Right Now, My Gp2x Stick Is Breaking, I Can Hardly Use It...

ste_167

Website
Visit site
right now, my gp2x stick is breaking, i can hardly use it...

Can I have some feedback from some owners of older GP2x's regarding the wear and tear of their thumbsticks? I've heard the 100,000 thumbstick click mileage story. Is this true? Is it likely that by the end of the year, I'll be having to mod or replace my GP2x?

Last edited by a moderator:
My stick broke, somehow, i didnt use it that much at all, mostly for testing things, and one day when i pull a hard turn in some shooter, stick press+pressed to the right and down a bit = stick got stuck somehow...after managing to get it free, it was really loose and flopped around easily, and also spun around a bit.

sent it to GBAX for a fix and they just sent me a MK2.

right now, my gp2x stick is breaking, i can hardly use it...

Can I have some feedback from some owners of older GP2x's regarding the wear and tear of their thumbsticks? I've heard the 100,000 thumbstick click mileage story. Is this true? Is it likely that by the end of the year, I'll be having to mod or replace my GP2x?

It's ALPS RKJXL and yes - a PDF clearly states its operating life is 100,000 cycles.
It should work longer thought. Manufacturers typically are giving the worst case scenarios to reduce warrants.

So assuming average one cycle per 2 seconds and one hour use per day it'd have guaranteed life time of only 2 months.

We would have a total GP2x recall then but it didn't happen.

It's ALPS RKJXL and yes - a PDF clearly states its operating life is 100,000 cycles.
It should work longer thought. Manufacturers typically are giving the worst case scenarios to reduce warrants.

So assuming average one cycle per 2 seconds and one hour use per day it'd have guaranteed life time of only 2 months.

We would have a total GP2x recall then but it didn't happen.
Thanks for providing a link :).

I think it is all dependant on the force applied, I am sure it was not designed for this use, the taller caps and the stock caps are all putting a lot of stress on the stick assembly.

Add to the abuse a handheld is required to endure and you just have to pull it out of a pocket a couple times to catch the stick on your pocket hem and break the stick.

Maybe if the caps could fit much lower, but as it is they multiply the force on the stick.

I think that also if you are getting excited while playing a game you could accidently press it really hard and that would break it.

Back