Running x86 Applications?

WolfSpider

I've heard that such a thing will be possible on the Pyra. What I'm wondering is how limited these applications will be. For example, is there any way to run DirectX 9 software?

Using an emulator like QEMU or the closed source (and very much worth the money) ExaGear Desktop by Eltech, it is possible to run x86 programs on ARM; that "program" can be Wine and a lot of good progress has been made towards running Windows apps and games on the Pandora and the Pyra dev board.
Search the forum for Exagear for some examples.

I thought Wine had support for DX9. Casual googling seems to suggest it almost has support for DX11. Why you see it as unlikely?

altho im not sure what version of opengl the pyra will support, i had good success running d3d9 games on wine with gpu only supporting opengl 2.2

i do believe most d3d9 instructions can be done on open gl 2 and open gl 3 is mostly needed for d3d10 stuff (which im not sure wine support at all XD)

The drivers we get for the pyra has no full OpenGL support at all, it only has OpenGL|ES 1 and 2, with some extensions.

Full OpenGL 1.x support is provided using glshim. A version supporting full OpenGL 2.x is something _aegis_ wants to work on, but it's a massive undertaking.

My attempts at running Linux x86 version of Shovel Knight on Pandora have been unsuccessful so far due to it's use of OpenGL 2.x (why does a retro 2D platformer use OpenGL? :mad:). Also tried Undertale via wine but it crashes on start as well.

So yeah, it's not so easy to run x86 which requires OpenGL 2.x or higher.

Ack, I forgot about the restrictions on glshim. I withdraw previous statements of likelihood.

Speaking of exagear, which version should be compatible with the Pyra?
From their site there are a ton of different ones, depending on the host device.

Speaking of exagear, which version should be compatible with the Pyra?
From their site there are a ton of different ones, depending on the host device.

The CPU uses the ARMv7 architecture, so the generic ARMv7 version (on the "other" tab) should be the right one.

Back