Rt73 Driver

c0nfuz10n

Still Fresh
I bought a belkin usb-wifi adapter thinking it would have the zd1211 chip, turns out its rt75.
Has anyone got a driver working for it? or know where I could get one? Searched everywhere... nothing. :(
Would be great if someone could post one, 'cause otherwise i just wasted £20 :angry:

If it's the rt73 then the driver code is available on the site Dimacus pointed you at. The source code has a few errors in it that cause compile errors for any other platform other than x86 but the solution is a simple edit of a header file and fix the include path. I have it compiled but because of other commitments I have been unable to do much testing with the code. If you want the files to build it already modified and the wireless utilities:

http:://www.ivrtech.net/files/RT73_Linux_STA_Drv1.0.3.6.zip (source and built object UNTESTED)
http:://www.ivrtech.net/files/rt73sta.zip (SD folder contents UNTESTED)

To support some ship set you need to add items to the list of hardware (in an array of structures), and this code looks for the firmware in:

/mnt/sd/rt73sta/rt73.bin

and an optional configuration file of:

/mnt/sd/rt73sta/rt73sta.dat

Their support forum seems to be users only so good luck.

tyvm, downloading now. Can't compile anything untill I finish downloading the devkit on my 19.2k (!!!!) dialup though (15 hours and counting...).
(rt73)

::edit::
I'm not just being lazy, I saw previous post, but last time i woke up a month old thread i got flamed, and i dont know C/C++, only BASIC (wanted devkit to compile another(wrong) driver). The ralinktech driver only works with later kernels apparently.
(really wanna learn C++ though...) (agh, now i'm going off topic)
::/edit::

The smaller zip file (rt73sta.zip) has it all compiled and ready to TEST. put the files in a folder called rt73sta on your SD card. There may be reason NOT to use the rt73sta.dat file based on reading the support wed site. But as I said I have been unable to test beyond the successful load of the modules. After loading the modules you will need to configure the driver if you have not used the rt73sta.dat file (this manual method may work better than using the file). The following information was posted by user "flux" on the web site when discussing Fedora core 5 and I modified it for use on the gp2x. Of course this is UNTESTED, I tried the rt73sta.dat file and was going to do the by hand method but did not get time to do it. I am not even supposed to be sending these messages because of the work load I have.

Code:
iwconfig rausb0 mode managed
iwpriv rausb0 set NetworkType=Infra
iwpriv rausb0 set AuthMode=WPA2PSK
iwpriv rausb0 set EncrypType=AES
iwpriv rausb0 set SSID="your_essid"
iwpriv rausb0 set WPAPSK="your_secret_key"
iwpriv rausb0 set SSID="your_essid"

This is a configuration for WPA2. More details you will find in the source package in /Module/iwpriv_usage.txt.

So... did those work?
I also have an rt73 card and would love to try them out, but the link is gone.

I know, that what i am doing right now is the ABSOLUTE definition of necroposting, but i'll go on and do it, just in case someone can help me, since i gave up all hope. I too bought a D-link DWL-G122, but being the unlucky person i am, it turned to be a C1 model. There is currently no driver for it on the GP2X. After a one day scourging of every possible forum(even Chinese/Korean) ones, i gave up hope of finding a precompiled rt73 driver for the GP2X. I am a programmer myself, but i have no experience at all on crosscompiling, which from what i understand, is the only way to go if we want a rt73 driver for our GP2Xs. If anyone can make a tutorial on how to compile the rt73 driver for a GP2X, this would be sweet! I am using Ubuntu v7.10. Please if anyone decides to make a tutorial, make it thorough, from the begging to the end! Another option would be for someone to compile the needed driver and post a *working* link. Unfortunately Gary Miller's links aren't working anymore.

Thanks for any possible answers and sorry for the long post.

I have the following drivers available in case these are any help.

http://kaizo.org/misc/gp2x/rt61.o
http://kaizo.org/misc/gp2x/rt2570.o

I never managed to get the rt73 modules to compile :-(

Just googled and found this... (http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Peripherals/WirelessNetworkAdapter)

Don't bother trying! The only RT73 driver that supports 2.4 kernels is the one that Ralink themselves released. Despite various bits of code saying #ifdef BIG_ENDIAN the driver contains lots of code that assumes a little endian machine and it would be a mammoth task to try to fix it.

Thanks for the quick answer m8! I've also seen this page you said, but i thought someone might have made some progress. Ralink has developed many drivers, and they are actively releasing more drivers till this month for rt73 chip sets. Thanks for the drivers, but they are a no go. At least for me. Here's hoping to something done for rt73 chip set based usb wifi dongles and GP2X...

Back