Can I Use Dc 6.3v On Gp2x?

ejoy

Still Fresh
Hi,
I have a cheap unregulated 3-12V DC adaptor. When set to 3V, the output actually reads like 6.3V using a multimeter, unloaded. As it's unregulated, when a load is attached, it should be something between 3-5V, but I'm not sure. Since the gp2x should have some soft of DC regulator built in, is it safe to plug this into my gp2x?

If you have a DC adaptor from gp2x.co.uk (out of stock now) and a multimeter, can you check the voltage of that one?

Cheers,
ejoy

Hi,
I have a cheap unregulated 3-12V DC adaptor. When set to 3V, the output actually reads like 6.3V using a multimeter, unloaded. As it's unregulated, when a load is attached, it should be something between 3-5V, but I'm not sure. Since the gp2x should have some soft of DC regulator built in, is it safe to plug this into my gp2x?

If you have a DC adaptor from gp2x.co.uk (out of stock now) and a multimeter, can you check the voltage of that one?

Cheers,
ejoy

uregulated are dangerous for your gp2x because of these power spikes and the gp2x really doesnt like weird vlatges through the DC in

you could fubar your gp2x if yourlucky itll still work but the power circuits will be messed up making it suck batteries dry like a Nimh suckin vampire

Last edited by a moderator:
Unregulated have been said to work on the gp2x, but make the LCD strange: eg. flickering & flashing.

So in general it's not recommended to use an unregulated supply.

I tried a 6.4v battery plugged into the dc input. The screen flickered, but hey it worked. Btw ITS DANGEROUS!
Everything between 3v and 3.6v is perfect.

A customer of mine used non-regulated AC adaptors on four gp2x... all four work fine with the adaptor but now have drastically reduced battery life (about 20 minutes with good rechargeables!)

So... be careful!

A customer of mine used non-regulated AC adaptors on four gp2x... all four work fine with the adaptor but now have drastically reduced battery life (about 20 minutes with good rechargeables!)

So... be careful!
OMG, that may be the same problem im having!
When I got it I used a multivoltage psu to flash my firmware, could it be that that one is kinda unregulated (eventhough it says regulated)?
after that I used rechargebles and they would last only for like 20mins even when I bought new annsmann rechargables :blink: (I made a topic about this some time ago, and now Im about to send it back to lik-sang)
How is this possible, can I fix it?

Well, my gp2x has drained all the rechargables I have in just two days. Now I want to risk something:

I plugged the 6V adaptor into my gp2x and turn on the button-> black screen, nothing happens, Nooooo! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Then I check the forum...Damn the gp2x use inverted polarity!!!

I then change to the correct polarity and give it anther try: this time the screen flashes once and fall back to black screen, :eek: :eek: :eek:

Am I destroying my gp2x?

I pop two AAs in and thanks god the gp2x works fine. However, as soon as I plug my adaptor in the gp2x goes to dead black screen :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

I check the voltage and it's 3.6V and should be fine.

Do you think I may damage some circuits in the first try? I notice my adaptor has a rated current of 300ma max, can that be a problem?

you could fubar your gp2x if yourlucky itll still work but the power circuits will be messed up making it suck batteries dry like a Nimh suckin vampire

Well, it seems I have made some damage to my gp2x's power circuits. I'm now testing if my gp2x is turned into a Nimh suckin vampire. If so, I have to send it back for repair :blink:

I'll report my finding later.

Finger crossed :(

The docs say that the 2x requires a regulated supply of 3.3v @ 1amp. If you decide to use outside this range, it's upto you, but if you damage your 2x by doing so, you really shouldn't expect a free replacement or repair as it's clearly not a manufacturing defect.

I notice my adaptor has a rated current of 300ma max, can that be a problem?

yeah thats the problem right there. You need about 3.5x the power to run the gp2x, it can't even boot with that little. You need at least 1amp (1,000ma). I personally use a 2amp adapter.

You have done no damage to your gp2x that I know of, unless someone can prove that using the wrong polarity can ruine it.

The wrong polarity blew up enough gp32s, and I think they learned from that and put in some protection in the gp2x :)

I think that you can attach a large (some are bigger than a AA battery) electrolytic capacitor, and it will surely boosts you PSU's peak output power, and possibly will dimmish some peaks on you unregulated power supply (turning out to be behave like a regulated PSU)

I'd recommend that you charge the capacitor before installing in parallel with your PSU output, so the power supply will not fry up when trying to charge the capacitor subtly (not obligatory, anyway) and never charge above the maximum voltage rating and also never install it in a reversed polarity fashion, as the capacitor will most likely explode

the capacitance rating may be anything you like, I suggest start trying aroung 1000uF / 6.3V (you can put any voltage > 3.3V, but the bigger voltage, the bigger/wider the capacitor) if size is not a problem, then you can go with 15000 or 22000uF and even install it inside your power supply!

bigger capacitor are harder to charge, and more likely to abuse your power supple while not fully charged (it takes a tenth of a second to charge) so you should start with little capacitors to avoid wasting your PSU
as you try bigger and bigger capacitors, your problems will likely go away...

The Capacitor will store some energy, yes. It cannot raise the maximum power output of the power supply to the level of 600mAh to 800+ mAh the GP2X actually draws.

Running the GP2X on 300mAh power supplies is impossible, it is 1/3 the required current. The capacitor does smooth it out, but unless your cap can store enough energy to run the GP2X it will be pointless.

ON TOPIC: Please measure your power supply under load on the GP2X, I doubt it is putting out much over one volt, if you haven't blown it out by connecting to a device with such low resistance (high current drain). Under three times its rated load your "6.3v" power supply will not put out enough voltage or current. And the fluctuation in the voltage from extremely low to extremely high is bad for the GP2X.

yeah thats the problem right there. You need about 3.5x the power to run the gp2x, it can't even boot with that little. You need at least 1amp (1,000ma). I personally use a 2amp adapter.

You have done no damage to your gp2x that I know of, unless someone can prove that using the wrong polarity can ruine it.

Yep, I tried with a pair of half-used 2000mah and can run DrMD for 50 mins which seems OK. I do find when the battery dies it becomes quite warm. This suggests there may be some step-up DC converter inside the gp2x, which will sink more current when the voltage is low, and kill the battery quicker.

I think there should be some protection circuit built in (such as a diode), but I'm not sure. I open the case and take a picture. I can not see any damage. Can someone confirm there is some diode (such as D5) to protect damage from wrong polarity.

I hope my gp2x is fine so when I got a adaptor later it will work.

As already mentioned, 300mAh isn't enough to do sh**! This probably saved your GP2X from the reverse polarity damage. I can't speak for the GP2X (haven't had it to bits yet) but most electronic devices have some form of protection - normally a diode that will expire if you connect the + / - inverted. Batteries won't normally have the constant current level available to kill a diode when they are in the wrong way around (although, some of these newer batteries may do?) but a good mAh PSU will give the diode all the juice it needs to fry. The diode is normally there to protect the rest of the circuitry.

The amount of devices I have fixed over the years from reverse polarity on multi purpose PSU's.....

EDIT: I would hazard a guess at D5 or D13 from that photo above.

2nd EDIT: Just realised have of what I have said is in that post with the photo :p You should check using a continuity meter from the battery + terminals to the side of the diode furtherst (spelling??) away from the black line on the diode can. I reckon it's actually D13, although D5 looks much nearer to the power socket.

Well, I find a secret: the joystick perform much smoother and easier to navigate after I open and close the case :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think the GPH fasten the screws too much.

If you feel bad with your stick, just open up the case and close it.

Yep, I tried with a pair of half-used 2000mah and can run DrMD for 50 mins which seems OK. I do find when the battery dies it becomes quite warm. This suggests there may be some step-up DC converter inside the gp2x, which will sink more current when the voltage is low, and kill the battery quicker.

I think there should be some protection circuit built in (such as a diode), but I'm not sure. I open the case and take a picture. I can not see any damage. Can someone confirm there is some diode (such as D5) to protect damage from wrong polarity.

I hope my gp2x is fine so when I got a adaptor later it will work.

Hey dude what MK gp2x do you have

the pcb looks diffrent and how come there are all those handy dandy contact points

Well, I find a secret: the joystick perform much smoother and easier to navigate after I open and close the case :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think the GPH fasten the screws too much.

If you feel bad with your stick, just open up the case and close it.

or just unscrew the screws acouple of turns

Fu**ing brilliant moron.

I hope you are the guy who "cures" high-amp car audio woes with a large Capacitor, dumbass.*

The Capacitor will store some energy, yes. It CANNOT raise the maximum power output of the power supply.
I see you don't understand much of electronics, and also have such a bad attitude, so I'll be short..

A capacitor can raise your PSU peak maximum power output (pmpo, but not 'music' ones) because it can hold charge faster than any other electronic device, so you won't get GP2X running out of a transistor BUT you'll surely cut off most of the short power outages which can lead the console to a freeze

it's even common to see capacitors nearby CPUs sockets, CPUs can rise its consumption on power very quickly, and motherboard manufacturers have to install such capacitor to get it going on any reasonable power supply
But hey.... why am I teaching things for people who don't want to learn?
Running the GP2X on 300mAh power supplies is impossible, it is 1/3 the required current. The capacitor does smooth it out, but unless your cap can store enough energy to run the GP2X it will be pointless.
See, I don't have a GP2X nor I ever tried to use it with an amperimeter, so if it does run in a 300mAh (supposedly) surely a capacitor would just help, I never said that a capacitor would feed the console anyway.. and I really wonder if it demands 0.9Ah how the hell can you use it for about 10 hours without having 9000mAh batteries... do you have any? I wanna a 9 ampere AA-sized battery too! :rolleyes:

somebody tell jack boy over there that having to have a 900mAh PSU is different then saying "the console itself drain 900mA all-time-long"..
ON TOPIC: Please measure your power supply under load on the GP2X, I doubt it is putting out much over one volt, if you haven't blown it out by connecting to a device with such low resistance (high current drain). Under three times its rated load your "6.3v" power supply will not put out enough voltage or current. And the fluctuation in the voltage from extremely low to extremely high is bad for the GP2X.

*(Tip for car audio, GET A HIGHER RATED ALTERNATOR, and a larger battery, and if you need to pump a lot a bass the power caps will help store some energy release it as necessary, preventing your headlights from dimming. The Caps will not magically produce energy, you will still get burnt-out alternators and dead batteries from high-amp car audio systems.)

If you think my language is too strong you can tell me(or a mod can edit it with the cute little Politically Correct, "Child Safe" stars ** :p, though I warn you I just got off a 4AM to 12:45PM shift unloading a truck that I have to wake up at 2:50AM to make on time, I am a little too tired to deal with morons without the F word. :) :)

P.S. Your Idiocy is now in my sig for all to laugh at :D :lol:
Well, right now I think you're a complete dork, you simply did not read my message but still try to say something useful about it.... see wikipedia for RMS and PMPO power ratings

oh yeah, and for cars, you can use the biggest battery in the world and a 800A alternator, the problem with the bass is the distortion caused by transient voltage drops when the resistance of something drop quickly, it's a factor of time, not just power, dumb person. so if you want to do just free noise, like the nubie's ones, get a big alternator, you want to have have a good, hi-fidelity, sound system, then you have to put a large capacitor

hey, why don't you go to school and then someday you can have a better job instead of loading trucks?

try to measure diode forward voltage drop, if > 1V probably it's a zener diode, so it's not the one you're looking for

what about the othe side of the pcb? can it be removed?

Back