Samba Server

u9i

Call me Uni
Website
riotdigital.com
I have made a start script and modified the samba daemon smbd that came with the Caanoo, so now you can access your sd card as a network share. See the download archive for more info (and the sales pitch :) )

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,116,534

Hope this will be a help for some people

/Uni

thanks just what i needed, although a sambaclient would be nice as well to mount my network shares on the caanoo itselve (the other way around, from what it is doing now), but i guess that needs porting ;)

Thank you for this application!
It will help me for sure!

you said:
"(using a WIFI module, or USBNET), you can now access your SD card [...] "

with "USBNET" do you mean a USB to ethernet(cabled) adapter like this?

No, i mean this baby: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/56634-usb-ethernet-with-stock-usb-cable/

:)

I had some trouble setting it up but i finally got it working. I can now surf the internet with our new browser and copy files to my caanoo while i am developing. Ask if you get stuck.

Last edited by a moderator:
grew on the download comment:

Can you explain what to do when Samba is running? How to access Caanoo files from windows?

Well, it is like any network share. In windows explorer (not internet explorer), or in the run dialog, you type the address: //ipaddress/sdcard

My Caanoo has IP 192.168.2.200 so i write //192.168.2.200/sdcard to access the files on the caanoo.

Let me know if it works out.

There are 2 problems one which is fixeable and another one which i don't know how it happens :

1) since you run the deamon from the /mnt/sd (mounted sd card) the card will always be in use which means you can not mount the usb for the connection anymore, it gives errors about filesystem being in use
2) i can not copy files however i can edit existing files, keeps giving me an "invalid command" error when trying to copy over new files ;)

the 1st error can be fixed by letting your script overwrite the original deamon on the nand filesystem (just replace it) not certain if it would work though, but in any case stopping the samba server should fix it all

problem 2 i have no clue about..

Btw any progress with the samba client ? :)

Sorry, i missed your comment. I don't have a Caanoo at the moment. Apparently it is now in Korea for repairs. I think i had no problem copying files over, but now i am wondering if i only overwrote existing files. I will look into it when i get my Caanoo back.

/Uni

Trying to get this going doing me nut in lol

EDIT: Finally done it using \\192.168.1.3\sdcard not //192.168.1.3/sdcard
Mapped it as a network drive ;)

joyrider said:
thanks just what i needed, although a sambaclient would be nice as well to mount my network shares on the caanoo itselve (the other way around, from what it is doing now), but i guess that needs porting ;)
Bumped this to version 3.5.10, included the nmbd daemon and also the CIFS kernel module.
You can get it here.

ruffnutts said:
So what makes thids version better?
The reason for the bump was simply because I wanted to have the nmbd daemon (helps with the automagic stuff) and couldn't find the sources for this release. Since I would to have to compile from scratch I decided to give it a bump to the latest stable version.
But to answer your question, it includes all of the fixes that have been release since version 2.2.5 :p (and I have also included the CIFS kernel module that allows you to mount Windows/Samba network shares on your CAANOO)

I downloaded the Samba 3.5.10 + CIFS 2.6.24 update (samba-3.5.10.tar.gz - 29/07/2011), but how do I apply the contents of this to the original Samba (07/10/2010) application on my CAANOO?

I opened the archive and extracted the Network Shares app from the bin folder to the CAANOO, but what do I do with the following files found in the src folder?

linux-2.6.24-caanoo-cifs.patch
README_linux-2.6.24-caanoo-cifs
README_samba-3.5.10
samba-3.5.10-caanoo.patch 

Downloaded the original Samba from here.
Downloaded the 3.5.10 update from here.

I'm not a linux expert so I don't know how to apply these files to patch the original Samba version.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Back