Running CatFish

shideneyu

Still Fresh
Hello,

Thunar doesn't provide a search tool; I found on internet a very tiny software named "catfish" ( http://software.twotoasts.de/index.php?/pages/catfish_summary.html ) which provides thunar a search tool.

I'm trying to compile it into a ipk file, I succeed, but I can't run it; I don't master this domain, that's why I didn't make directly a pnd, but the error while running the ipk is "RuntimeError: Bad magic number in .pyc file" ;

But before this, while installing, It miss me python-glade2 and python-gtk2 ; I didn't succeed to find them in the angstrom repo

If someone can help ;)

Here's my ipk

[Edit] I can't upload a Ipk file directly in the forum :eek:

"Error You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file"

Just rename "catfish.zip" to "catfish.ipk"...

catfish.zip

Attachments

• catfish.zip
    38.8 KB · Views: 154
Last edited by a moderator:
I am confused. What do you mean when you say you "compiled" an ipk? ipk, like PND, is just a package format, not an executable binary. So how are you executing it? Furthermore, the error you see is from Python, which is an interpreted language that doesn't need to be compiled. So a number of things here don't make sense.

But that particular Python error comes from version conflicts. To avoid that, try performing the build on a Pandora. PyGTK (including Glade) is already included, so you don't need to worry about dependencies.

I made an ipk of catfish for you on my Pandora. To install it, download the attachment. unzip it and then type

Code:
sudo opkg install catfish_0.3.2_armv7a.ipk

I don't really understand python to be honest, so I don't know why yours doesn't work, but I'm guessing from what Tempel says that you've a higher version of Python on your computer (Python 3 perhaps?)

catfishipk.zip

Attachments

• catfishipk.zip
    96.5 KB · Views: 145
thanks for the package :wub: However some dependances are still missing (deb-package or something like that)

Thanks anyways ;)

Oh and y, I have python 3 on my desktop :eek:

Thanks for your efforts so far. During my jog, my beloved catfish has died though.

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry, as they usually live a long time in the darkest hellholes of tanks, happy as anyone not in one, yet I stuck him on a leash and after a crack block or so at high speed, I resumed dragging it round the Park. Of note, is that unlike a puppy, equally pebbledashed, which attracts huge crowds of well meaning misguided types, the pulp of a catFish got me no action at all. Sure IPK maybe but that was a total waste of my Pandora time and I feel kinda in need of an icecream to forget things now.

I'm not sure which reply is more confusing ;)

sideneya: can you clarify what error you've getting and what it is that's giving you it.

It should be a case of:

1) Download the file I attached to your Pandora

2) unzip it

3) run sudo opkg install catfish_0.3.2_armv7a.ipk

4) start catfish from menu->accessories->catfish

Where's it going wrong?

WOOOT it worked :D :D  I'm sorry I failed the first time, I didn't open the zip and I renamed the file in IPK as I did in my first post :ph34r: That is why I got an error

Hehe, we have it at the end ! A search file engine for our Pandora ! Thanks Freamon :p

Here's a sceen :rolleyes: Actually, I can use my launcher at the right top of my menu =)

screen1.png

You could've just used locate or find, I have some anime library related functions in my .bashrc located here (at the bottom)

freamon: Could it also be put in a PND and uploaded to the repo? That would help its popularity around here.
Oh yeah, okay. I didn't see your post before (probably due to getting used to the boards). I'll pnd it up.

You could've just used locate or find, I have some anime library related functions in my .bashrc located here (at the bottom)
catfish is just a frontend to locate or find ... some folks like their GUIs I guess. I use the terminal loads, but considering how many files I managed to inadvertently delete today, maybe I should use it less too.

WOW same for me yesterday

I use to delete file and folder with "sudo rm -R *" on my computer

Well, yesterday was epic, I did "sudo rm * -R /foldertodelete/ " while I was still on my main folder

See the error and understand the consequences. When I came back to nautilus, I could have a heart attack (uh... I'm so young xD), 70 GB of files deleted

From now, I will ALWAYS use GUI when I can. I'm part of folks and I'm proud of it :p

I don't even have X session or VNC running on the servers I run.. I can launch applications remotely, I do have X installed.. I just find the command line more efficient.

Not dismissing catfish.. it looks like a solid program..

Back