Returning A Defective Gp2x

jeffward24

Still Fresh
Hello All !

I received my order recently from the U.K. to the U.S., but it is clearly defective.
While either being plugged in with an approved Radio Shack Multi-volt power supply
( http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...oductId=2049693 ) set at 3 volts with the tip set to negative, or with 2500mA rechargeable batteries, the screen flashes thin vertical lines across the screen during boot up, hiccups on the first select screen, doesn't access certain screens (USB as an example), the joystick is unresponsive or erratic, is not recognized by any computer, even with all of the settings set properly, and has to be shut off and on for almost all games as it locks up.

Anyone who may be able to instruct me as to what the return process is, for either receiving a refund or another unit, would be most appreciated. Does anyone have a phone number to be used in the U.S. as well? ... I purchased it from GP2X.co.uk Sales. http://gp2x.co.uk/gp2xlinks.html
Do they send a return label so that I won't incur a shipping charge back to the UK? Perhaps I should try to return it for a refund, and then order from a U.S. vendor? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated !
Jeff

Drop them an email detailing the problem with your older number. They should sort something out for you.

jeffward24 posted on Aug 21 2006 at 09:55 PM said:
the screen flashes thin vertical lines across the screen during boot up,
Normal.

hiccups on the first select screen,
Normal.

doesn't access certain screens (USB as an example),
Odd.

the joystick is unresponsive or erratic,
Usually a matter of preference.

is not recognized by any computer, even with all of the settings set properly,
Fairly normal.

and has to be shut off and on for almost all games as it locks up.
Not the fault of the system, and usually not the fault of the game. Most probably either you haven't read the readme, or there's a problem with the SD.

Last edited by a moderator:
nickspoon posted on Aug 21 2006 at 07:47 PM said:
jeffward24 posted on Aug 21 2006 at 09:55 PM said:
the screen flashes thin vertical lines across the screen during boot up,
Normal.

hiccups on the first select screen,
Normal.

doesn't access certain screens (USB as an example),
Odd.

the joystick is unresponsive or erratic,

is not recognized by any computer, even with all of the settings set properly,
Fairly normal.

and has to be shut off and on for almost all games as it locks up.
Not the fault of the system, and usually not the fault of the game. Most probably either you haven't read the readme, or there's a problem with the SD.

I have a 256 MB and a 4 GB card which are both formatted as FAT 32 - all of these issues happen with both cards.. The lines were not there as prominent when first booting, but in the last 2 days, they are very strong colors, and happening more often. It has nothing to do with any Read Me files, as it is happening with the pre-installed game, as well as the games given on the included CD-ROM. I've only had this since Friday, so I'm just trying to get a feel of what it may do, should do, not do, and if there is an issue...how easy, or difficult it will be to swap it for another. From the feedback stating that I better make sure 100% that it's faulty...I'm guessing that it will not be covered if it's simply normal "glitchy" things that maybe I'm not used to with other systems. Thank you very much for the previous feedback...and any other feedback that will follow.

Hmm.. its a bit hard to judge from text alone, maybe a small video of the vertical lines and other glitches will help us?

Don't be put off by the problems in entering menu items mine used to do that the whole screen would just go blank and I would have to turn it off and then turn it back on. It eventually just stopped doing that after I applied a custom theme to it.

nickspoon posted on Aug 22 2006 at 01:47 AM said:
Normal.

Normal.

Odd.

Fairly normal.

Seems like a great handheld, eh. ;)

Draken posted on Aug 22 2006 at 11:28 AM said:
Normal.

Normal.

Odd.

Fairly normal.

It's why we love it :)

nickspoon posted on Aug 22 2006 at 06:51 AM said:
Draken posted on Aug 22 2006 at 11:28 AM said:
Normal.

Normal.

Odd.

Fairly normal.

It's why we love it :)

Thanks for the input.
Why is it that turning "on" the USB function would cause it to "not" work?
I understand that this well rounded machine is so good at so many things, that it almost gets a free pass at some "glitches", but when you see people being told to solder back on their headphone jack, or dremel it, and other issues that normally wouldn't be accepted in other systems ( Do you think anyone would let Sony, Nintendo, or Xbox to get away with various issues in either handheld or console), it really makes you wonder. Each system ever released by any system has had glitches, getting too hot, fans failing, not enough venting, bad network cards, graphic issues, and each one was either recalled, or re-vamped to accommodate the growing concerns of the masses...hence why Gamepro magazine has a Watchdog section that alerts you of these errors, and reolutions. Sony would never get away with a bad jack, or glitches that I've seen here, that "may" or "may not" go away over time, nor will Dell get away with bad power suppiles, or batteries, and neither should the otherwise well rounded GP2X. If your parts are falling off, or not working up to "normal" expectations, I have to question quality control and why it hasn't been demanded by their internal control to build it so their user community isn't breaking out toolsets and soldering guns to fix it. It is not our job. Once it is, by default, lowers their standards, for they'll just say"Don't worry, the users will take care of that". Also, the term "auto bricks" didn't happen out of nowhere.

I'll reformat it today and turn off the USB (not sure why), and apply all suggestions, as well as check my email to see what their feedback is from the message I sent about my issues. Thank you all again.

jeffward24 posted on Aug 22 2006 at 12:34 PM said:
Thanks for the input.
The USB "networking", and "storage device" modes are different, you have to turn off one to use the other, as you only have one port.

Aninhumer posted on Aug 22 2006 at 07:56 AM said:
jeffward24 posted on Aug 22 2006 at 12:34 PM said:
Thanks for the input.
The USB "networking", and "storage device" modes are different, you have to turn off one to use the other, as you only have one port.

Thank you for the help on the USB...I can access the menu now, but can't get any computer to see it. Does someone have a USB driver for XP?

I received an email from GP2X Sales that said...

Hi Jeff,

Sorry you are having problems with the PSU. I have forwarded your email to tech, who will get back to you later today.

Kind regards
Jacquelyn

That driver is for USB Network, not USB Mass Storage which is the one that starts in the menu under 'USB'. The GP2X not being recognised under XP is a known problem. Solution: card reader.

nickspoon posted on Aug 22 2006 at 10:45 AM said:
That driver is for USB Network, not USB Mass Storage which is the one that starts in the menu under 'USB'. The GP2X not being recognised under XP is a known problem. Solution: card reader.

Ok, thank you.

My unit now will not even turn on unless I switch it off and on multiple times, with battery, or plugged in, or unless I let it sit for awhile after it fails to respond.

Sales responded back to me and said...

Please return to the address below, including your Protx order number and a brief note to explain the reason for the return. Your console will be fully tested upon return. When this is complete, you will receive an email from tech. If the console is faulty we will refund the return postage costs and despatch a new console to you.

So I guess if they find the glitches I've experienced to be "allowable" or "tolerable", then I'm out the $35 to ship it...each way? $70 looks like what it will cost me to send and receive back because their tech will most likely pass it. Murphy's Law will surely be the case here. Geez.

Back