Repair Questions

Flexinoodle

So i put the GP2X on hold till after chrimbo but i wanted something to mess with so i bought a broken 32, The lad i bought it off says that it has a red wire inside that needs soldering but he doesn't have a soldering iron to fix it.

I checked out a shitload of posts here and i have read the stuff by Drew and so on, The thing is though that the only red wire i can see in any of the pics is just to the speaker, However all the pics i have seen have been BLUs and this is a FLU, Is there a red wire connected to the FL part of the screen and would it stop the unit from working if not connected ?

I haven't actually got it in front of me for a couple of days but i'm already starting to think that it is probably the Diode thing at least and this wire business is non existent.

Anybody have any ideas about red wires inside FLUs ??

Also a suggestion on a soldering iron would be cool too, I can solder no problem, I have been running studios since i was a kid so you can imagine i have soldered heheheheh, This does not mean i know how to pick a nice iron for soldering to PCBs though (A lot of bodge jobs happen in studios and i have soldered with all kinds of crap, Lately favouring a little gas iron)

I saw that GP32 on ebay.co.uk. I was going to buy it until it said it was broken. Good Luck fixing it. It must be something to do with the power seeing as it doesn't turn on. I doubt it's the front light. But then again I know nothing about GP32s and Electronics.

Well, if by turn-on, it means turning on the edge light for the FLU, then the red wire in question is probably the red wire that goes from the back switch to the power connector on the PCB next to the battery.

I think I remember someone with this problem a couple months back. I guess he dumped his FLU off on ebay. :p

Cheers!

Double Post Somehow, my bad. :angry:

Guess I could use it anyways:

No, the FLU switch in the back is for the light only. It shouldn't stop the unit from turning on and functioning as an NLU.

There is a red wire that is easy to break that leads to the switch on the back of the case, the only turns the screen front light on. As has already been said this is the most likely wire that has pulled off. Turn the GP on and look at the screen under a light, does the screen work? Does the little red light at the top turn on? IF they do then reconnect that wire to the switch and you are away. However if it doesn't then the person who sold it probably knew it was broken and described it as this fault so someone would think it is easy to fix, but they did state that it is broken. :angry:

Where do you live Flexinoodle? If you are in the UK I have a FLU that is working except for the front light (which I removed when it got badly scratched by the glass screen falling out when moving house) works fine, except its now a NLU. If you want it you can have it for nothing, I was looking at making it into a console, but couldn't be arsed. Between the two you'll have a fully working FLU.

Well.... If it doesnt come on at all, then it looks like its a dud, and is unlikely to be easily fixable.

Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay for it?

carlgeorge posted on Dec 11 2005 at 10:45 PM said:
Laintsurge, offer noted. We'll wait and see if flexinoodle has bought a dud or if its just an easy fix first.

Anyway I think he paid quite a lot for it. It was like £50 or over. Which is quite a lot if it doesn't work at all. The person selling it said it was his brothers and it only needed a wire soldering ... Maybe it does maybe it doesn't. He probably dropped it and is trying to flog it. And he has.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was £40 including postage but he swears blind it just needs soldering.

Carl your generous offer is noted but i have to say i will buy the unit off you, I will not take it for free ;) (If it was a PSP forum i would take it for free but then it wouldn't have been offered heheheh)

Basically i just oirdered a joypad for my Axim and i had enough left to buy this old dog hehehehehehehehe, It should be here in a couple of days hopefully so we will see what happens hehehehehe (I have to admit that when i started bidding on it it didn't have Broken in the description so basically the guy has no legs to stand on if it isn't just a wire- Buuuuuuuuuuuuut i'm not a bastard so i wont hold him to it)

Thanks for alll your input guys i'm pretty sure you don't realise how appreciated you all are ;)

Flexinoodle posted on Dec 12 2005 at 11:23 AM said:
I have to admit that when i started bidding on it it didn't have Broken in the description so basically the guy has no legs to stand on if it isn't just a wire- Buuuuuuuuuuuuut i'm not a bastard so i wont hold him to it)

Not trying to stir things up but if I saw the same GP32 as you on ebay.co.uk. It said that it was his brothers and he didn't know the condition of it. Then someone asked if it worked and he said no it needs a wire soldering. Look at the item description again and at the bottom of the page. But then again if he's so certain it's a wire wy doesn't he tell you exactly where it is so you can fix it.

Last edited by a moderator:
There were no questions when i first bid, After that i didn't really go and look at the description again heheheheh, I just bid from my Ebay, I'm sure i'll sort something out of it, If the worst comes to worst it will be spares for someone ;)

My now NLU never gets used anymore -- I have a BLU and a GP2X so it probably never will again. I would prefer to let someone put the FLU panel back in and enjoy the machine rather than never have it played with again. :)

Also I hate Ebay Scammers which is what I think this chap is.

If I could think of a practical way of getting a video out signal from it I would have done a Ben Heck on it and put it in an original grey PC Engine case.

I was thinkin the exact same thing about a GP2X, Hopefully we can both find somebody who smashs there screen or something and build ourselves one (Actually that sounds like a really horrible thing to say hehehehehe)

Mmmmm. I didn't even think of the GP2X for some reason. :blink: It would be perfect for that, although a 2 button PC Engine pad wouldn't cut the mustard. I seriously think I might have to consider doing something like that after Xmas. Perhaps I should consider lasering a nice brushed stainless console at work. Damn, you got me thinking now. :D

Back