Sandisk Ultra Ii Sd Cards - Which Are Ok To Use?

MustangGT

Still Fresh
Hiya,

Just ordered my GP2X and joined the forums this morning :)

I thought i would get everything at once and grab an SD card also.

There are many to choose from but, i found the Sandisk Ultra II range looked nice and had a good spec.

Does anybody know if the 4GB model works on the GP2X? Or how about the 2GB version?

If not, what is a good 4GB to use on the GP2X?

Thanks alot,

MGT

MustangGT posted on Feb 28 2007 at 12:31 PM said:
Hiya,

Just ordered my GP2X and joined the forums this morning :)

I thought i would get everything at once and grab an SD card also.

There are many to choose from but, i found the Sandisk Ultra II range looked nice and had a good spec.

Does anybody know if the 4GB model works on the GP2X? Or how about the 2GB version?

If not, what is a good 4GB to use on the GP2X?

Thanks alot,

MGT

IMO those SD cards whilst very nice do not represent the best value for money. My Keymem 4GB is much more keenly priced (from 7dayshop.com) and works just as well in use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a SanDisk Ultra II 2g and two Adata 4g sd cards. The SanDisk is fine, but it cost as much as the two Adata cards combined, and it's a slower card. Get the Adata 4g cards.

Does anybody know if the GP2X can take advantage of the 66X, 133X, 150X etc. cards extra speed? There's only a point in buying a fast one if a bog-standard one performs worse.

The 2GB Sandisk Extreme III seems a popular choice online right now. (AKA many places haven't got stock! :lol: )

Laser posted on Feb 28 2007 at 03:37 PM said:
Does anybody know if the GP2X can take advantage of the 66X, 133X, 150X etc. cards extra speed? There's only a point in buying a fast one if a bog-standard one performs worse.

The 2GB Sandisk Extreme III seems a popular choice online right now. (AKA many places haven't got stock! :lol: )
I'm not sure if they do or not, but I've got the 150x and it seems a lot faster that the old Sandisk card I had in my digital camera. And even if they don't right now I'm sure sometime in the future the firmware will take advantage of it.

Unfortunately, SD card manufacturers might say 150x or whatever, but that's read sped. Write speed can vary dramatically and writing is almost as important on GP2X. Games saves can take forever on a slow card.

Ive been searching all day for a suitable card lol. Initially i was after a 4GB, but then thought for the time being i can make do with a 2GB as its early days and i literally purchased the GP2X yesterday morning, after stumbling across the GP2X.co.uk website LOL! Seriously i have not once seen this handheld, nor knew it existed.

I have never been so convinced about a gaming product as i was with the GP2X, and thats a great sign.

Oh before i forgot, the SD Card was a Sandisk Extreme III 2GB, its spec is minimum 20MB/s read&write, 133X. This is a perfect card for me, till i get used to the GP2X and all its great goodies, i will buy a 4GB in a few months time. :)

imhotep posted on Feb 28 2007 at 11:15 PM said:
Unfortunately, SD card manufacturers might say 150x or whatever, but that's read sped. Write speed can vary dramatically and writing is almost as important on GP2X. Games saves can take forever on a slow card.

Quake gamesaves on my Ridata 4GB card took...40 seconds, at least. On my 1GB Sandisk Extreme III it's instantaneous.

As far as I know the Extreme III is the fastest card out there. I use mine for games, and the 4GB is solely for video.

i have en scandisk Etreme III and i can say that is realy fast but is as fast as the kingston

I'm using a 2GB Kingston standard-speed that I got from SVP. It seems to be a rebranded Toshiba SD (part number on the back is SD-M02G).

Probably not the fastest card, but it works in the GP2X, has enough room for lots of MAME/SMD/Lynx ROMs and a few videos too. Video seems fairly smooth too - as smooth as I'd expect on a handheld.

You do need a decent card reader though - the ones based on the SMSC chipset can't handle cards over 1GB. FWIW I'm using a Jessops 'universal card reader' which is USB2 High Speed (480Mbit best-case) and works pretty well. Use a USB1.1 or USB2 Full Speed card reader only if you have lots of time to sit staring at the progress bar slooowly moving to the right :p

philpem posted on Mar 2 2007 at 12:51 AM said:
You do need a decent card reader though - the ones based on the SMSC chipset can't handle cards over 1GB.
Do you have a pointer to a list of which card readers have that chipset?

I haven't got a complete list, but the one reader I've got with that chipset is pretty much unbranded except for the text:
7 IN 1 USB CARD READER
Model No : PT-7120
MADE IN TAIWAN

It's silver, has five LEDs (one for each card type), and carries the text "7-in-1 CARD READER", a Nike-style swoosh, and the USB2 High Speed logo.

Back