Reordering Update

craigix said:
What we need to find is a solution to this, it looks like we may have to take about 40% of the orders via other means, we are allowed to take the rest via credit cards.
Jus in case some people did not read the whole thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't get a preorder spot, but I'd be happy to pay via transfer if it means being able to get one of the 200 - 300 extra 1st batch pandoras. Getting a U.S. bank account seems to be the easiest solution to the problem, but there might be hidden issues I don't know about.

No brainer really, lack of information of when the product is likely to ship, lack of updates, just basic lack of communication from the devs to the poeple buying the machine.

This has caused people to take the safe route and want to use a credit card.

Could Chip open an NA store? I could drive to him to pick up my unit

stepp said:
No brainer really, lack of information of when the product is likely to ship, lack of updates, just basic lack of communication from the devs to the poeple buying the machine.

This has caused people to take the safe route and want to use a credit card.
Now that's not true. They have estimated it to ship around January/February time, have provided 2 major updates over the last 2 days, and there has been plenty of communication from them in the forums.

Couldn't we pay by CC via EvilDragons shop?
He doesn't have a problem with this bank stuff, right?

If every bank sets a limit on how much money you can get from CC orders, then the only solution is to set multiple accounts in multiple banks.

Then setup a CC reorder website and tell people to use one of several different bank accounts. This can be divided either randomly (generate a random number each time when the website is displayed, e.g. with PHP) or by assigning each account to different geographical region. That should give you a roughly equal distribution of money on all accounts.

My mastercard is from halifax but i dont have a account with them,how would i go about doing a money transfer?

Look, I want a Pandora as much as the rest of us here on the thread... but one needs to consider the risk from an "outsider's perspective", namely those of us who never heard of Craigix, EvilDragon, etc before finding out about the Pandora.

We have no shipping date, no demonstration of a single fully completed unit, software that is still not complete, a history of (long) delays & problems, and the official "information channel" (i.e. Chip) being misinformed on important subjects without explanation. Without personal knowledge of you guys - you can see how we can be nervous and wish to hang onto the security inherent in a credit card purchase.

I understand & feel your pain. I run a small business and, although I haven't accepting a million dollars in credit card orders, I know the hell they put us through. I just can't put that much money down on something I haven't yet seen and have no idea when I might.

As a comparison, here in Australia, the money I would put down for the Pandora would purchase a PSP + games (with spare cash), a Wii + games (with change), an XBox360 + games (with spare cash), or even a PS2 + games + television! The Pandora is cool - but it was meant to be a delayed Father's Day present, it is not getting here for Christmas, and a January delivery is looking more tenuous every day. Give me some good news, because so far I can't see how ANYONE who doesn't know you personally can put that money down without security...

Yea, I kind of feel the same way as BenT. I think to allay any fears, you need to have a stack of Pandora's at the ready.

But I have a blog that I wouldn't mind driving traffic too, So I am very much considering a bank transfer in order to review the Pandora and have some other information for people.

craigix said:
Opinions, solutions, ideas? I know it's a bastard, let's just try to work though it, some kind of reward for people going the extra mile to pay via a transfer is possible.
I've used this service before and it is reasonably cheap:

http://www.moneybookers.com/

You also get some commission if you get 'referred' by someone...

HTH,
Kai

PS: I've paid by credit card and I am willing to re-pay by bank transfer (UK) if I get refunded. How can I do that?

Today I received a transaction letter from ABN AMRO (Dutch bank) with the refund. The amount I received will be transfered back to Open Panodra by bank account. You guys had enough hassle already, and if I didn't trust the project I would've been long gone.

It's nice to see you are 100% behind the project and the potential buyers. Banks are crazy nowadays. It's their fault in the first place (the so called "crisis"), but (as always) the consumers are the getting the smacks in the face. They always took a good profit of your money and now they are giving you the finger.

BenT said:
Look, I want a Pandora as much as the rest of us here on the thread... but one needs to consider the risk from an "outsider's perspective", namely those of us who never heard of Craigix, EvilDragon, etc before finding out about the Pandora.

<snip>

Give me some good news, because so far I can't see how ANYONE who doesn't know you personally can put that money down without security...
I didn't find out about the Pandora until a week before preorders, and never visited these forums before then. Any mention of EvilDragon probably would've triggered MMO flashbacks of bad pickup groups (no offense to your nick, ED :D ) and I've already reordered by bank transfer. Not trying to start an argument, just pointing out that the outsider perspective is hardly unilateral and that one should not make assumptions about others in the same boat.

On to my real point: is it really constructive to start yet another "why I feel my trust is shaken" vs "you knew what you were in for" debate? Especially in this thread in which Craig wants everyone to try and find some solution to the problem? Haven't there been plenty already, in plenty of threads? This doesn't seem like the place nor the time to me.

Wootson said:
Banks are crazy nowadays. It's their fault in the first place (the so called "crisis"), but (as always) the consumers are the getting the smacks in the face. They always took a good profit of your money and now they are giving you the finger.
our US banks shouldnt be able to call a crisis anymore, after the money us taxpayers just gave them and all...

As someone else said can we pay by debit card? (visa debit, maestro) - I'd be happy paying this way

alternatively, paypal would be my 2nd choice

I didn't order the 1st time but have signed up to the newsletter to get the chance to order one of the extra 2-300

I have bought from Craig for years - a gp32 & a gp2x - so I know he is reliable

Like most Canadians, I can say that I actually profited from the refund; so any kind of bank transfer I'm fine with. I'll wait until there is either a online method we will be using here, or waltz my way over to my bank and gladly get one done through my bank.

edit: Perhaps http://hyperwallet.com would be a solution of some sort? I've used their services extensively to bypass limits at times long ago and it was fairly smooth.

I'm not against a wire transfer, if it were not for the cost of the transfer from Canada to the UK. In general it seems to be $30 for the wire transfer plus 'cable cost' of $15 to $35, plus additional charges from the bank in the UK. I for one prefer to stick to a credit card payment and not have to pay up to $75 for a wire transfer. I'm open for other (less expensive) alternatives, if any.

@Drak: I'm Canadian but certainly did not profit from the refund. I stand to loose some $30 if I decide not to reorder.

Back