Making attachments available for everyone?

Christoph.Krn

Advanced Member
I just read You'll hate this post. And you'll love this post. on a system where I wasn't logged in, and I could only look at the thumbnails of the photos. The full-size photos are only available to registered users, but not to visitors.

I know that this is common for online forums, but I'd argue that for this forum here it might just make more sense if attachments in posts were accessible by any person. By that I don't only mean attachments in news posts, but all attachments, in all posts.

Comments/thoughts?

While I do find it annoying when it happens to me on other forums I think it also helps (forces) new members to join. Membership has it privileges. :cool:

I think that while we've lost the old development blog (the old URL now tells you to go to the boards while it gets set up again), having publicly accessible pictures and whatnot from the news posts is essential at least. For other topics it's more debatable, but I'd hope the attraction of being able to help shape the Pyra and its software would be a big enough draw, even if people could download everything without an account, and I also see a positive benefit from not requiring a user account, for a device that espouses freedom. User accounts should be entirely optional, and we should avoid anything that coerces people into signing up.

@EvilDragon and while you are at it: can you take a look at the allowed file name extensions: I had trouble posting a .patch file as attachment (had to disguise it as .txt)!!

Back