Right Speaker has gone out...

So it's not the connector to the board. The cable was snug in the ZIF. I also checked the black cable under the miniUSB, but I'm assuming that that's the antenna.

I tried to open the top, but it was near impossible. It looks really difficult to get the inner side to pop out. I didn't want to force it.

Alright, it works now. Don't know how/when/why it started working again, but it does. I did a reflash a few days ago I wonder if that fixed it?

ChaosWarmech:

What did you do when you opened up your pandora exact? I ask because I just received my pandora, and the sound will work fine 90% of the time, but then will get very soft (or one of the speakers will completely cut out). and if I put the case a bit between the blank spot between the number keys and the right nub, I hear there the plastic flex a little and the sound works normally again.

Originally I thought it was an EMU problem, until I noticed the sound was really soft watching a video as well. I mean it certainly sounds like a loose cable or not fully inserted but I'm just a little scared about opening the bottom up, knowing how tightly compact things are in there unless someone tells me exactly what I should do.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Installed the community codec pack though a pnd file. I'm guessing this is the same thing.

But again, I don't think it's a software issue since squeezing the pandora a bit together around the right nub seems to fix it temporarily (until whatever conjigger gets loose again?). And just before or while it cuts out, the sound fades almost completely away, and I can hear a high pitch sound with some trickling static and almost a pop sound when the music fades, and the pop again when the sound kicks back in after a hug.

Oh, and the squeaking of the plastic flexing that I mentioned in my last post was actually the battery cover, so it isn't like I'm applying a lot of strength on the little pandora.

That's odd... I just checked in the Hardware Hacking Manual(the fact that we have this is awesome) and the speaker connection definitely is in the LCD ribbon. I guess try opening it up and looking, but I find it hard to believe it could be the connection to the board, and yet only effecting the speakers.

Opening the bottom half is extremely easy. Just take out the battery, take out the five screws and gently pull the two pieces of plastic apart. You should see the LCD ribbon at the top right. It connects to the board with a ZIF which needs to be pulled UP, not out. Pull it away from the board and it will flip up 90degrees. My cable was so tight in the slot I couldn't even pull it out to reconnect it. It required more force than I was willing to exert, and there's very little room to work with, without opening the top half.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Well, if anything, now I know there's a Hardware Hacking Manual. Now that I see a picture of what it looks like, I may try opening the thing up and see what's up. Though, now that I look at your posts again, you said you also reflashed it so maybe that's something I should try as well, but I really don't think it's software related

I'll keep my fingers crossed

Well, it's still happening, and it isn't the VGA cable since this sound thing for me also happens over the headphones (and it sounds like a whole lot of static or a garbled signal) and pushing firmly on the Pandora on the analog nubs temporarily fixes the problem.

Any ideas on what could be going on? Anyone? Should I make this a new topic instead of using this existing one (since this appears to be a completely different issue now.) Would a video of this error in action help in any way?

Yea,make a new thread and see if anyone has any ideas. Sounds to me like it just needs an RMA though. =/

Last edited by a moderator:
My left speaker is failing... I mean, it works but suddenly the sounds stops. I need to shake the Pandora a little bit to make it work again.

I[m pretty sure it is intermittent contact too. But I'm definitely not open to see it (at least not right now sincer it fails only once a day).

Back