Remap Gaming Buttons Within Xfce

This is stupid ,why can't the emulators and games be fixed so they can be mapped instead of rescripting the os around games/emulators ? so example i can map what ever to what ever in the os ,then i boot up picodrive but my controls are crazy ,so i use the trusty change buttons option that should be in ALL emulators and games so i can then map to what ever i originaly mapped in the os.

I mean lets face it the pandora emulators have got a way to go before authors will stop working on them ,most are beta if not all are beta so once these emulators get worked on some more,one of the first things to do would be to make the emulator/game compatible with the pandora os in terms of user button mapping cfg.

We need a nce gui for mapping the buttons/dpad and full keymat on the os ,then there should also be a simular style mapping option on the emulators that you would get in any other pc emulator.

You'll get very, very old waiting for every dev to add keymapping to every release. ;) An OS fix can be done by one or two people though, then everyone gets it.

Hopefully there is a nice mapping GUI eventually, perhaps incorporating a switcher like ED mentions so you can set up mappings for different modes (desktop mode, game mode etc). It's a realistic wish, too. :)

Gruso said:
You'll get very, very old waiting for every dev to add keymapping to every release. ;) An OS fix can be done by one or two people though, then everyone gets it.

Hopefully there is a nice mapping GUI eventually, perhaps incorporating a switcher like ED mentions so you can set up mappings for different modes (desktop mode, game mode etc). It's a realistic wish, too. :)

+100 ,i guess you are right Gruso :lol: we need this now becase the nubs are useless to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
xopher said:
I too am interested. Would love A left click, B right, I really love this bit of kit,The form factor is sweet,I just want things where I want them now.
+10, that combo would be perfect as a mouse for me as well.

I think it would be best to have the option to freely change the keyboard layout.
For compability a <RequiresDefaultKeymapping> field could be added to the PXML, which either Changes the Mapping on-the-fly (when App is in Focus), or better asks the User something along the lines of

'This PND requires the default Keymapping to work properly
[run with default keymapping]
[run with custom keymapping]
(*) remember Choice'.

many of us have been requesting the ability to change the button layout,is it really quite hard to do ? we need a proper tutorial on it and i also looked at the cfg for controls but have no idea what the strings are for.

Personally, I find the default mappings quite good. Arrow keys, PgUp/Dn, Home/End are all brilliantly useful. My only quibble is to swap the L and R buttons: if I don't have a thumb free for the shift button, I'm likely not to find the L button (on the same side) too convenient.

Perhaps pnd's could be given an optional field to demand the default key-binding?

--Todd

EvilDragon said:
meandu229 said:
I changed these
keycode 88 = End XF86_Switch_VT_2 End XF86_Switch_VT_2
keycode 89 = Next XF86_Switch_VT_1 Next XF86_Switch_VT_1
to
keycode 88 = End y End y
keycode 89 = Y Next Y

And no luck, ive rebooted, do I need to do anything else?

Hmm, is the file named correctly?

I just tried it as well, I didn't change the file's name either. I grabbed the mapping from here:
http://www.geocities.jp/fred_b_maciel/kbd/kbd-e.html

The Mousekeys Feature

As expected of X keyboard mappings, there are symbols (keysyms) that can be mapped to the keys. The main ones for the mouse buttons are:

* Pointer_Button1, Pointer_Button2, Pointer_Button3: the three mouse buttons.
* Pointer_Drag1, Pointer_Drag2, Pointer_Drag3: toggles the buttons on and off (useful, as the name says, for dragging).
* Pointer_DblClick1, Pointer_DblClick2, Pointer_DblClick3: double click.

Mousekeys has also a control that turns on and off the feature as a whole, and a timeout (the latter is useful when a user leaves a shared terminal forgetting to turn Mousekeys off).

And replaced the entries on Home and End (somewhere around 83 or so) and no dice. The Home and End keys still function as Home and End, even after a reboot.

chaosmage said:
And replaced the entries on Home and End (somewhere around 83 or so) and no dice. The Home and End keys still function as Home and End, even after a reboot.
Game buttons A and B (currently Home and End) are keycodes 110 (A) and 115 ( B) , FWIW

EDIT: Oh WTF, their normal Home and End are 83 and 88 (and so X keysym to keycode function gives 83 and 88 from Home and End), but xev says that they're 110 and 115 anyways, but my .pndXmodmap has nothing for those codes -- so wait a second :p

Back