Getting The Samba Client To Work...

PokeParadox posted on May 3 2006 at 01:20 AM said:
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong... but I keep getting "Failed to find real path for mount point" After doing this:
"smbmnt //10.1.0.234/GP2X /mnt/ext"

I've also tried
smbmnt //KEVS/GP2X /mnt/ext

and
smbmnt //10.1.0.234/GP2X /mnt/winshared

and
smbmnt //KEVS/GP2X /mnt/winshared

but it just refuses to mount this shared directory :( Any ideas?

make sure you have all the options in the extended system menu from the gp2x turned on,
smbmnt //10.1.0.234/GP2X /mnt/winshared
did the thang for me, but i used /mnt/ext instead so it goes in the ext. file storage folder from which you cna easily run your stuff from on the gp2x
if it really doesnt work, try changing 234 to 235, i forgot which one you actually have to type in here, its getting so confusing... but maybe that works, just try it out
good luck!

edit: ahh i forgot something! try first this:
modprobe smbfs

THEN:
smbmnt //10.1.0.234/GP2X /mnt/winshared -o username=root,password=root

(notice the new last part)

and change 234 to 235 if it doesnt work ;) and really, ext ist more useful than winshared^^

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT: Ignore this for now I spotted a mistake I made.
EDIT2: There was no mistake, it's just weird truncation in the Telnet window...

I tried that, and it still doesn't work for me. All the menu options are turned on in the extended menu.

This is exactly what happened:

Linux 2.4.25 (gp2x) (ttyp0)

gp2x login: root

[root@gp2x root]$
[root@gp2x root]$modprobe smbfs
Using /lib/modules/2.4.25/kernel/smbfs.o
[root@gp2x root]$
<0.1.0.234/GP2X /mnt/ext -o username=root,password=root
Failed to find real path for mount point
[root@gp2x root]$
[root@gp2x root]$smbmnt //10.1.0.235/GP2X /mnt/ext -o username=root,password=r>
[root@gp2x root]$
<0.1.0.235/GP2X /mnt/ext -o username=root,password=root
[root@gp2x root]$
[root@gp2x root]$

well, try again with 234... Also I remember i always had, when it worked right, 2 error messages, but they didnt do anything bad, it went perfect. So, don't wait til you got no error messages, just try it as often as you can :>

I tried doing it this way:

[root@gp2x mnt]$
[root@gp2x mnt]$smbmnt /mnt/ext -s //Kevs/GP2X
ERROR: smbfs filesystem not supported by the kernel
Please refer to the smbmnt(8) manual page

Another question, to use mnt/ext/ do you have to actually turn USB host and Storage on?

i have done an GPU file to acces to my directory on the PC but i can't acces to it on the GP2x. My computer name is Yod4z, i think there no diference between put the Ip on the computer name. My computer is in another workgroup than my GP2x but i think is not a problem. what i have wrong?

#!/bin/sh
insmod smbfs.o
smbmount //Yod4z/_Films /mnt/ext
cd /usr/gp2x
./gp2xmenu

PokeParadox posted on May 3 2006 at 11:22 PM said:
I tried doing it this way:

[root@gp2x mnt]$
[root@gp2x mnt]$smbmnt /mnt/ext -s //Kevs/GP2X
ERROR: smbfs filesystem not supported by the kernel
Please refer to the smbmnt(8) manual page

Another question, to use mnt/ext/ do you have to actually turn USB host and Storage on?

Don't know, but when i had that "ERROR: smbfs filesystem not supported by the kernel" failure, i tried modprobe smbfs again, and from then on it worked.

Yod4z posted on May 4 2006 at 08:40 AM said:
i have done an GPU file to acces to my directory on the PC but i can't acces to it on the GP2x. My computer name is Yod4z, i think there no diference between put the Ip on the computer name. My computer is in another workgroup than my GP2x but i think is not a problem. what i have wrong?

#!/bin/sh
insmod smbfs.o
smbmount //Yod4z/_Films /mnt/ext
cd /usr/gp2x
./gp2xmenu

mh, i think you have to smbmount from the pc, not from the gp2x... via telnet
you actually dont have to do anything on the gp2x, except copying the files from the samba client to it

i have installed the SAMBA client on the GP2x via the PC. I think it's possible to mount partition via an Script gpu like in telnet,no?

Edit:
Yes it work :D
with this it work very weel on my gp2x now i have juste to connect my GP2x with USB cable to my PC and launch the gpu scrip on the gp2x :D

#!/bin/sh
insmod smbfs.o
smbmount //192.168.1.1/_Films /mnt/ext -o username=administrateur,password=yod4z
cd /usr/gp2x
./gp2xmenu

My computer Pc have the 192.168.1.1 Ip Adresse and My GP2x have 192.168.1.10 IP adresse. I have just installed the samba client file from the archive on the nand of gp2x.

this really doesn't like me >_>

I'm sure I am mounting it now... but....

[root@gp2x /]$cd mnt
[root@gp2x mnt]$
[root@gp2x mnt]$cd ext
[root@gp2x ext]$
[root@gp2x ext]$ls
ls: .: Stale NFS file handle

I also tried accessing it with the menu... but no luck...

EDIT: @Yod4z: Wasn't there an autorun facility on the new FW? You might be able to auto mount on startup? :)

PokeParadox posted on May 4 2006 at 06:16 PM said:
EDIT: @Yod4z: Wasn't there an autorun facility on the new FW? You might be able to auto mount on startup? :)

Yes i did this putting the autorun.gpu file in the root of my sd card :D

On my GP2x there's no ext repertoy in mnt i created them and it work, before that i have an error ;)

nickspoon posted on May 5 2006 at 02:08 PM said:
PokeParadox: Are you sure you're insmoding the .o?

Yes I am...

Yod4z said:
On my GP2x there's no ext repertoy in mnt i created them and it work, before that i have an error wink.gif

Yeah I'm just going to heck that the dir is there now... Although I'm sure it was....

EDIT: Well I've checked the dir is there.... I think the command executed properly:

[root@gp2x root]$
[root@gp2x root]$modprobe smbfs
Using /lib/modules/2.4.25/kernel/smbfs.o
[root@gp2x root]$
[root@gp2x root]$smbmnt /mnt/ext -s //10.1.0.234

Unfortunately, selecting the EXT option in the GP2X menu shows nothing! *sigh*

for me i have juste this options:
Ecran1.png

Ecran2.png

and using my GPU file work perfecly ;)

#!/bin/sh
insmod smbfs.o
smbmount //Kevs/PC_gp2x /mnt/ext
cd /usr/gp2x
./gp2xmenu

I've changed a few things around now, and the script executes and brings me back to the menu. But I still get nothing in the EXT menu option! I definately have files there... I AM supposed to see GPE files if I go GAME>EXT Storage, right?

I thought the EXT menus were for loading files from usb host mass storage devices, or am I mistaken?

That is correct, but you can still mount stuff under /mnt/ext, should you want to access samba stuff from the menu but not sacrifice use of SD or NAND.

Technically you are correct. Although it's apparently possible to use Samba to mount a shared folder to /mnt/ext and access file from the PC.

Obviously you can see why this would be a great asset from a development point of view.

EDIT: I'm now wondering if it's something it doesn't like on the PC side of things... Are there any settings (WinXP) that may muck things up for the GP2X trying to connect to my PC?
(I have no crappy windows firewall running)

PokeParadox have you activated the invited user in your windows administrator settings? can you acces to your pc throut another pc?

just had "smbmount //Kevs/PC_gp2x /mnt/ext -o username=LoginWindows,password=WindowsPasword"

Ah right... I mount pc shares in /mnt/pc and run stuff via telnet rather than the menu, I find it easier than using the menu each time as I recompile so often :)

i'm trying ""smbmnt //10.1.0.234/gp2x /mnt/ext
and getting "failed to find real path for mount point"
anyone know my problem?

EDIT: I used
smbmount //10.1.0.234/SharedDocs /mnt/ext
instead and it worked perfectly, i used the modprobe smbfs also
it was because on my shared files, shareddocs was the only folder available

Back