Screen Capture Software

poodle

Still Fresh
I'd like to see this for gp2x that can capture the screen at any moment and output it to a jpg, gif, or bmp file. I know it can be done because there already exists software that runs in the background waiting for key combos to be pressed as "Hotkey" does.

No, I'm pretty certain he meant he knows it exists on the gp2x. He mentioned hotkey, which is a gp2x app that runs in the background and executes various things when button combinations are pressed, and one of the included apps is a screen grabber. Which is why I don't understand what he's asking for.

My original post really spells it out.

I said, "I'd like to see this for gp2x that can capture the screen at any moment and output it to a jpg, gif, or bmp file."

The function in hotkey that allows for screen capture requires other processes to be performed in order to output the capture, and once that is done it's in .png format. This is entirely different than what I'm talking about, but it is sufficient evidence that the program I'm talking about is tangible.

Did you really think that I came on here suggesting a program that I knew already existed? Do people actually do things like that?

poodle said:
My original post really spells it out.

I said, "I'd like to see this for gp2x that can capture the screen at any moment and output it to a jpg, gif, or bmp file."

The function in hotkey that allows for screen capture requires other processes to be performed in order to output the capture, and once that is done it's in .png format. This is entirely different than what I'm talking about, but it is sufficient evidence that the program I'm talking about is tangible.

Did you really think that I came on here suggesting a program that I knew already existed? Do people actually do things like that?

... ok, then are you somehow prejudiced against the .png format? You could convert it very easily into .jpg .gif or .bmp

I use IRfanView, it's free and very easy to use. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get what's so hard to understand here.

With hotkey the image is a raw file that has to be converted to .png at which point then it can be converted to jpg.

The most common image files are jpg, gif, and bmp files. The most practical solution is quite obviously to have screen capture software that saves images in the most compatible formats (or at the very least in selectable, multiple formats), as opposed to advocating that the file be converted multiple times over several different platforms.

So instead of having a program that saves to a particular file format, instead it's advocated that we just use hotkey, take the capture to produce a raw image, convert to png, transfer the file to a pc, use third party software to then convert to jpg...

I use irfanview also, it's great, but it shouldn't be requisite in performing a very basic function that should be available to the gp2x.

Oh.

Have you tried Fgrab? That creates a .png, I believe ...

TelcoLou said:
Oh.

Have you tried Fgrab? That creates a .png, I believe ...
I haven't yet, but in the readme it says something about setting it up to take a capture in 10 seconds (i.e. fire it off and 10 seconds from launch it will take a capture). A bit weird and unusable.

I like irfanview. Hit the hotkey and voila, you got the screen in whatever format you like. That's what we need for the gp2x.

i dont get your problem, irfenview can convert the .raw to any format you want, and png surely is one of the best formats, why would you want a shitty jpg?

The 10 seconds is set as a command line parameter in the start script.

It's there to allow you to run it from the menu, you then have 10 seconds to get to where you want the screenshot.

I run it via telnet with no delay.

Vimacs said:
i dont get your problem, irfenview can convert the .raw to any format you want, and png surely is one of the best formats, why would you want a shitty jpg?
CMYK support, smaller size, required file format for sending to a third party host... it doesn't really matter. I'm just looking for a way to save as a file type that I need (not necessarily a superior file type) without having to do multiple conversions on different platforms.

I run it via telnet with no delay.

And that would involve yet another step on another machine.

I sincerely appreciate all of the advice on how to get a screenshot from the gp2x and convert it to the desired file format. My desire (and suggestion) however is to have a program that can capture directly to a specific file type (perhaps even video type) of the user's choice, thereby eliminating the need for multiple platforms, multiple conversions, and the like.

There's no need to do multiple conversions, you can convert the .raw directly to your favourite format.

But I have to agree with others - PNG is much better than JPG, GIF or BMP. GIF is actually the worst file format to use, JPG is too lossy for most people and BMP is just for people wanting the raw data with a header.

Squidge said:
There's no need to do multiple conversions, you can convert the .raw directly to your favourite format.

But I have to agree with others - PNG is much better than JPG, GIF or BMP. GIF is actually the worst file format to use, JPG is too lossy for most people and BMP is just for people wanting the raw data with a header.
Ok, that will be the route I'll take then. Raw to jpg, thanks.

I don't disagree with the notion that .png is superior than those other types, it's just that some situations require a specific file type (like a host site requiring jpg format for size considerations) and it's just easier if there is a program that will capture to jpg rather than having to convert hundreds of shots.

poodle said:
and it's just easier if there is a program that will capture to jpg rather than having to convert hundreds of shots.
True. The problem is most coders are purists and purists don't use JPG because there's always a tiny bit of compression which means the original image is lost forever :)

Yes, I'm a coder too :)

I wouldn't say compression, as compressed files can usually be decompressed to there original format. I would say that jpeg loses the original picture and "estimates" it because it is a lossy format, unlike PNG/etc.

But then again I'm a purist ;)

Squidge said:
I wouldn't say compression, as compressed files can usually be decompressed to there original format. I would say that jpeg loses the original picture and "estimates" it because it is a lossy format, unlike PNG/etc.

But then again I'm a purist ;)
Alright, LOSSY compression :D

Back