Roms

3n19m4

Still Fresh
Ok, this is probably the most ridiculous question ever but...

Once an emulator has been ported to the pandora, does that mean we can run a standard rom file for games we own using said emualor on the pandora?

I know it says source code is required for ports but I don't know how this works.
I take it this is just for open source games where the code is available and can be re-written and compiled to run on the pandora?

Also, for the stuff that is ready, where will the files be stored for us to all download?

Sorry if this is a stupid question that has been covered before.

Many thanks,

3n19m4

3n19m4 said:
Ok, this is probably the most ridiculous question ever but...

Once an emulator has been ported to the pandora, does that mean we can run a standard rom file for games we own using said emualor on the pandora?

I know it says source code is required for ports but I don't know how this works.
I take it this is just for open source games where the code is available and can be re-written and compiled to run on the pandora?

Also, for the stuff that is ready, where will the files be stored for us to all download?

Sorry if this is a stupid question that has been covered before.

Many thanks,

3n19m4
1) Yes, you should be able to run standard ROMs/ISOs with the ported emulators
2) When it says source must be availalbe it is talking about what you stated in the second portion of that question - it means that the game must be open source and the code must be adjusted/rewritten for use on the Pandora
3) The files would most likely be stored on the forums or on various websites created by the author (or file upload sites)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for clearing that up for me Frozen and quickly too, much appreciated! :)

Yeah, what's up with the archive? Did it go down during the preorder frenzy? Has there been any word from... whoever maintains it as to when it will be back up?

I really want to take a look around there and see what kind of work is being done already...

seems like the database has crashed and the server needs that service restarted, weird username for the database though

Naaa, it hasn't crashed. I just haven't had the time to move it yet.
Remember openpandora.org moved to a completely new server? :)

Will probably move it tomorrow.

it did? wow, that might be the reason. The user doesn't exist in the database meaning the other info isn't in the database either :p

makes sense now. thanks for clearing that up Mr. "crazy" Pandora maker :)

Let's hope that the file archive is hosted on a fast enough server when the Pandora is launched. It would be too bad if all the estimated 4000 Pandora owners would enter the file archive at once, resulting in a server crash.

gagster said:
Let's hope that the file archive is hosted on a fast enough server when the Pandora is launched. It would be too bad if all the estimated 4000 Pandora owners would enter the file archive at once, resulting in a server crash.
Crash a server?! Pandora users would never do such a terrible thing!

:unsure:

Then again...

gagster said:
Well, pandora owner wont have same effect as the /. crowd coming like one men on the same server. You need some large infrastructure to support /. effect.

The new server will handle load on pandora file archive with ease. Even if we hammer it.

gagster said:
Well there's no way that all 4000 are going to be shipped on the same day. And they're all going to have different distances to travel, so I guess they'll all be arriving at different times of the week. This should hopefully mean visits to the archive are staggered.

gagster said:
We're not getting our pandoras all simultaneously at the precise same moment.

Besides, the software will probably be available before/as soon as they start shipping, so you can prepare yourself

Kyosys said:
gagster said:

We're not getting our pandoras all simultaneously at the precise same moment.

Besides, the software will probably be available before/as soon as they start shipping, so you can prepare yourself

Sorry, I just had this vision of UPS/Post Officce etc delivery people the world over syncronising delivery of the Pandoras.

Craigix said they were sending them out in the order of the, er, orders, so I expect they will be staggered across a couple/few days.

TaG said:
Craigix said they were sending them out in the order of the, er, orders, so I expect they will be staggered across a couple/few days.
More like a couple weeks, but yeah. Once they start rolling off the assembly line, it shouldn't take too long to get them all out the door.

Back