Reducing Rom List Load Times

SirConnery

Shaken, not stirred.
I carry a massive list of rom files on my Caanoo over various emulators. I'm starting to encounter rom list load times that are delayed since I have a few hundred or more files. I'm assuming that it needs to read and load the entire list and this delays starting games. While I could reduce this to just the games I play most frequently, I like the idea of carrying entire collections around with me for these emulators. I have plenty of space to do it, since I'm using a 32GB SDHC card.

I'd like to see if there's any way to reduce the load times though. Should I make separate folders for each letter alphabetically? Would upgrading to a better flash card possibly improve this? I'm using a Class 10 Transcend card, but I would upgrade to a Sandisk Class 10 Extreme card if it would improve things a bit. I see these with listed speeds of 30-45mb/sec. I'm not sure if the Caanoo is capable of using these cards at higher speeds though. I know the cards would work fine, but I'm curious if anyone has seen a speed increase when they used it with their Caanoo systems?

Ryan Lucas said:
I carry a massive list of rom files on my Caanoo over various emulators. I'm starting to encounter rom list load times that are delayed since I have a few hundred or more files. I'm assuming that it needs to read and load the entire list and this delays starting games. While I could reduce this to just the games I play most frequently, I like the idea of carrying entire collections around with me for these emulators. I have plenty of space to do it, since I'm using a 32GB SDHC card.

I'd like to see if there's any way to reduce the load times though. Should I make separate folders for each letter alphabetically? Would upgrading to a better flash card possibly improve this? I'm using a Class 10 Transcend card, but I would upgrade to a Sandisk Class 10 Extreme card if it would improve things a bit. I see these with listed speeds of 30-45mb/sec. I'm not sure if the Caanoo is capable of using these cards at higher speeds though. I know the cards would work fine, but I'm curious if anyone has seen a speed increase when they used it with their Caanoo systems?

Hey this certainly worked for me so check it out..
http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingux-emulation/getting-mame4all-(other-emus)-to-load-a-2000-gamelist-super-fast!/msg18877/#msg18877

Last edited by a moderator:
Back