Screen Question?

coevin

Hi ive just got my wiz yesterday and i have a question about the screen. I'm new to oled displays but is the wiz screen kind of grainy? Its hard to explain basically in vice the blue screen isn't true blue it kinda has this grain to it, is this normal?

Also how do you downgrade as the screen tearing is deffinately worse since i upgraded the firmware. The old firmware in the archive is missing a file i think.

cheers

GPH never released a full version of the first firmware since its the version supplied with all Wiz's.

However, there are versions on this board (not the file archive).

ok cheers, also is it normal to be able to see the frequency on a very white backdrop?

Hi ive just got my wiz yesterday and i have a question about the screen. I'm new to oled displays but is the wiz screen kind of grainy? Its hard to explain basically in vice the blue screen isn't true blue it kinda has this grain to it, is this normal?

Also how do you downgrade as the screen tearing is deffinately worse since i upgraded the firmware. The old firmware in the archive is missing a file i think.

cheers
Yes. the screen is grainy. It's the touchscreen part of it that makes it grainy. It's not that bad. Deal with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh don't get me wrong i wasn't complaining i just wanted to make sure it wasn't defective, im new to this type of screen. Thanks for the help.

Yes. the screen is grainy. It's the touchscreen part of it that makes it grainy. It's not that bad. Deal with it.
Well that was rude. No it's not the touchscreen overlay that causes it to be grainy or have that pulsating effect on a white screen. Try to know what you are talking about before bitching someone out.

cheers weston, i ignored the tone of the previous post. Like i said i'm new to the screen and having had problems with the gp2x from the box was just making sure. Hope the pandora is coming along smoothly can't wait for my order, until then the wiz is doing me just fine.

cheers weston, i ignored the tone of the previous post. Like i said i'm new to the screen and having had problems with the gp2x from the box was just making sure. Hope the pandora is coming along smoothly can't wait for my order, until then the wiz is doing me just fine.
It's not the fact that it is a touchscreen that would make it grainy. I have several devices with touch screens and only 1 of them is grainy (casio be-300). I've never seen an oled screen before (to my knowledge), but aren't they supposed to be better than a tft?

Chris

It's not the fact that it is a touchscreen that would make it grainy. I have several devices with touch screens and only 1 of them is grainy (casio be-300). I've never seen an oled screen before (to my knowledge"], but aren't they supposed to be better than a tft?[/quote]Chris

Well first it is a TFT (Thin Film Transistor) but not an LCD. TFT just refers to the fact that it is active matrix. It just means that there is an array of transistors on the display itself.

It is better than an LCD in many ways. The grain is a result from the way that this particular screen is made. It is normal.

I've noticed this too. But it be due to dithering that the Pollux provides? From what I understood, dithering should only be relevant when you're going from a higher color depth to a lower one, like 24bpp to 16bpp. But maybe somehow it could have some affect in what the screen is doing, which should be 16bpp (usually) to 18bpp.

cheers
all the touchscreen devices are like that. The wiz screen is amazing anyway, maybe the best i've ever seen on an handheld.
The psp one looks cool but has an horrid refresh rate causing blurriness and several other issues for example

I totally agree the screen is the best ive used on a handheld, it was really just a question to make sure i didn't have a faulty system. Not knowing about the technology i wasn't really sure on what to expect. Cheers for the info guys.

Well, I wondered what that dithered pattern behind the screen is too. It's not the hardware dithering support because this one doesn't change according to the colors on the screen, it's just like a static blended faint background layer barely visible. Sometimes it gives a cool look in specific games but I wonder if it can ever go away?

Back