Scummvm - How Does It Work??

major_tom

Still Fresh
Hi, I'm a relatively new GP32 owner, I'm really excited about the possibility of Scumm games on gp32, but I have absolutely no idea how the scummVM emulator actually works, it doesn't seem to work the same as the other emus (i.e. rom files for the games, etc.) could someone explain how I actually get scumm games up and running on my gp? thanks

Each SCUMM game will have several files associated with it. They differ from every game, but usually end in .000 and .001, at least in the case of the ones I have. For example, Sam and Max uses SAMNMAX.000 and SAMNMAX.001, (or sometimes S00 and S01, I think in that case you have to rename them) and Day Of The Tentacle uses TENTACLE.000, TENTACLE.001, and TENTACLE.002. Also, each game will have a MONSTER.SOU file with it that contains all the game's sound.

There are exceptions. Loom has a bunch of numbered .LFL files, and the talkie version's sound is all on an MP3. There may be other exceptions--if in doubt, just copy everything in that game's directory to a directory on your card. If that still doesn't work, either the game you're trying to run isn't supported yet or a file is named wrong.

So it does work kind of like an emulator, except each game takes more than one file ;)

it's easy to do.
create a directory called scummvm on your card then in there put your games
each game should be in it's own directory.
for each game only certain files are needed

samnmax files are samnmax.s00 and samnmax.s01 just rename them to samnmax.000 and .001

if the game contains .000 and .001 files put them into the created directory. if it contains .lfl files put all of them into the created directory.

for sound you need to convert the sound files (.sou) to ogg format (sog) to do this you need to get the scummvmtools off of www.scummvm.org and run extract --vorbis monster.sou to get the ogg. for loom you need to encode the track1.mp3 into ogg format.

REMEMBER THAT ONLY LUCASARTS GAMES OLDER THAN FULL THROTTLE AND COMI WILL WORK ON THIS RELEASE.

they are from the pc versions although I think the amiga works as well. As where to download them, google is the best answer you are going to get.

Back