is this a decent idea?

• Yes

Votes: 20 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 30 60.0%

• Total voters

levi1123

source www.rockbox.org

I used it on my Sansa c200 player back a few years ago, it was stable, and allowed my player to watch movies etc of many formats. I thought it would be a decent thing to mention to those of you that can/could port it if at all theseable/possible, not as a firmware replacement but just a multiple function player.

Any thoughts comments concerns? Toss em here

( I have no clue how to port/code a thing.. just letting y'all know before i get a 'Do it yourself' comment :p )

Far as i remember all the player uses is some sort of C coding ( whether C++ or # I'm not aware ) But it should at least be possible to work on the pandora, if it isnt practical =P

~Levi~ said:
source www.rockbox.org

I used it on my Sansa c200 player back a few years ago, it was stable, and allowed my player to watch movies etc of many formats. I thought it would be a decent thing to mention to those of you that can/could port it if at all theseable/possible, not as a firmware replacement but just a multiple function player.

( I have no clue how to port/code a thing.. just letting y'all know before i get a 'Do it yourself' comment :p )

Far as i remember all the player uses is some sort of C coding ( whether C++ or # I'm not aware ) But it should at least be possible to work on the pandora, if it isnt practical =P

that's an open source alternative for non-linux and proprietary firmwares in mp3 player/recorder. As an OS, it's pretty poor so there is no point for making a port to Pandora as it would never be much more capable than any linux port.

Last edited by a moderator:
hlide said:
~Levi~ said:
source www.rockbox.org

that's an open source alternative for non-linux and proprietary firmwares in mp3 player/recorder. As an OS, it's pretty poor so there is no point for making a port to Pandora as it would never be much more capable than any linux port.

*shrug* I liked it quite a bit on my mp3 player, thought someone would also enjoy it

If you're willing to do the work, I say go for it :)
It is, honestly, a pointless endeavor though. It's a lot more restrictive than a full OS, but maybe that's what you like.

I would want it just for the fact that it would be nice to slap onto one of my "music" SDs and have a nice intuitive interface (similar to what any other mp3 player provides) to play my music with...
Wish I new how to program... I would port it as a program if possible (not an os replacement)

There is some work being done on Rockbox as an application. I don't know that porting the OS would be that useful - it has some heavily optimized codecs, but they would probably have to be rewritten for the Pandora anyway.

As an OS, I think it would need too much redesign to really grant the power saving/smooth enough interface to make it worth running. So while it might be neat, it seems that just tinkering the default OS could probably net you about the same effect with less work and maintain more functionality.

I'm no programmer though, and as a program it would seem like a fine idea as another media player alternative.

I don't really see the point. You would have to boot into Rockbox as a separate OS from Angstrom, so that's a huge hassle. You'd then have to reboot to use any other functions. Considering most people will want to use their Pandora for things other than primarily music and movies, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I love Rockbox. I used to have a Gigabeat till I broke it, now using a Sansa C200 with an 8GB microSDHC card. But, Rockbox is only right in the proper devices. I don't feel like the Pandora is one of them.

Rockbox is an embedded media-playing operating system for low-powered devices. There isn't really a purpose for Rockbox on the Pandora.

If that RockBox as an App takes off, then maybe we're talking... I love RockBox but I think Exaile is pretty awesome for the Pand.
RockBox as it stands is a full OS/firmware replacement but would be too minimal as the OS for a Pandora...

The more the merrier. If it will be useful to a number of users, I say yes. I always wished I could run Rockbox on the iPod I owned, but it was sixth-generation.

Rockbox on the Pandora would be lovely. There's mention of a project idea for it to run on the Beagleboard BeaglePOD.

It would be great to dual boot into Rockbox just to get that 100hr mp3 playback from the battery! ;)

[quote name='ep0ch' date='16 May 2010 - 01:30 PM'
It would be great to dual boot into Rockbox just to get that 100hr mp3 playback from the battery! ;)
[/quote]

what makes you think Rockbox would give you 100hr battery life?

Pleng posted on 16 May 2010 - 01:30 PM said:
[/quote]

I guess he makes asumption on the 100hr anounced some years ago by craigx...
that said it's prolly easier to achieve that level of powersaving using something like rockbox rather than a full linux OS...

Pleng said:

Loose speculation, but i'd assume rockbox playing an MP3 would use less processing power than the OS itself running a media player and playing an Mp3, saving on battery. 100hrs? I think thats a bit unrealistic as well though

There was thought that if all HW will be suspended or off and only DSP and necessary audio circuits and other HW awaken only when needed (read new file from mp3), then Pandora can play MP3 about 100 hours. It is very old info and we still have no SW that can do this. But after Pandora arrive on developers' tables... :)

Elwing said:
that said it's prolly easier to achieve that level of powersaving using something like rockbox rather than a full linux OS...

Because rockbox's power management features are better than Linux's?

Pleng said:
Elwing said:

Because rockbox's power management features are better than Linux's?
And because Rockbox may already have heavily-optimized decoders written in assembler for some common formats. I don't know how portable these would be, but it makes sense that an OS designed for digital audio players would be able to maximize battery life and CPU time.

I have rockbox on my sansa e200 and clip and love it. Fantastic for listening to audiobooks and podcast.
On my clip rockbox is almost instantly booted and my e200 takes a couple of seconds to boot.
If these booting times are feasible on the Pandora as well, a dual boot option with rockbox would be very nice.

Back