Same default theme for unregistered and registered users

multiplex

I just registered, and was a bit surprised that the board theme changed as soon as I logged in. Seems that unregistered users get the "Pandora" theme, while new users have "openHanhelds"(sic) as default?

I'm using the OpenHandhelds theme again, because navigation is much easier from the forum index. The only thing I don't like is the mouseover highlighting.

I think this is the offending code:
Code:
<td class="row1" width="100%" onmouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#FAFAFA';" onmouseout="this.style.backgroundColor='#EFEFEF';" <snip>

Any chance a Greasemokey guru could disable it?

[edit] I'd also really dig it if the rows themselves weren't links, I'd prefer to click the row text to navigate. Maybe I'm just being too fussy and I should go outside for a while.

Gruso said:
I'm using the OpenHandhelds theme again, because navigation is much easier from the forum index. The only thing I don't like is the mouseover highlighting.

I think this is the offending code:
Code:
<td class="row1" width="100%" onmouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#FAFAFA';" onmouseout="this.style.backgroundColor='#EFEFEF';" <snip>

Any chance a Greasemokey guru could disable it?

[edit] I'd also really dig it if the rows themselves weren't links, I'd prefer to click the row text to navigate. Maybe I'm just being too fussy and I should go outside for a while.
Just ask ED for now, he'll make the changes if you ask him nicely; I'm on Fedora 2.5 beta 4, which doesn't support GM or FireBug so no script from me :p

Ah, I don't think it's worth changing the forum code on my account. I hate mouseover stuff, but it's in every app, desktop and webpage these days so I guess most people like it.

The rows shouldn't be links since a week now... only highlighting is still there.

Chip said:
What browser are you using? The rows are not linky with Firefox.
Yes they are, in the sense that they change background image when you hover over them.
And the subforum links are still clickable, but that's not an issue I suppose.

PS. I don't think that linkiness is browser-dependent ;)

I know what's going on. The linkyness was removed in subforum mode: when navigating from the board index (the forums are clickable, which is OK.) and clicking on topics it does not link; but on "View new posts" it still links, which is the mode most of us use.

gp2.eXe said:
I know what's going on. The linkyness was removed in subforum mode: when navigating from the board index (the forums are clickable, which is OK.) and clicking on topics it does not link; but on "View new posts" it still links, which is the mode most of us use.
Aah, the joy of ununified templates... The best thing in web design ever...

Btw, has anyone noticed that there's a "nice" transition effect when going to new pages in this forum when viewing it in IE? Reading through the source code shows that this should be the case; a kind of "fading" effect. Anyone with IE able to confirm?

Anyways, one solution to the problem of the subforum links at least (where clicking the whole bar actually is useful sometimes, seeing as it's fast) would be to use the "href"-attribute on the link table cells themselves, effectively making them into proper links (that can be opened in other tabs etc)

dflemstr said:
Btw, has anyone noticed that there's a "nice" transition effect when going to new pages in this forum when viewing it in IE? Reading through the source code shows that this should be the case; a kind of "fading" effect. Anyone with IE able to confirm?
IE, haven't used that in a while...
Hmmm... Indeed there's fading, it looks very nice, the scrolling through the page is smoother also...

Edit: Still not a good reason to use IE however... :p

gp2.eXe said:
dflemstr said:
IE, haven't used that in a while...
Hmmm... Indeed there's fading, it looks very nice, the scrolling through the page is smoother also...

Edit: Still not a good reason to use IE however... :p

Yeah i noticed that when i (abnormally) browsed here on a public computer and went "Dang, why this place looks better on IE than firefox..."
Really not a good reason to use IE,but would it be possible to "port" that effect to work on firefox? (sorry, i'm lazy and didnt research on this)

gp2.eXe said:
Ah, that's it. Thread rows aren't links, but subforum rows still are.

urjaman said:
Really not a good reason to use IE,but would it be possible to "port" that effect to work on firefox? (sorry, i'm lazy and didnt research on this)
With a little AJAX, Facebook-style, it's possible. Ultimately, however, the browser has control over display when you're truly moving from page to page. IE provides proprietary instructions to allow for all kinds of goodies like marque. ;)

javaJake said:
urjaman said:
With a little AJAX, Facebook-style, it's possible. Ultimately, however, the browser has control over display when you're truly moving from page to page. IE provides proprietary instructions to allow for all kinds of goodies like marque. ;)
Ie uses a hackish HTML "standard" so you really shouldn't use it's hack API. Better to preload a page in an iFrame and then fade it in with jQuery as mentioned.

Anyways, please don't remove the linkyness of the subforums, it's actually useful; instead try to fix the hyperlink issue.

Yeah, I'm not going to push for a change. Especially seeing as I'm the only one complaining. :D I've got really trigger happy mouse fingers for some reason, I'm always right clicking or wheel clicking accidentally. Then I have to left click to clear the context menu / scroll thingy. So when every part of the screen is a link :wacko: ...anyway, it's just my malfunction. I blame years of tense AutoCAD wrist.

Back