Recommend me a comic reader [Android]

Fzero

Advanced Member
Any comic fans that read on their Android phones/tablets?

I'm looking for an app to enjoy some 2000AD comics on, which are .cbr format.

Just a quick google and thinking about ComicRack app, just wondered if anyone has suggestions, perhaps something better, or if that app is also your fav?

I guess my criteria really is;

FREE, ideally :)

Simple interface

Full screen

Not brimming with adverts

Save the page for picking up later [i guess they all would do this though?]

cheers

I'd recommend Perfect Viewer, it is truly Zarjaz ;)

It should do everything you're asking for.

One thing I found useful, hidden in the settings is that you can assign page turns to hardware buttons.

Nice :) :)

I'll get that one then now, I like the hardware thing, my phone has a nice volume rocker which will be perfect for that, thanks

That's good _wb_, will be nice to read these on the Pandora too.

It's been ages since I picked up a graphic novel but I quite fancy getting stuck into one

I use Komik for my magazine (scans in .cbr/rar/zip/cbz formats) and it's pretty good.

D.

Komik looks nice too, I like the dark looking theme of it.

Perhaps give that a try too soon. Perfect Viewer seems good though, I've installed it and dumped some comics on the bookshelf. Also installed the .pdf viewer for it too so I could add some of the retro gaming magazines I have in that format

That's good _wb_, will be nice to read these on the Pandora too.

It's been ages since I picked up a graphic novel but I quite fancy getting stuck into one
There are already QComicBook and Comix available on the repo (in case you did not know already)
I use Komik for my magazine (scans in .cbr/rar/zip/cbz formats) and it's pretty good.
I also use Komik (the paid version) on my Note3 occasionally (and recommend it), but for reasons I can't explain myself I returned to reading comics on my Pandora (with Comix).

Last edited by a moderator:
Since this is somehow related to the thread:

Can you guys recommend a tablet for reading comics?

I've got so many comics because of HumbleBundle now that I could use a nice colourful reader for those, because my eBook reader just won't cut it, I want the colors and a bigger screen for this.

Long battery life would be grand, if it could play most of my Android games (also HB), it would be even better. No Windows or Apple stuff of course.

I would probably go to dx.com

edit: fuck, how?

and buy the cheapest tablet for like $50.

Edit: Don't know how that post got posted, maybe some keyboard combo I'm unaware of.

Anyways. Maybe this one: http://www.dx.com/p/a13-7-capacitive-touch-screen-android-4-0-tablet-pc-w-tf-camera-wi-fi-g-sensor-black-148466

The stuff from that shop is usually not of a good quality, but good enough and really, really cheap, and it arrives (not sooner or later, but definitely later).

A good tablet would cost too much in my opinion, so I would go for the absolute low end.

Edit: Battery life probably won't be great with a tablet like this one, but again, I wouldn't pay a lot for a tablet, so I only ever looked at really cheap ones and the really cheap ones don't have good batteries.

Edit: Or that one http://www.dx.com/p/arnova-an7g3-7-0-dual-core-android-4-0-tablet-pc-w-1gb-ram-4gb-rom-wi-fi-black-309726 seems to be one of the cheapest with 1GB of RAM, bit better than 512MB.

Or perhaps the Archos Gamepad?

Those are cheap now, the first edition ones anyway, since the Gamepad 2 came out.

On ebay, £50 new

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Archos-7-GamePad-Tablet-8GB-1-6-GHz-HD-Wi-Fi-Android-4-1-Jelly-Bean-Grey-/291070449356

Or the JXD ones with controls?

The dpad on the Archos Gamepad isn't ideal, in that it's separate buttons, but depending on the games you have and will be playing on it, it might do?

Thinking that the reading might be nice on these tablets with physical buttons too, as you can probably navigate/turn page/zoom, using the buttons

Even the old Archos Gamepad still costs about 80€ where I live and I would rather have something with a small frame (so without controls) but it's a nice idea thrown in for some people.

Do many Android games support the physical controls?

Go for anything 10" with decent resolution - preferably at least 1280px on the longest edge. Neither of the recommendations will cut it, I'm afraid - not for comic reading at any rate.

I have a Nexus 7 2013, and have about 13GB of comics on it. It's *almost* perfect, but the 7" screen lets it down - it's too small to read for my 40 year-old eyes. Wearing my glasses helps. Resolution on the N7 is about right, so that sort of resolution in a 10" is about what you want.

D.

Even the old Archos Gamepad still costs about 80€ where I live and I would rather have something with a small frame (so without controls) but it's a nice idea thrown in for some people.

Do many Android games support the physical controls?
A lot do yes, and the these type tablets come with their own button mapping software, so you can easily setup any game to work with them really

Go for anything 10" with decent resolution - preferably at least 1280px on the longest edge. Neither of the recommendations will cut it, I'm afraid - not for comic reading at any rate.

I have a Nexus 7 2013, and have about 13GB of comics on it. It's *almost* perfect, but the 7" screen lets it down - it's too small to read for my 40 year-old eyes. Wearing my glasses helps. Resolution on the N7 is about right, so that sort of resolution in a 10" is about what you want.

D.
Yes, I thought about 10'' minimum too for comics, didn't know that there are so many smaller tablets around because I never was into this, but they appeal to me as a digital comic book reader if the display is big and sharp, doesn't have to be fast though.

So far, all the recommended tablets have had screen resolutions of 800x480(!) and 1024x600 - that's nowhere near enough to read comics on. Plain text in E-Books scales very well with resolution, but bitmapped text in scanned comics does not.

You need as high a resolution as you can get. Has the N7's screen density been available in a 10" form factor, I would have bought that for my comics. As it is, the Nexus 7 (which has possibly currently the most pixel-dense display available in tablet form so far) is barely suitable and occasionally needs zooming functions to read small text.

Contemporary comics like The Walking Dead, Crossed: Badlands et al are just about readable without discomfort. I have a set of Asterix books on there too, and they need zooming more often than not.

D.

Yeah, I guess it depends - Asterix is in a format larger than A4, usually, so to read them in original size you would need about 14".

Tintin is usually the same size, but I've got the cheaper edition which would be about 10" and that's still readable.

When searching for /cheap/ tablets on dx I find one with 10" for $100 and various 9" for prices around $70. But they have relatively low resolution, mostly the same as the Pandora, to be exact. I've read some comics on the Pandora, worked okay, but those were in another format than Asterix/Lucky Luke/Tintin and the like are.

I wouldn't order anything more expensive from dx, so I switch to a different online shop, where the cheapest tablet with a size >=9" is a 10.1" tablet with 1280 x 800 pixels for 177CHF. That seems too expensive to me, considering the resolution isn't great either.

Given a $200 budget, that's why I would probably go for a 9" tablet from dx (for about $65 including everything), I'm sure I could make do with one of those and use the rest of the money for something else.

So if Klumpen is okay with 9" Pandora resolution, I would recommend him one of those cheap ones nevertheless.

I'd rather have something with a higher resolution, budget roughly 350$, too bad that stuff is so expensive in Germany.

For overall utility< i'd go with the Asus - they make the current gen Nexus 7 and are excellent. That tablet there is basically last generations's Nexus 10. And it's good.

For style though, the Lenovo Ideapad is hard to beat.

Either way, it's pretty much neck and neck. Though I'd prefer higher resolution if possible, personally.

D.

Back