Sd Card Speed Question

sternrulez

Still Fresh
Good Morning,

I should be getting my Caanoo in the mail this week, and I'm shopping for an SD card for it. However, since I'm going to be playing Playstation games on it, I was wondering what speed (class)card to get? I'm concerned with the card's ability to load the data quickly enough so as not to cause playability issues or lengthy loading times. Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Well I use a Transend 16GB SDHC Class 10, How much are you willing to spend and what size are you after - Amazon.co.uk have a 32GB Class 10 for £24.00

Link
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003SGGG2Y/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_g147_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0YM9VB0NMJ0P6CQMN283&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

ruffnutts :)

Actually, I'm not sure of what size I'd like to get...obviously the bigger the better, but I was primarily concerned with the speed issue first before choosing the size. Thanks so much for the info! :)

I just picked up a 32GB class 10 for $44CDN.

If your plan is to play Playstation games, I'd suggest you get either a 16 or 32GB... anything smaller will get full really quickly.

ruffnutts said:
Well I use a Transend 16GB SDHC Class 10, How much are you willing to spend and what size are you after - Amazon.co.uk have a 32GB Class 10 for £24.00

Link
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003SGGG2Y/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_g147_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0YM9VB0NMJ0P6CQMN283&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

ruffnutts :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to you all for the helpful info...they were right about you guys being the best!! :)

The speed of the card is irrelevant, as the Playstation CD-rom was single speed(150kb/s if I remember correctly) and that is much slower than the slowest SD card you can buy. The Caanoo itself doesn´t seem to be fast enough to take advantage of a class 10 card. I´m using class 6 and class 10 cards and I can´t notice any significant differences.

I didn't actually go looking for a fast SD card, it just happened to be the one that was on sale.

That being said, I like it because it doesn't take a zillion years to copy isos to it from my PC. :)

Akabei said:
The speed of the card is irrelevant, as the Playstation CD-rom was single speed(150kb/s if I remember correctly) and that is much slower than the slowest SD card you can buy. The Caanoo itself doesn´t seem to be fast enough to take advantage of a class 10 card. I´m using class 6 and class 10 cards and I can´t notice any significant differences.

Trust me, coming from someone who works for a major SD card manufacturer (I just prefer not to say who) ;) , you will receive no difference in using a class 10 or a class 4 on the Caanoo itself. I have tested high speed class 10 cards on the unit as well as class 6 and 4, and believe it or not it actually felt like class 4 was quicker on the device for some odd reason. I use 32GB class 4 cards on the Caanoo, Wiz, GP2x F-100 and F-200 and they work great on all of them (the latter two with Open2x installed). Even transferring from PC to card is not very high speed unless you are transferring a very large (movie or iso) file and can achieve the speeds. If you are transferring 2000 small romfiles, the speeds were not very different between 10 and 4 honestly.

When I had a Wiz, I noticed a good difference from a class 6 to a class 10. The unit booted faster and games loaded quicker. I have a Transcend 16gb Class 10 card and I haven't had any problems with it. As others have noted, go with a 32gb card as PS1 games average around 700mb.

Hello everyone!
Is it all right that I have only 200KB/s speed when coping files to 16GB SDHC class 10 card inside my CAANOO over USB instead of ~10MB/s which is typical to class 10?
It's really a big problem for me cause it takes forever to copy something different from an apps (e.g. a film).

I get about 900 kb/s copying to Caanoo. The card is class 4 or 6 so its way below what its capable of

If your PC doesn´t already have one built-in, buy an sd card reader. It´s way faster than the caanoo and they cost only a few bucks(pay attention, they also read sdhc cards, as some old readers can´t.)

It is not a problem to buy a card reader, but it is really annoying to turn off console, eject card, insert it into card reader, copy files to it, eject card, insert it back to console and finally turn on the caanoo. And all this steps you have to repeat all the time you want copy something bigger than 50 MB, e.g. a new series of your favourite tv show.
Much easier to plug usb/power cord and copy files direct to console.

Well, I picked up a 32GB class 10 card on Amazon for $40 USD, and it included a card reader. I DO agree with Smile though...it's going to be a pain copying new files onto it having to take the card out all the time. All I have to get now is a usb to usb cable...I have almost a dozen mini to usb, but no full-size...lol! In the meantime I'll suffer with the transfer. Thanks again to all of you for your responses! :)

sternrulez said:
All I have to get now is a usb to usb cable...I have almost a dozen mini to usb, but no full-size...lol! In the meantime I'll suffer with the transfer. Thanks again to all of you for your responses! :)

If you are intending to use a double-ended USB A male cable in the Caanoo's host port to transfer from a computer, fair warning that it doesn't work like that.

Apologies if I've misunderstood your meaning, but I've seen a few people who were confused on this in the past, and thought I'd save you the potential trouble.

sternrulez said:
Well, I picked up a 32GB class 10 card on Amazon for $40 USD, and it included a card reader. I DO agree with Smile though...it's going to be a pain copying new files onto it having to take the card out all the time. All I have to get now is a usb to usb cable...I have almost a dozen mini to usb, but no full-size...lol! In the meantime I'll suffer with the transfer. Thanks again to all of you for your responses! :)
What are you powering your caanoo with ?
I'm using the USB link provided in my box. That USB link also allow me to copy files to my SDcard inside my caanoo (saving the manual activities)

@someoneElse, yes that is what I was going to do...thank you for the insight before I got one. Why was I going to do that? Read on...

@sebt3, hm...that's odd...I tried using the power cable that came with the caanoo, but my pc doesn't recognize it as a valid removable HD...I thought that it was only a charging cable until you mentioned it in your post. I have a few other USB ports available, so I'll try them and report back with the results. :)

Sorry it took me a bit to get back...had some...RL issues. Anyway, the reason why it wouldn't work was because of either the caanoo unit or the power cord itself. Either way, it takes some maneuvering to get the unit to charge...the plug seems rather loose when connected. Therefore, this same lack of connection also causes the caanoo to not be recognized by my pc unless the cable is situated "just right". Actually it's gotten to the point where when I try to add/delete files using the charging cable, I'm now getting an error message saying the USB device is not recognized (I can only assume because of the prior spotty connectivity). Therefore, I'm back to square one...removing the SD card and using my reader to manage the files. My only hope is that this "looseness" will not be a problem down the road when I need to charge the device.

Back