"Recipes" on git.openpandora.org

jamesjbruce

Still Fresh
Hey all,

I was hoping someone could enlighten me on this; I've looked at the file in question an it doesn't register as anything I recognise.

I also searched the Pandora Wiki and done a little preliminary googling but nothing turned up yet :)

What are the recipes on the git.openpandora.org?

For example. this:

http://git.openpandora.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=openembedded.git;a=tree;f=recipes/scim;hb=cf19ee7045b64e6a0fab29a8eff732f2a6c062a9

Is it for some build system I've not heard of? What is the recipe, how does it work, how do I use it?

Thanks all, I hope you can enlighten me!

Recipes are the core of OpenEmbedded Linux (OE), which is the Linux we are using here (Angstrom is also based on OE).

Basically, it's a very dynamic building system using these recipes.

Each recipe builds one package (i.e. Pidgin, FireFox, a library, a kernel module).

In each recipe there's information about the name, the version, where to get the sourcecode, what patches to apply, how to compile, if there are any dependencies and where to install the finished files.

There's also one master recipe for the image, i.e. the Pandora firmware image, which has the information which packages you want to install.

When you bake an image, the build server crawls through all the packages you want to have installed according to the main image, resolves dependencies and then builds the packages according to these recipes, resulting in compiled packages for a feed (same as a debian repo, basically) and a rootfs or flashable image which has all those packages preinstalled.

So given that we have a recipe, can I use that to install to a currently running Pandora OS?

(that is, does it / can it work like a package manager install?)

Is there some tool or script to do so?

Or would I have to add it to a firmware image to be built and compile my own?

Thanks ED, I'll look it up on the OE pages to try to work this stuff out if you don't want to answer.

Hopefully I can get something put together to make a PND out of SCIM and other useful bits :)

((on a side note - a reply to my thread! By EvilDragon! I'm very happy now. This community, and your effort and attention to detail, is awesome!))

So given that we have a recipe, can I use that to install to a currently running Pandora OS?
No. You could use it to build a pandora OS. But that task is already done and you can find the results of that as new firmwares at http://www.openpandora.org/firmware/

Or in other words, the recipes build the packages you can install with the packagemanager. The tool you are searching for is bitbake, first entry point should be http://www.openembedded.org/index.php/Bitbake you will find what you need there, including a link to the manual.

Oh awesome! Thank you double7, that's a great help!

I'll definitely be making use of that :)

Thank you, seems this is exactly the post I was looking for!

Thanks double7 and EvilDragon :) Will post again if I find problems but I think that might just be everything I needed! :D

Back