Rule And Moderation Proposals For The Gp2x Forums

By enforcing grammar and spelling rules you effectively shut out plenty of the non-english-speaking community... Like the nice people in Korea. Some, most?

Wut r u guyz talkin about? Wut iz rong with postz with bad gramma or spellin. may bee they nevr studyd n skool. may bee they r 2 L337 and dont wnt to b l4m3r5. it iznt fare to deL337 their postz that iz like forum knotzee. May bee they r phorin and kant speek no g00d inglsh.

Jarska333 posted on Feb 12 2006 at 07:01 PM said:
By enforcing grammar and spelling rules you effectively shut out plenty of the non-english-speaking community... Like the nice people in Korea. Some, most?

He did mention that he was referring to only those who learned english as a first language, and I whole heartedly agree with him. I think some of his other suggestions are a bit over the top, but still. I'm not saying I expect people to start using good grammar and spelling - but it'd be nice for a change.

Allan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Muncher666 posted on Feb 12 2006 at 05:08 PM said:
Jarska333 posted on Feb 12 2006 at 07:01 PM said:

He did mention that he was referring to only those who learned english as a first language, and I whole heartedly agree with him. I think some of his other suggestions are a bit over the top, but still. I'm not saying I expect people to start using good grammar and spelling - but it'd be nice for a change.

Allan.

How exactly would you go about differentiating between those that speak English as their native tongue and those that don't? Should we place a check in a box when we sign up for an account?

This thread should be closed.

the_catt posted on Feb 12 2006 at 03:22 AM said:
this stinks of online fascism.
agreed

the_catt posted on Feb 12 2006 at 04:14 AM said:
Oh and how about actually owning a gp2x b4 getting on the forum?
then i never would have bought one...

Somewhere in the middle!

We shouldn't be banning and closing threads that irritate us, and some of us don't have english as a first language etc.

But people not looking before posting and offensive behavour is just too much. I don't want to sit here, reading the forum on my toilet of a morning having some american kid, less than half my age screeming "WTF" at me.

Language evolves, and it should do. The slang of yesteryear is no accepted. But a fine line. Kids 'bigging' themselves up by writing l33t speak is just horrible!

In short, just use commen sense. More Mods, sensible mods. And we ask posters to be polite and respectfull, while having a laugh at the same time!

the_catt posted on Feb 12 2006 at 03:22 AM said:
this stinks of online fascism.
^^^^^
This stinks of someone not knowing wtf "fascism" means.

fomit posted on Feb 11 2006 at 10:05 PM said:
How exactly would you go about differentiating between those that speak English as their native tongue and those that don't? Should we place a check in a box when we sign up for an account?

Actually pretty easily, most of the non native speakers actually spell words a lot better then native speakers that like to speak "l337".

Most of use are refering to something like DaveC's example. I doubt that even you would want to read that day after day.

yaustar posted on Feb 12 2006 at 07:49 PM said:
fomit posted on Feb 11 2006 at 10:05 PM said:

Actually pretty easily, most of the non native speakers actually spell words a lot better then native speakers that like to speak "l337".

Most of use are refering to something like DaveC's example. I doubt that even you would want to read that day after day.

No, but it would be pretty easy to ignore. If the post is filled with 1337 5p34k chances are the title will be as well.

It takes me up to 200% longer to read a post made up entirely of 1337 and/or textspeak, and then I find out I actually shouldn't have bothered.

Being a Grammar Nazi, I'm agreeing with you on this, though the best idea would be, if you're not a native English speaker, put your location in so we know you're not a native speaker and don't get annoyed.

The FAQ forum should be expanded, its use is seriously lacking. Plus, the amount of gravedigging suddenly appearing is annoying me.

Not answering repeated theads or answering them by linking to the previous threads should be a decent compromise.

Not reading badly written posts or replying to them at all should lower the annoyance a bit, there probably is nothing worth reading anyway (Gross generalisation).

Maybe italicising sarcasm would help to stop the flame wars, some people take it all a little too literaly.

An article in todays paper was banging on about how tech savvy 10 year olds couldn't spell as they were used to programs with spell check or predictive text or some such excuse, damn laziness if you ask me.

Anyway, same arguments as put forward by anti-censorship groups everywhere,

"If you don't like it, you don't have to watch it"

although that doesn't really work for forums,

"If you don't like it, you don't have to reply to it, it takes more effort to slag someone off than to ignore their post and get back to working on the N64 emu"

jislizard posted on Feb 12 2006 at 11:31 AM said:
"If you don't like it, you don't have to reply to it, it takes more effort to slag someone off than to ignore their post and get back to working on the N64 emu"
Is that last bit sarcasm?

And sbt, I wasn't saying they had to, but it would be for their benefit if they did. I honestly think everyone should, but if you don't want to, that's fine by me, just make sure you say you're not a native speaker if you're unsure about spelling and grammar.

And I'm not a fascist.

Good grief - what an awful idea. There are many people in computing who aren't great communicators full stop, let alone in the written language. They can be just as clever and interesting as the next person, however (especially if the next person happens to be one of many of the frequent posters on this forum who post much and say little).

If you don't like the way something's written, ignore it. It's really not difficult.

The original poster (Epicenter) made this statement: "if you are not knowledgeable about the topic, you probably shouldn't be making a thread about it." I'm not aware of the full context of the posting that was used as an example, but the content of it makes it clear that the person is asking for the opinions of others, and that it's an opportunity to educate them on the subjects that you proceed to enumerate.

nickspoon: you wrote "the best idea would be, if you're not a native English speaker, put your location in so we know you're not a native speaker and don't get annoyed."

Cool - would there be special icons for those who are dyslexic, too?

I don't think there's enough of a signal-to-noise ratio issue here to warrant concern at the moment. If the number of posters increases dramatically, then I could definitely see merit in having a slashdot-like mod points system, however. Bear in mind that it's exceedingly unlikely that anyone has time to do the work to implement things like that, though - people must already be putting in a lot of their free time to run this forum (for no charge).

Just my tuppence. Say 'no' to gp32x entrance exams :)

I have zero problems with this forum, I simply ignore the bits that bother me.......I see someones suffering from being a lazy arse......unable to ignore threads they don't like!

P.S i'm dyslexic!

critical posted on Feb 12 2006 at 11:44 AM said:
nickspoon: you wrote "the best idea would be, if you're not a native English speaker, put your location in so we know you're not a native speaker and don't get annoyed."

Cool - would there be special icons for those who are dyslexic, too?
If you like. Oh wait, are you being sarcastic in italics?

I'm just saying, it would be better for those who aren't all that good at speaking English but are trying to be differentiated from those who are but can't be bothered. I don't like the amount of flame on these boards.

Back