Release Gourmet Recipe Manager

_wb_

Microbe
Staff member
Gourmet Recipe Manager is now on the repo.

Gourmet Recipe Manager is a manager, editor, and organizer for recipes. It has a plugin architecture which allows you to enable extensions to Gourmet's base functionality. For example, there is a nutritional plugin that allows Gourmet to help you calculate nutritional information for any recipe. There are also a wide variety of import and export plugins that let Gourmet read and write recipes in various formats.

screenshot.png

Known issues:

- The export to PDF plugin is missing

- The spell check plugin is missing

- Locale is currently fixed to English (this could be easily changed if needed, but I had to make sure LC_ALL is set to something or else it crashes)

Let me know if it works like it should! I don't use this myself, so I don't really know how to test it.

Also let me know if you know good collections of recipes that work well with this program. Perhaps I could include some recipe collections in the PND.

Oh this looks nice - thank you. Looking at the screenshot I can see a big bunch of (vegetarian?) recepies - are they integrated ?

Oh this looks nice - thank you. Looking at the screenshot I can see a big bunch of (vegetarian?) recepies - are they integrated ?
No, I imported those from a file I found on this website: http://home.earthlink.net/~darkstar105/

But the quality of those recipes is not perfect, Gourmet doesn't always get what is the ingredient name and what is the amount, etc. And no picture of the dish is included. I didn't really look for better quality recipe files, but I'm sure something must exist somewhere on the internets because Gourmet can import nearly everything.

I tried to start the program and nothing happens... where's the log file located so I can see what's wrong?

This has potential to be very interesting.

I assume you could manually enter your own recipes?
That's the way it works on my Linux version I use.  As soon as I get it running, I'm going to try and import my recipes from my Linux box.

Well, I think I'll wait till you guys get it worked out then I might grab it as a nice little extra to have.

I'm no gourmet or anything, but it looks like it might be good to have.

Does not start here as reported on the repo. The pnd out throws a bunch of errors. It may be a permissions issue.

[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------

Mounting : mount -t squashfs -o ro "/dev/loop1" "/mnt/utmp/gourmet"
Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/appdata/gourmet=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/gourmet=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/gourmet"
[sUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Starting the application ( run ) ----------
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./bin/gourmet", line 15, in
from gourmet import GourmetRecipeManager
File "/mnt/utmp/gourmet//lib/python2.6/site-packages/gourmet/GourmetRecipeManager.py", line 9, in
import recipeManager
File "/mnt/utmp/gourmet//lib/python2.6/site-packages/gourmet/recipeManager.py", line 17, in
from backends.db import *
File "/mnt/utmp/gourmet//lib/python2.6/site-packages/gourmet/backends/db.py", line 22, in
import sqlalchemy, sqlalchemy.orm
File "/mnt/utmp/gourmet/lib/python2.6/site-packages/SQLAlchemy-0.7.10-py2.6-linux-armv7l.egg/sqlalchemy/__init__.py", line 52, in

File "/mnt/utmp/gourmet/lib/python2.6/site-packages/SQLAlchemy-0.7.10-py2.6-linux-armv7l.egg/sqlalchemy/types.py", line 33, in
except NameError:
File "/mnt/utmp/gourmet/lib/python2.6/site-packages/SQLAlchemy-0.7.10-py2.6-linux-armv7l.egg/sqlalchemy/processors.py", line 98, in
File "/mnt/utmp/gourmet/lib/python2.6/site-packages/SQLAlchemy-0.7.10-py2.6-linux-armv7l.egg/sqlalchemy/cprocessors.py", line 7, in
File "/mnt/utmp/gourmet/lib/python2.6/site-packages/SQLAlchemy-0.7.10-py2.6-linux-armv7l.egg/sqlalchemy/cprocessors.py", line 4, in __bootstrap__
File "/mnt/utmp/gourmet/lib/python2.6/site-packages/setuptools-0.6c11-py2.6.egg/pkg_resources.py", line 882, in resource_filename
File "/mnt/utmp/gourmet/lib/python2.6/site-packages/setuptools-0.6c11-py2.6.egg/pkg_resources.py", line 1351, in get_resource_filename
File "/mnt/utmp/gourmet/lib/python2.6/site-packages/setuptools-0.6c11-py2.6.egg/pkg_resources.py", line 1406, in _extract_resource
File "/mnt/utmp/gourmet/lib/python2.6/site-packages/setuptools-0.6c11-py2.6.egg/pkg_resources.py", line 928, in extraction_error
pkg_resources.ExtractionError: Can't extract file(s) to egg cache

The following error occurred while trying to extract file(s) to the Python egg
cache:

[Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '/mnt/utmp/gourmet/.python-eggs/SQLAlchemy-0.7.10-py2.6-linux-armv7l.egg-tmp/sqlalchemy/tmpJrvNJr.$extract'

The Python egg cache directory is currently set to:

/mnt/utmp/gourmet/.python-eggs

Perhaps your account does not have write access to this directory? You can
change the cache directory by setting the PYTHON_EGG_CACHE environment
variable to point to an accessible directory.

[ FAILED]--- Starting the application ( run ) ----------
[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
auplink:plink.c:223: AUFS_CTL_PLINK_MAINT: Inappropriate ioctl for device
rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/gourmet': Device or resource busy
[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
cleanup done
[sUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------
=======================================================================================
Return code is : 6

Last edited by a moderator:
Runs without problems for me (1GHz, ext2 fs, default driver, swap file).

Yes, looks like the usual problem with FAT. Does it persist after upgrading to the most recent firmware?

The thing is, Python and Gourmet itself want to write stuff in hidden folders in your home directory (i.e., the appdata directory). They cannot do that because of the FAT overlay mount issue. It's probably possible, but not easy, to circumvent the issue in some way, but I am hoping that it is fixed in SZ 1.55.

Yes, looks like the usual problem with FAT. Does it persist after upgrading to the most recent firmware? The thing is, Python and Gourmet itself want to write stuff in hidden folders in your home directory (i.e., the appdata directory). They cannot do that because of the FAT overlay mount issue. It's probably possible, but not easy, to circumvent the issue in some way, but I am hoping that it is fixed in SZ 1.55.
I haven't upgraded yet. Will do that and report... :)

I upgraded and restarted.. then tried to start GRM and again nothing happened.  If I reformat the card to ext2, would that fix the problem?

AFAICT the fix affects *make_pnd* (file/dir ownership in the squashfs). I think you have to rebuild the pnd with the changed settings.

Well, I only use FAT32, so maybe I won't be able to use this?

I'm sure as heck not re-formatting to exFAT at this point and losing everything I got on my cards

Well, I'm bot reformatting for ext2 eithyer.

I got way too much stuff on my card, which is FAT32.

If this can't work with FAT32, then I am gonna have to pass on it.

Well, I'm bot reformatting for ext2 eithyer.

I got way too much stuff on my card, which is FAT32.

If this can't work with FAT32, then I am gonna have to pass on it.
You could just transfer your data on your computer, format to ext2, then paste the files on your ext2 card again. But you need a PC running Linux for that. 

Most of my PC's are running Linux in one form or another... so doing so would be trivial... how many other pnd's are affected by this?

Back