Scummvm F-200

jubilee

Still Fresh
first off i want to say hello to everone! :)
i'm completely new here, and i have some questions... i hope people don't mind.

lately i've been seriously thinking of buying a gp2x f-200. i always loved the LucasArts PC adventure games, and from what i've understood it's possible to run SCUMMVM on a gp2x. what i'd like to know is this:

how/where can i get the files of these games on a gp2x? i actually own almost all of the old original adventure games on a cd-rom, but that doesn't really help here. is there some way people get them to a gp2x?

i understand that this can be a touchy subject, but if someone can hint me to a place or give advice i'd really appreciate it.

another question is this:
can the gp2x run the cd-rom versions of the SCUMMVM games (with speech and cd music) or are they limited to the DOS versions?

thank you so much!

-j

scumm vm works beautifully on the F-200 with touchscreen support, a truly amazing piece of work!

Since you have the original CD-roms, it should be easy. Copy the content of each cdrom in its own folder on your SD card. From the scummVM interface, when you add a game, you will prompted to chose the folder in which the game files reside. Scummvm will then automagically detect the games and use the files it needs.

If in doubt, download the scummvm for gp2x installation package and check out the readme file. All the information you need are there.

By the way, you can also get the scummvm for pc port and experiment on your PC first, to see how well the games you want to play are supported. Later on, scummvm on the GP2X will work just the same :)

Good luck!
Tim.

Here is the dat list for the files you need to have for your games.
Simply create a subdir in the scummvm folder (or anywhere else on the SD) and point SCUMM to it when adding a game.
SCUMM will support most versions of a game, including CD. There are even tools that let you compress some contents to save space.

Check out the SCUMM website. It has everything you need to know.

thank you a lot for the replies!!

i tried copying some cd-rom files on to my hard drive and they worked perfectly via ScummVM!
that settles it: i'm officially getting an f-200 ASAP :)

thanks again,
-j

Also it's not restricted to DOS games.
Broken Swords and Curse of Monkey Island plays quite well on the GP2X as well :)

And, to add my little bit, the support for the old Sierra AGI (text parser based) adventure games is very impressive. You use a variation of predictive text using the touchscreen and the stylus, and although it is obviously not as convenient as using the keyboard, it works very well.

I have been playing Sam and Max, and so far have not had a single problem. The game works perfectly, touchscreen control is excellent. One thing I would like to change, is the mapping of the keys. Is this possible? I would like the button that changes the active icon to be accessible via the L shoulder button, that way I can change icons with my left hand while using the stylus with my right. Any suggestions?

BadAstronaut said:
I have been playing Sam and Max, and so far have not had a single problem. The game works perfectly, touchscreen control is excellent. One thing I would like to change, is the mapping of the keys. Is this possible? I would like the button that changes the active icon to be accessible via the L shoulder button, that way I can change icons with my left hand while using the stylus with my right. Any suggestions?
Sorry, as it stands the F200 keymap is fixed. I added all the F200 support blind and making it configurable is just too much work and hassle to do without hardware to test on. I do have a long TODO list for F200 specific features but until I get my hands on one that list is on hold.

Actually, ScummVM for the GP2X is currently in a 'support only' state as I don't have a working 2X to try new features but that's another story. On the subject of support releases expect an official 0.11.1 release to match up with the main release in the next few days once I have got a few more people to test it. Plenty of fixes to games, no changes to the GP2X backend however.

Last edited by a moderator:
DJWillis said:
[ once I have got a few more people to test it.
Hey, I'll gladly put a few hours into testing it, if it will help out. PM me with the info.

Furthermore, why don't you put together a donation thread asking for people to help raise funds to get you an F-200 so you can improve SCUMMVM for the system? I would happily pay 10 pounds to a paypal account. Enough of those and you can buy yourself one, what do you think? And this is not for you to profit from SCUMMVM or whatever, but purely the community getting behind you to help you improve our experience of the software... sounds like a win/win to me...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back