Scummvm

paul3100

Just wanted to know how and where to put my dos games in scummvm?

I have scummvm in both my games folder and apps folder and seems to work in both but when i try to add a game it tells me there is no games in that directory so......

What format should my dos games be in? i have some dos games with loads of files to them and others with an exe!

Tbh i don't know much when it comes to dos so any help and any links to working abandoned dos games i can use on scummvm would be great :)

Also iv noticed in scummvm options for sega cd, philips cd-i and others, do these work or may work one day when implemented ?

cheers .. paul3100

you can put them anywhere, just show their directory in the 'add game' menu
the format is the original. you won't need the exe files, but if they are there, it doesn't make a difference

i give up iv tried loads of different dos games from loads of sites and not are showing up GGGRRR!

here for instance is a site i downloaded some legal to download dos games and put them in a folder called games in the scummvm folder which in turn is in the apps folder of the caanoo, click on add game and go to the games folder and try to add all games....nope, try to add individual games by going into the folder .... nope

What am i doing wrong? works ok on dos box on the pc!

paul3100

Scumm doesn't use the original game files in their dos format. It uses DSK files and such, which call all be downloaded legally and for free from the scummvm website.

You can get them from here : http://www.scummvm.org/downloads/

However I can already tell you the alpha port of the scummvm engine doesn't work properly on the Caanoo yet as the guy doing it said he hasn't received his Caanoo yet and he can't test properly until he does.

I've tested it, you can get a lot of games to load properly but the controls are kind of screwy the onscreen keyboard and A,B,C,D,R/L buttons don't work (I think he's mixed them up with the light touch up/down/left/right from the analog stick) he's still working on it.

can someone do a step to step guide as to getting some roms for scumm to work please thanks in advance.

If you have the PC version of the game, just copy the content of your CD or Floppy Discs into a folder in your card and add this folder within ScummVM. The games will be detected and recognised by ScummVM, you don't have to do anything else.

All I did was download discworld and unrared it into a folder called Diskworld in the ScummVM dir - pressed add game - then start
To start playing ;-)

I've just updated my ScummVM to the non-preview version of 1.2.0 (grabbed it from the official website, but it looks like it's on the archive now too) and I was thrilled to find that one of my all-time favourite games, 'The Curse of Monkey Island' runs GREAT. Speed seems up to scratch too - if there's any lag compared to the PC version, it's barely noticeable.

The downscaling works now fine, Hi-Res games like "I have no mouth and I must scream" now work fine (even, if it is very hard to read the text).

CKeichel said:
The downscaling works now fine, Hi-Res games like "I have no mouth and I must scream" now work fine (even, if it is very hard to read the text).

Yup, the tiny text is about the only issue I could find with 'Curse', and it's far from a deal-breaker. Everything else seems great.

Last edited by a moderator:
AJack said:
Yup, the tiny text is about the only issue I could find with 'Curse', and it's far from a deal-breaker. Everything else seems great.

Glad people like it, the down-scaling is about as good as I can get it. There is really very little I can do to make the text easier to read.
Feedback appreciated as always :).

As for paul3100's original comments, I notice nobody seemed to have the heart to tell him he had ScummVM and DOSBox confused ;).

As for paul3100's original comments, I notice nobody seemed to have the heart to tell him he had ScummVM and DOSBox confused ;)

haha i new really! just having a blond moment i guess even though i have brown hair lol ... but no i have dos box on my pc but never bothered to use scummvm due to the games not really appealing to me and did think it could run dos games in general (i know better now).

paul3100

DJWillis said:
AJack said:

Glad people like it, the down-scaling is about as good as I can get it. There is really very little I can do to make the text easier to read.
Feedback appreciated as always :)

I wouldn't worry at all, it's really a very minor issue - the sheer brilliance of having games like 'Curse' running flawlessly in the palm of my hand is more than good enough. It's folks like you that make the Caanoo worth having.

DJWillis said:
AJack said:

Feedback appreciated as always :) .

As for paul3100's original comments, I notice nobody seemed to have the heart to tell him he had ScummVM and DOSBox confused ;) .

Thank you DJWillis for your Work on ScummVM!

I tried "Leather Goddess of Phobos 2", the speech isn't working after the initial vioce sequences, it only makes crackling noises. I am not sure, if this is a general problem with this game in ScummVM 1.2.0, but I don't think so, cause the compatibility page only says
:

Game is completable.
- The DOS floppy version is supported by this target
- Only soundblaster music is played. MIDI music playing/MT32 instrument mapping needs more work

Speech isn't mentioned here as an issue, so I think it is a problem with the port. Apart from this, I want to say again, great work, Sam and Max runs considerably faster now, the small hickups are gone. Don't know, if this comes from the new version or the new firmware (touchscreen rate lowered), but it enhances ScummVM considerably.

Is there any way to change the keymapping? Playing many games like Sam & Max and castle of dr. Brain require you to press X multiple times, and when using the stylus in the right hand, it gets a tad awkward.

Back