Ripping Amiga Roms Off Of Orig. Amiga Disks

FlackFlashback

Still Fresh
Hi!
I just picked up my Wiz, and I'm looking to emulate as many Amiga games as possible. I collected *many* amiga original games when in high school, and never actually sold my Amigas or games. I'm wondering how I can rip the roms off of the disks as .adf to my iMac HD for transfer to an SD.

I have: 1 Amiga 500, 1 Amiga 1000, two external drives, and lots of boxes full of working games. Any ideas of where to go next?

Thanks in Advance!

FlackFlashback said:
Hi!
I just picked up my Wiz, and I'm looking to emulate as many Amiga games as possible. I collected *many* amiga original games when in high school, and never actually sold my Amigas or games. I'm wondering how I can rip the roms off of the disks as .adf to my iMac HD for transfer to an SD.

I have: 1 Amiga 500, 1 Amiga 1000, two external drives, and lots of boxes full of working games. Any ideas of where to go next?

Thanks in Advance!

This looks like it should guide you through:

http://wiki.abime.net/transfer:adf_sender

Last edited by a moderator:
Enverex said:
It's not a simple process and please for the love of god don't call them "Roms".

+1

A short lesson for the OP:

The files you refer to as "ROMs" are technically binary dumps of ROM chips. ROM stands for Read-Only-Memory. Games that came in cartridge form had ROM chips in them which contained the game logic. Many computers have some sort of bootstrap ROM, which usually needs to be dumped in order to emulate that computer.

Disks are not chips. Therefore they cannot be called "ROMs". They are binary dumps of a disk's contents, or Images. Hence, you need Amiga Disk Images - the ROMs you refer to are the system chips, or as they are commonly known, Kickstart ROM images. If you go around asking for Amiga ROMs and info on how to dump them, you'll get quite different instructions than you would asking for ADF images.

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't have a null modem cable there is another way but I did this using a PC with a floppy drive but as long as your Mac can read PC DOS disks then it should be ok.

You will also need to have CrossDOS and Disk Masher Service (DMS) for your Miggy.

Basically, use DMS on the Amiga to create a DMS file (a compressed disk image), this will hopefully be less than 720kb so it will fit on a standard density PC floppy. Using the Amiga and CrossDOS, copy the DMS file to a PC floppy.

On the MAC create a UAE profile with a harddrive and download the DMS software from AMINET. It will probably be in an lha archive so you may need to download larc first. You should be able to copy the downloaded files, plus the DMS files from the floppy to your UAE harddrive using your normal MAC file manager and then they will be visible to UAE (it works on a Windows PC).

In UAE, create a blank ADF disk and then use the DMS software to extract the DMS image to the blank ADF disk and Voila!

Problem is, I don't think either method will solve the problem of copy protection if you are using original disks, so your best bet for pretty much all Amiga software is to head on over to Back2Roots and download the disks from there (I believe they have permission from the copyright owners to host the ADF images).

Good Luck

Dave

Original games usually have copy protection so you usually cant image an original game into DMS or ADF and expect it to work in an emulator. There is a whole planet of emu files including .adf files on the internet.

Well, thanks for the info and the lessons! I have to laugh, I was referring to the disk images as roms simply because I have primarily dealt with mame in terms of emulation up to this point. Yes, I know what rom and ram stand for- I've programmed fox kits in hexadecimal- and I've also seen Tron. (Problem is, its been too long since I've done either, you see.)

All kidding aside, thanks for the posts, you put a smile on my face, and a big thank you to benj, that was a pretty interesting walkthrough. I spent the day thinking about how I could determine the number of tracks on each Amiga disk I have, and where to track down the right cables. I knew that the copy protection would likely be an issue for some, but hopefully not all.

At the same time, I shall continue looking for the planets of pre-sorted .adf files. I will try looking at Back2Roots but it looks like it is down right now. Thanks to Dave and lorgy for the suggestions.

BTW, "Disks are not chips." <--- priceless. I know I'm a new guy but wow. I certainly appreciate your willingness to try to help someone you feel you have to dial it back that far for... and I empathize because sometimes... you probably are going to have to dial it back that far for me! *exits stage left whistling innocently*

Onward and upward...

Back