are copying files to /mnt/sd but your card (or possibly the sd reader) is corrupt so it hasn't been mounted at that point and your files are going onto the nand instead. If you found a card that worked, you would then see the contents of that card instead (/mnt/sd would be changed to point at the card), and when you remove the card you would see the nand files again (/mnt/sd is back to being a normal folder).

Ah, okay. Thank you.

Well, it was a physical problem with the card reader. Popped it open and corrected the problem. The silver cover had loosened and the SD card wasn't making contact with the pins since the cover wasn't there to "push" it onto the pins.

I'm not a Linux guy and it was really odd for me to see the GP reacting this way. Your explanation was quite insightful and helpful. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back