Screen Scratched

bearbear

Still Fresh
Does anyone know how to remove scratches from a gp2x or replace the screen ( i remember seeing a topic about replacing the screen but i cant seem to find it ) i dropped it on concrete and theres a couple big scratches on it now.

is it the screen or the screen protector (plastic bit on attached to the gp2x shell) ?

if its the actual screen its gonna be a pain, if its just the protector you can replace it easily.

sounds like it's the hard plastic piece, right? that's glued into the front of the case, and you can pry it off and replace it with something similar. us mk1 people actually had to install it over the screen, so yeah it's a separate piece.

if you have the tools and can get the materials, you could pick up some glass or plexiglass/lucite/perspex/whatever (it goes by many aliases) anyway and cut it to size and glue it on.

but you might not even have to do that, because i think some or all of the distributors carry this part, just make sure you don't accidentally order the soft plastic film, because they sell those too.

unless, of course, i'm wrong and the film is what you need after all.

Its the hard plastic peice. Its a totally stock mk2. Any idea of what to use to get it off?

bearbear said:
Its the hard plastic peice. Its a totally stock mk2. Any idea of what to use to get it off?
The corner of an old credit card or something similar.

Slide the corner of the card round the edges of the screen plastic gradually teasing it up as you go. You may need to go round a few times to get it completely off, But you don`t risk damaging/scratching the rest of the console in the process, Like you could if you were to use something metal.

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
trooper said:
bearbear said:

Slide the corner of the card round the edges of the screen plastic gradually teasing it up as you go. You may need to go round a few times to get it completely off, But you don`t risk damaging/scratching the rest of the console in the process, Like you could if you were to use something metal.

Trooper

Credit card doesnt fit. And it doesnt look like it would come out without a fight. Do i have to open the 2x to get it out?

bearbear said:
trooper said:
bearbear said:

Trooper

Credit card doesnt fit. And it doesnt look like it would come out without a fight. Do i have to open the 2x to get it out?

It is only stuck down with 4 adhesive strips, So only need to be prised up with something (No need to dismantle your GP2x at all, Thats why i suggested a credit card. I actually used an oyster card (Same dimensions as a credit card used for travel in the uk, But is slightly thinner than a credit card)

Other things to use.

Plastic flexible scraper.
Thinner credit card (Phone cards are sometimes thinner).
The corner of a plastic binder.
plastic spatular (Normally used for cooking).
Corner of a plastic ruler.

***BUT: You could use a knife, Metal scraper or some other thin flat metal object to prise it up, But you do so at your own risk, Because if it slips you could end up not only needing to replace your screen cover.***

Trooper

..i did that long time ago and made more scratches while trying to remove the plastic screen with credit card?? and stanley cutter family
i was expecting more help on similar situation (dust behind the plastic screen)
but i can live with that

a "how to open your gp2x" youTube video could be a better option

Back