Retro Gaming Event

Axeman

Axemeister
Website
Visit site
There's something interesting on the Horizon (September the 16th to be precise).

Amiga Big Bash has been an annual event in the Amiga calendar for the last few years, and is a get together of like-minded individuals for a generally good tme, with drinks and food.

How does this affect us as GP32/GP2x users you may ask??

WELL! There's talk this year of making it a joint venture and bringing Retro gaming into the fray. They (and I) have been talking to Craig at GP2X.co.uk and it looks like that if there's enough interest here, we at Gp32x and him may be able to get involved.

I had this message form my good mate Rob :-

"Would anyone be interested in Amiga Big Bash if it had a retro bend to it? Amiga Big Bash is being held on Saturday the 16th September, in Peterborough - which is a fairly central location.

The event is held every year, and is predominantly party centred, with a BBQ, music, and an Amiga fair. It was set up to bring the Amiga Community closer together. Numbers range from 50 to 250 with visitors from afar afield as Poland. The organisers are thinking about extending it to include retro gaming as well - but would like to know how many people would be interested if Retro Gaming was included? They have been in talks with Craig from gbax.com - and now wish to gauge numbers.

If numbers are good, things can proceed :)"

It depends on the level of interest from here. I dont know about you, but I'd love it to happen! The big bash happens in a set of halls in Peterborough, and is definitely going to happen on September 16th. All it'll take from this side is a little interest, and it could well turn into a heck of a lot more :) It would be great to be able to get together again with forumers from this community (especially after the success of the gp32x.de Brit meetup - can you believe that was almost three years ago???). This whole event would be bigger and better, with people from two communities coming together for a bit of a gathering. It would have a live podcast from the site for the event, and in the past has been great fun, just as an Amiga event.

This event is DEFINITLEY happening as an Amiga event. It just takes YOU LOT to make it into a joint thing.

Craig has said he has lots of the sort of kit that we'll need to make it a great retro gaming gathering. From what I know about what Craig has, he's not joking either! I'd aboslutely love for this to happen, and if the interest is there - it will! It'll be just £3.50 entrance (to cover the cost of the venue). It starts at around mid-day and will go on until about 11pm, though you of course dont have to be there for the whole time unless you want to!

Let me know here how you feel about it all. I'd love to meet you all. I'll be there, so will Craig (if the interest is there). There's even a bar for those of you who feel the need ;)

Post here and let me now if you could make it. Again - I hope to see as many of you as possible there. All we need is the interest!

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Petersborough, is that far away from Birmingham? I've only been in the UK for 2 years so a lot of places are still unknown to me.

I'd be interested already even if it was "only" an amiga event, a retro "add-in" sounds really cool too. Now all I still need is directions to said place and a day off work to be able to go there!

Cool stuff!! :)

"SunSpire"

Cellsplitter posted on Aug 5 2006 at 11:58 PM said:
Why do I live in Sweden?! RAWR!!!

My thought exactly :)

Oh well, just gotta hope those who're able to go will have a good time, if the whole thing takes place that is. :p

SunSpire posted on Aug 5 2006 at 10:57 PM said:
Petersborough at is that far away from Birmingham? I've only been in the UK for 2 years so a lot of places are still unknown to me.

I'd be interested already even if it was "only" an amiga event, a retro "add-in" sounds really cool too. Now all I still need is directions to said place and a day off work to be able to go there!

Cool stuff!! :)

"SunSpire"
hmm try maps.google.com !!

its not far:85miles
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&hl=e...e=UTF8&om=1

Me and the sone might be up for this, will have to see nearer the time..

That's not too far, thanks for the link! Hmm if I am working that day (and I most likely am cos it is a saturday and I work in retail so they don't like it if I take that day off) and if it's an early shift I could simply hop on the train afterwards and still make it ... sweet! :D

You guys in sweden and upper europe could have your very own meetup if you can't make it to the UK!
Or you could take the eurostar train to england, not sure what ticket prices are like tho.

"SunSpire"

epitaph posted on Aug 5 2006 at 10:43 PM said:
Cellsplitter posted on Aug 5 2006 at 11:58 PM said:
Why do I live in Sweden?! RAWR!!!

My thought exactly :)

Oh well, just gotta hope those who're able to go will have a good time, if the whole thing takes place that is. :p

A big hejsan to you guys! And yes, hopefully alot of ppl will come and have a good time. Ill play some amiga @home instead, maby Ill be able to beat Shadow of the Beast this time? :ph34r:

I'll probably go. Bit of an Amiga fan too...

As the next cooperation step we need to get some real Amiga scene coders interested in improving the UAE port:)

Mark

Durga posted on Aug 6 2006 at 04:10 AM said:
Is there any age restrictions?

No age restrictions what so ever. In fact our youngest ever visitor to the show was 6 months old. There is a bar, so normal UK law applies here (18 + for alcohol)

We have a few more goodies at the show on the Amiga Front - New PPC hardware, and a New port of EUAE - the best Amiga Emulator around (thats right, we've got to emulate the old chipsets on our new machines hehe)

foft posted on Aug 6 2006 at 09:34 AM said:
I'll probably go. Bit of an Amiga fan too...

As the next cooperation step we need to get some real Amiga scene coders interested in improving the UAE port:)

Mark

Richard Drummond - but he's a very very busy man. He's written EUAE, (EvilUAE) and its the best UAE variant. It's out for PPC machines iirc, and will be demoed at the show.

I'm totally going! You're holding it right next to where I live! Literally. If it has Amiga stuff, then w00t. Also, the retro gaming stuff is awesome. AND it's on a Saturday! I've never been to one of these things - what' sort of things are to be going on? =P

77 miles away, approx. 1hr 50min drive.

Sounds interesting, but it's quite a way. That and I've never actually used an Amiga before ;)

nickspoon posted on Aug 6 2006 at 01:50 PM said:
77 miles away, approx. 1hr 50min drive.

Sounds interesting, but it's quite a way. That and I've never actually used an Amiga before ;)

There may be car sharing oppertunities... Come have a play. - but be warned, from the moment you see the kickstart screen you'll be addicted.

hell yeah sounds like a cool idea Retrocon!!!!!

Im in London though if I muster up the passion and figure out how to get there I'll definately come

OmarNawaz posted on Aug 6 2006 at 02:32 PM said:
hell yeah sounds like a cool idea Retrocon!!!!!

Im in London though if I muster up the passion and figure out how to get there I'll definately come

It's real easy from London - you can also take the train. Ok - looks like enough interest is here to start proceedings to take this down a retro route..

Back