Samba Not Working

jbess

Still Fresh
I have USB networking up and functioning. I can telnet fine to my GP2X. I can turn on Samba server, and I can open and navigate the folders with Windows Explorer by using //gp2x/gp2x/.....

However, my problem comes when I try to transfer files to the GP2X. The window locks up, and no files are transferred. I tried a small wav file, and it created the file on the GP2X, but it was 0 bytes. I can copy FROM the GP2X to Windows, just not TO the GP2X. Does anyone have this issue?

I am using the NDIS driver from the archives, which is version 5.1.2600 dated 3/30/2004 (according to my hardware manager). The file on the archives has not changed since April, so I know it's the same one I am using.

EDIT: Just noticed that when I try to transfer the file to the GP2X, I loose connectivity (can't ping my GP2X). Maybe this is a clue?

sorry this isn't much help, but i can at least confirm that this doesn't happen to me. sounds like low batteries maybe? one thing you could try is to telnet in, and leave the session open before you access the samba share.

edit: actually, it sounds like a faulty cable. usb is serial and sends the bits quickly one after the other...so i'd imagine when you transfer files you're basically hammering the thing and exposing any weakness. try finding a different usb-to-usb-mini cable, they're pretty common. if that doesn't help, then unfortunately i can't think of anything else. if your usb networking is good, then the driver's doing it's job (i think). the samba still has to work on top of the tcp/ip layer. the only difference that i can see is one of activity levels.

sorry this isn't much help, but i can at least confirm that this doesn't happen to me. sounds like low batteries maybe? one thing you could try is to telnet in, and leave the session open before you access the samba share.

edit: actually, it sounds like a faulty cable. usb is serial and sends the bits quickly one after the other...so i'd imagine when you transfer files you're basically hammering the thing and exposing any weakness. try finding a different usb-to-usb-mini cable, they're pretty common. if that doesn't help, then unfortunately i can't think of anything else. if your usb networking is good, then the driver's doing it's job (i think). the samba still has to work on top of the tcp/ip layer. the only difference that i can see is one of activity levels.

Just tried a different cable, and same thing. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
what fw version, how big is the sd, and so on...
gotta give some info you know.
But anyway, even if you have it working right its not really a good idear to use it to fill your sd with it, to slow and unreliable.
Samba is nice for development but you should really get a cardreader for evryday usage, they are dirt cheap anyway.

what fw version, how big is the sd, and so on...
gotta give some info you know.
But anyway, even if you have it working right its not really a good idear to use it to fill your sd with it, to slow and unreliable.
Samba is nice for development but you should really get a cardreader for evryday usage, they are dirt cheap anyway.

FW 2.1.0, 4GB SD card. I have a card reader, and use it often. However my problem I have is if I am telnetted into the GP2X, I cannot transfer files using the USB method, since this is disabled once you have USB networking on. It would be easy to just FTP or drag/drop in a samba share while connected. I guess I failed to mention both FTP AND Samba have this problem, but my main concern is Samba.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back