Right nub not acting right on new 1ghz pandora

samgrund

Still Fresh
Well I got my Pandora on Saturday and right out of the box the right nub isn't registering left fully. I've played with it a bit and it doesn't seem to be getting better, I've read they may take time to wear in so i'm hoping that's the situation here? I've posted a video of what it looks like in the input program.

Thanks for any solutions, I really love it apart from this :) didn't get too scratched up in the post either. If it isn't something that needs to be broken in is it something I could hopefully solder?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/LlITLwNM-mk?feature=oembed

Tried to reboot or reflash? Had some inputbugs with nubs 1 or 2 times so far and they went away after rebooting.

Mine is acting exactly the same. I have had mine for about 2 weeks now and it has gotten slightly better but it is still not usable. I've tried everything I could find. I flashed SuperZaxxon 1.51, I used compressed air to blow into the gap between the nub and case. I reboot all the time because I don't leave it running. I have been sitting there just moving both nubs constantly while watching TV for at least 30 minutes each day. I have actually found that mine doesn't center itself properly. I can move it to one direction and it will stay pretty close to where I moved it. Here is what mine looks like.

right_nub.png

The above picture doesn't prove it's not centering properly.. Mine will rest what looks like not center but actually works fine..

I have two Pandora's and sometimes mine get into a state where I can't move in a specific direction etc.. What seems like an odd fix for me is to take out the battery for several minutes and power back on..

Pulling the battery for 10 minutes worked for me :) annoying but hopefully it's something that can be patched in a future!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Unfortunately for me, leaving the battery out had no positive effect at all. In fact now it is acting exactly like it did when I first received it so it got worse after leaving the battery out for a while.

ok so it's happening again :/ I did a little more monkeying with it and in the input tester, if i push the right nub directly left and hold it it quickly registers -32 for a blip then goes to -14 and blips again to hold at -10, if i rock it i can sometimes get it to go to -32 but it doesn't hold there. Another interesting thing, if i flip the power switch and then bring it back on it'll register 32 (not -32) if i pull it to the left and you cannot get any negative values no matter the position, the left nub works perfectly.

When all else fails, try the "magic nub dance". Rotate the nub to all extents continuously for about 10 seconds. The nubs have a built in autocalibration (which behaves as designed but not always as intended) and sometimes needs a push to get it working again. May not help in this case, but certainly shouldn't hurt.

so I did a reflash of 1.51 and it didn't seem any different. After rotating for a good half minute like stan suggested it seems to be a little better. it now registers around -24 for a blip then goes to the full -32 and now it's not registering going up all the way on the same nub! I'll keep this up and see what's going on; really looking like a software issue instead of a bad nub thankfully :)

or maybe i spoke too soon, it now registers ANY left movement on the right nub as -32 and any left movement as 30 to 32. Reseting nubs in the nub configuration utility also brings up the problem where the right nub will report any negative horizontal movement as positive :/

My unit had the same issues in the beginning, but the nubs started to work properly after a usage of about 2 weeks.

Wait until then - and if it doesn't improve, we can always replace them.

It has still been acting up with me until today. I was pushing harder, feeling resistance around the left side of the nub and working that out over the past few days when today the nub wouldn't return back to its regular place. I took a closer look at it from the side and saw a little band of plastic wrapped around the nub. I pulled it out (broke in two pieces) with a pair of thin tweezers and now the nub is working MUCH better! Maybe frefol should have a look at his nubs as well? It does feel a little loose now but at least the nub is use-able :)

I already sent mine in to get fixed because my LCD cable also failed. It works much better now.

I am also having this exact issue, I was just about to email dragon box for advise when I saw this post, I will leave it for two weeks, but if its no better can I send it back for repair?

It has still been acting up with me until today. I was pushing harder, feeling resistance around the left side of the nub and working that out over the past few days when today the nub wouldn't return back to its regular place. I took a closer look at it from the side and saw a little band of plastic wrapped around the nub. I pulled it out (broke in two pieces) with a pair of thin tweezers and now the nub is working MUCH better! Maybe frefol should have a look at his nubs as well? It does feel a little loose now but at least the nub is use-able :)

Would you mind doing a quick video on how you fixed your issue? I would really appreciate it, many thanks in advance, I am also having this issue with my new unit

Another thing that could be the case:

Try pushing the case around the nub down a bit.

It could be the resistance you feel is actually part of the case.

I don't actually feel any resistance, i just experience erratic behaviour with the right nub

Confirm erratic behaviour with the right nub on my Pandora(1ghz). Nub feels loose (compared to left nub) and doesn't allways return to center (see photo post #4). When Pandora has booted to GUI calibration seems to start and within one minute both nubs act normal (ie. trigger contextmenu <on> with RMB and <off> with LMB). Several minutes later however it feels like all functions shift to another position within the right nub and suddenly they are difficult to trigger (ie. contextmenu flashes on and off screen). Probable causse discussed in thread, maybe fixed in next firmware?

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, then this most probably is not a hardware issue but still some bug...

I'm having similar issues (right nub often double clicks instead of left click), and hardwarewise there's no left or right nub, they are the same ones.

We need to investigate that...

Back