Screensize Snes < Screensize Gp2x

DijiTao posted on Dec 3 2005 at 10:22 PM said:
yes but your now talking spending cpu resources on this --- we can't even get the snes up to full speed yet -- there's just no way that scaling is going to happen (in a pretty way) any time soon.

right, that's the other part of the story, however I am pretty much sure that the snes emu will soon work at full speed without FS. The scaling itself shouldn't need that much processing power I guess. But the native Resolution Version is still very nice, so who cares anyway.

I am happy with the Res of the GP2x screen, cause with the GBA SNES and NES Emulation was a pain, cause it had a lower res than the actual nes and snes games, scaling games down chops the whole image a lot more than scaling it up...

Last edited by a moderator:
actually the current aspect ratio is incorrect. They should be 4:3 ratio (the scaled without borders pic). People tend to forget that CRTs are capable of displaying non-square pixels. LCD's however can't, so you end up with a squashed image. Just find a game with a supposed square in it and measure the size of the sides to see this.

Filtering isn't too horrible, the video chip itself gives us a number of "free" or at least low cost resizing options. Don't forget these games were designed to be blurred slightly anyway on CRTs (one of the reasons why some snes games look a lot less impressive than you remember when emulating)

I prefer we just get an option. Most emulators give you an option of the size. So everyone will be happy ;)

Mr. Anderson posted on Dec 3 2005 at 10:15 PM said:
Resizing it to 274*240 pixels however, would keep it in the correct aspect ratio and wouldn't stretch it apart!
That´s wrong. If you would own a SNES, you´d know that its aspect ratio was 4:3, just like the gp2x´s screen. Resolution doesn´t matter here, since the SNES was meant to be used with a common cathode ray tube (CRT) TV. Those have, unlike liquid crystal displays (LCD´s), the ability to display pixels of any size. That´s why LCD monitors look blurred if used with low resolution settings, they can´t just increase the size of the pixels, like a CRT monitor does.
The display of a SNES on a CRT TV was 4:3, because the TV didn´t display quadratic pixels but "cuboid" ones, that weren´t as high as they were wide.

Of course high quality scaling would take a great deal of processing power, but the GP2x has 2d accelteration hardware in his second CPU core, which include hardware scaling, which is, by the way, the very same scaling that´s used by the inbuilt movie player.
If this hardware can be used, we could have high quality scaling without any performance decrease, just like the PSP and Zodiac.

Fishbong posted on Dec 4 2005 at 03:06 PM said:
Mr. Anderson posted on Dec 3 2005 at 10:15 PM said:
Resizing it to 274*240 pixels however, would keep it in the correct aspect ratio and wouldn't stretch it apart!
That´s wrong. If you would own a SNES, you´d know that its aspect ratio was 4:3, just like the gp2x´s screen. Resolution doesn´t matter here, since the SNES was meant to be used with a common cathode ray tube (CRT) TV. Those have, unlike liquid crystal displays (LCD´s), the ability to display pixels of any size. That´s why LCD monitors look blurred if used with low resolution settings, they can´t just increase the size of the pixels, like a CRT monitor does.
The display of a SNES on a CRT TV was 4:3, because the TV didn´t display quadratic pixels but "cuboid" ones, that weren´t as high as they were wide.

Oh I do own a SNES but I haven't played it for ages ;)

Of course high quality scaling would take a great deal of processing power, but the GP2x has 2d accelteration hardware in his second CPU core, which include hardware scaling, which is, by the way, the very same scaling that´s used by the inbuilt movie player.

Afaik the Magic Eye chip has it's own 2D Accelerator built in, however I don't know if Coders can access it directly... The Arm940t has some sort of 2D Instructions it can use but it's sure no 2D Accellerator, a 2D Accelerator is the ATI ImgeOn built in the Zodiac for example. Or the chip built in on the GP2x Magic Eye board...

Back