Rpm Dependency Problem

5465756e

I cannot find a solution for the following problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Canon (unofficially) provides a printer driver for my printer for Linux. Unfortunately the RPM provided by Canon depends on libpng.so.2 . This lib is not available for Suse 10.1 as it has been replaced by libpng.so.3 . I made a symlink from libpng.so.2 to libpng.so.3 and installed the rpm with rpm --nodeps. The printer driver now works like a charm but apt always reports the broken package and refuses to install anything before I resolve the problem.

So my question is: How can I remove this dependency for either my RPM database or from the original RPM?

Thanks a lot!

I know in .deb there is a tool that unpacks deb's and you can edit the file to remove the dependency using a text editor, then repackage, im not too familiar with rpm's though, as I usually used debian based distros.

I know in .deb there is a tool that unpacks deb's and you can edit the file to remove the dependency using a text editor, then repackage, im not too familiar with rpm's though, as I usually used debian based distros.

Cool. Can you give me the name of that tool. (It won't help me now, but it might come in handy someday.) I was thinking of creating a stub RPM for the missing dependency. I haven't really done an extensive search on howto create an RPM yet (I've seen krpmbuider and and http://www.gurulabs.com/GURULABS-RPM-LAB/G...GUIDE-v1.0.PDF) but is there a quick and easy way to do this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back