Removed And Replaced Sd Card But It Doesn't Show Up Anymore?

puppydee

Linux Virgin!
Website
Visit site
I just took my sd card out of the pandora to put a few files on off my pc but now I've plugged it back into the pandora it no longer shows up even after a reboot, what am I doing wrong? Ive not reformatted it or anything just added a couple of files. I admit it's probably something easy but I'm stuck again :)

slaeshjag said:
Type dmesg in a terminal after inserting it, you should get some relevant leads there.

Oh great it's saying it's not a valid FAT filesystem now :( Tried reformatting which went ok and I put some files on it but after I took it out and put it back in again it comes up as corrupt again. It's a new one from OP aswell so I shouldn't really be getting any problems with it. Just put it on a full format to see if that works and I'll try again. I think I've been doomed with this thing so far :(

Edit: It's funny because I just tried another card and it didn't find it and in terminal it says it's not a valid FAT file system but I plugged it in the opposite card slot and it found it straight away, so i popped it back in the other one and it's there to now. Just hope the 32gb card will do the same once it's reformatted again. it's the god dam gremlins I tell you :)

Edit 2: Ok got it working again but it'll only work in the pandora, windows just says it needs formatting everytime i put it in, strange :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, might you have removed it while you were writing data to it?
That could cause such corruption.

puppydee said:
Edit 2: Ok got it working again but it'll only work in the pandora, windows just says it needs formatting everytime i put it in, strange :)

Did it format it in a Linux file system format? Something like ext2?

Windows won't support that natively, only NTFS/FAT/FAT32.

Not sure if this is helpful or not, if you are running Vista like I am it may be. Every SD card I put into the built in card reader on my laptop tells me I may need to scan for errors. I just click ignore or continue or whatever and both Windows and my PDA and the DSi all read and write to the cards fine. Not sure why Windows always wants to "fix" the cards when it never finds errors on them (at first I would have it scan them, never found a problem). It's strange. So just click away the message and you'll likely be fine every time.

If you haven't, I think you need to install the Community Codec Package in order to get support for NTFS on the Pandora. Then you should format the card to NTFS and it should work in both Windows and the Pandora.

Yeah, everybody needs to use the Panasonic SD Formatter. It's really, REALLY useful.
In the GBATemp community, it's usually our first go-to guy whenever we have issues with our SD cards. I actually created a thread about it a minute or two ago (I hope that it's in the right place XD).

I'm having this issue too.

How do you format the SD card using the Pandora itself?

At the moment my Pandora SD card won't mount on my PC or Mac, and my digital camera doesn't recognise it either, but it works in the Pandora. Fine for storage but not for using to transfer files, I'm having to use a USB stick for that.

Shirohagen, what's the size of the SD Card you're using, and is the card-reader you're using definitely compatible with it? (I ask on the off-chance it's an SDHC Card, but the SD Card reader isn't SDHC-compatible.)

Prometheus said:
Shirohagen, what's the size of the SD Card you're using, and is the card-reader you're using definitely compatible with it? (I ask on the off-chance it's an SDHC Card, but the SD Card reader isn't SDHC-compatible.)
It could be that, or the card could be formatted to ext2 - is this likely?

You can format on the Pandora with the command-line tool "parted" - I don't know if this is included by default, but most Linux distros do, so that's what I'd try. You can find guides to using it online.

Tom` said:
It could be that, or the card could be formatted to ext2 - is this likely?
I'm somewhat doubtful of this - my experience of how Mac OS X handles ext2 is that it will claim that the card hasn't been initialised, and ask you if you want to format it.

Back