Scummvm: Monkey Island 1 - Saving?

Yep it is a different port but
he is obviously working with Ph0x to create it as he said:

"Ph0x sent me over a few patches to his backend today to get unstable 0.5.1 ScummVM support. Considering I have moved away from SDL back to a custom backend I am going to merge big parts of this into my code and continue with the part SDL/part GP32 SDK backend.
Also, I now have a very odd bug that means I can't link MP3 and OGG libraries into the same executable without it crashing :(."

and

he also said

"Regarding the status of gpScumm, here is a little WIP. I have the ph0x’s/my code working well enough on the ScummVM 0.5.1 code base (and CVS code) but performance in some newer games is shockingly bad . Sam and Max and the non-LucasArts games are not really playable (slow or buggy) currently. I have just figured out tonight how (I think) to get it all to build using ARM ADS so if the performance claims are true that could lead to a healthy speed up of maybe even 5-8% over GCC . Other then that there are some fixes to the sound code, save code and a few general speedups/tweaks and little changes to the port, nothing too major. All the fixes that went into the core ScummVM engine from 0.3 > 0.5 are also in there (obvious really).

As soon as I can get most games up to a playable speed then I intend to chuck a public beta and source out of the door. I don't really see the point in releasing a version that is little better then what is already out (or in some cases much slower).

I am also working on adding OGG (libTremor) and MP3 (libMAD) support to gpScumm but a number of issues make that quite slow going, namely the lack of memory on the GP32 and the CPU cycles required to decode the MP3/OGG stream and the fact that fmOPL (the engine ScummVM uses for AdLib synthesis) is a CPU hog on the GP32 making it very hard to get game, MIDI and MP3 or OGG working in the 133MHz speed limit. I have no problem with overclocking but I am dammed if you will have to overclock the program just to get it to work .

Also, the fact that I am really not that good a programmer does not help . I am fairly sure I’ll get it working in the end (I have some great offers of help) but don’t hold your breath."

Hey 0-bake this is probably what you mean by slowness and crashes... but i haven't experienced any yet

Yep it is a different port but
he is obviously working with Ph0x to create it as he said:

"Ph0x sent me over a few patches to his backend today to get unstable 0.5.1 ScummVM support. Considering I have moved away from SDL back to a custom backend I am going to merge big parts of this into my code and continue with the part SDL/part GP32 SDK backend.
Also, I now have a very odd bug that means I can't link MP3 and OGG libraries into the same executable without it crashing :(."

and

he also said

"Regarding the status of gpScumm, here is a little WIP. I have the ph0x’s/my code working well enough on the ScummVM 0.5.1 code base (and CVS code) but performance in some newer games is shockingly bad . Sam and Max and the non-LucasArts games are not really playable (slow or buggy) currently. I have just figured out tonight how (I think) to get it all to build using ARM ADS so if the performance claims are true that could lead to a healthy speed up of maybe even 5-8% over GCC . Other then that there are some fixes to the sound code, save code and a few general speedups/tweaks and little changes to the port, nothing too major. All the fixes that went into the core ScummVM engine from 0.3 > 0.5 are also in there (obvious really).

As soon as I can get most games up to a playable speed then I intend to chuck a public beta and source out of the door. I don't really see the point in releasing a version that is little better then what is already out (or in some cases much slower).

I am also working on adding OGG (libTremor) and MP3 (libMAD) support to gpScumm but a number of issues make that quite slow going, namely the lack of memory on the GP32 and the CPU cycles required to decode the MP3/OGG stream and the fact that fmOPL (the engine ScummVM uses for AdLib synthesis) is a CPU hog on the GP32 making it very hard to get game, MIDI and MP3 or OGG working in the 133MHz speed limit. I have no problem with overclocking but I am dammed if you will have to overclock the program just to get it to work .

Also, the fact that I am really not that good a programmer does not help . I am fairly sure I’ll get it working in the end (I have some great offers of help) but don’t hold your breath."

Hey 0-bake this is probably what you mean by slowness and crashes... but i haven't experienced any yet

I'm using Scumm 160mhz v5 and can't save games. Has this been fixed in a later version? Any help appreciated.
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Talk about brinking out your dead ;).

sebastian_insua Posted Jan 27 2004, 02:40 PM

antaresuk Posted Sep 28 2005, 07:13 PM

:D :D.

antaresuk, look at the response to your post in the newer Monkey Island thread for pointers.

Back