Rotating In Fba And / Or Mame4All

A more technical explanation is that MAME pre-rotates the graphics during the conversion phase. This is one of the nice features of MAME.
FBA on the other hand does not specifically allow for rotation - games are either one way or the other. As a result they are already optimized for their current rotation.

colt chillin said:
cool, so ,in mame, what would be the difference between rotating normal, fast and best ?

You're talking about scaling, which is quite different than rotating. Scaling means sizing a game up or down to fit your screen. That definitely requires some processor power and can affect performance.

Slaanesh - I just wanted to say that I'm eagerly looking forward to your next MAME and FBA updates. I hope you're not taking the lack of posts on those topics - as lack of interest, because for my part - I'm just trying to be polite and not bug you too much. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks, i'm aware of the difference. <_<
mame has options for rotating normal, fast and best as well... that's what my question was about.

As soon as you have some scaling, then yes there is a performance hit.

"Fast" is faster than "Best" and "Half" is faster again - but only useful for a smaller sub-set of games.

"Normal" does no scaling and is the fastest of the lot.

You can also try experimenting with 8-bit/16-bit video modes as that also has some effect. 16-bit will usually be slower, but may be faster for some games - it depends on how the original game's palette hardware functioned.

I'm currently working on the next release of MAME4ALL for Dingoo :)

It will be faster. :)

colt chillin said:
thanks, i'm aware of the difference. <_<
mame has options for rotating normal, fast and best as well... that's what my question was about.

I'm guessing you already figured out your mistake - but those options are to rotate AND scale at the same time. There's only one selection for both options. So again, rotating is not the issue - it's scaling.

Awesome Slaanesh! I can't wait. I've been checking this forum more than twice a day to see if you have any updates.

PolloLoco said:
I'm guessing you already figured out your mistake - but those options are to rotate AND scale at the same time. There's only one selection for both options. So again, rotating is not the issue - it's scaling.

my menu does have options for solely rotating normal fast and best(so without scaling at least it says so) AND options for rotating and scaling at the same time.
so either the menu is confusing me or you, or both or.... heck, doesn't even matter... my initial question already got answered.
:)
next time chill with the assumptions though cause i WASN'T talking about scaling either way.

colt chillin said:
PolloLoco said:

my menu does have options for solely rotating normal fast and best(so without scaling at least it says so) AND options for rotating and scaling at the same time.
so either the menu is confusing me or you, or both or.... heck, doesn't even matter... my initial question already got answered.
next time chill with the assumptions though cause i WASN'T talking about scaling either way.

I'm 100% assuming nothing. I'm absolutely sure based on your own words, that you're confusing the scaling options in the "video aspect" menu for rotation options.

The video aspect menu gives you the following options: Normal (no rotate, no scale), 3 options of scaling (no rotate), then Rotate Normal (no scale), and 3 options of scaling (rotated).

The one menu handles both rotate and scale. Get it? You thought the scaling options applied to rotation, which is why you started this thread.

PolloLoco said:
colt chillin said:
PolloLoco said:

I'm 100% assuming nothing. I'm absolutely sure based on your own words, that you're confusing the scaling options in the "video aspect" menu for rotation options.

The video aspect menu gives you the following options: Normal (no rotate, no scale), 3 options of scaling (no rotate), then Rotate Normal (no scale), and 3 options of scaling (rotated).

The one menu handles both rotate and scale. Get it? You thought the scaling options applied to rotation, which is why you started this thread.

my menu gives me the following options:

normal
scale horizontal
scale best
scale fast
scale halfsize
rotate normal
rotate scale horiz
rotate best
rotate fast
rotate halfsize

am i missing something or do the bold options don't say anything about scaling?
:huh:

colt chillin said:
PolloLoco said:
colt chillin said:
PolloLoco said:

normal
scale horizontal
scale best
scale fast
scale halfsize
rotate normal
rotate scale horiz
rotate best
rotate fast
rotate halfsize

It shouldn't be this confusing. Hundreds if not thousands of people have used this program across this and other devices and this is the first time I've seen any confusion about the setting. The easiest way for you to understand what each of those does is play a game using rotate best, then play the game using rotate normal. What you'll see is that the only difference is in the SCALING. Try it, see for yourself - pay attention to the size of the screen.

Where it says "Rotate Best" for example: When it says "rotate", that's what it does - there's no options to it. When it says "best" - that ONLY refers to the scaling that's done at the same time. It'll give you the best possible scaling.

Where it says "Rotate Normal", it'll rotate without scaling at all.

That's as clear as I can possibly put it.

PolloLoco said:
colt chillin said:
PolloLoco said:
colt chillin said:
PolloLoco said:

normal
scale horizontal
scale best
scale fast
scale halfsize
rotate normal
rotate scale horiz
rotate best
rotate fast
rotate halfsize

It shouldn't be this confusing. Hundreds if not thousands of people have used this program across this and other devices and this is the first time I've seen any confusion about the setting. The easiest way for you to understand what each of those does is play a game using rotate best, then play the game using rotate normal. What you'll see is that the only difference is in the SCALING. Try it, see for yourself - pay attention to the size of the screen.

Where it says "Rotate Best" for example: When it says "rotate", that's what it does - there's no options to it. When it says "best" - that ONLY refers to the scaling that's done at the same time. It'll give you the best possible scaling.

Where it says "Rotate Normal", it'll rotate without scaling at all.

That's as clear as I can possibly put it.

thanks, i figured it out 'already' B)
this never confused me on pc or gp2x before, don't know what i was thinking.

Back