recieved new pandora few problems and questions

churchhawk

Still Fresh
Hi all

Recieved my new pandora few problems :

1. the right top shoulder button feels rubbish, almost like it doesnt want to click down enough, if i open it up and take a look will this invalidate my warranty? I dont think its much but it just doesnt feel as nice as the lft button.

2. the front case has a lump in the bottom left corner, as if whoever did the screws up overtightened them and the screw has come through the plastic, not happy about this as it should of been picked up at final inspection, very poor imo.

3. how the hell do you exit mame4all? and for that mater most programmes, emulators etc?? I thought it was the pandora button but that just seems to make my machine stutter then it doesnt do anything.

Overall happy and not happy, the problems i have hardware wise should never have happened, a bit more care and a attemntion is needed.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome :)

1. You only need to remove the bottom cover to visually inspect the shoulder buttons (apparently) so that shouldn't affect your warranty. See this thread for more talk on that:

2. Suggest talking directly to your distributor about that.

3. The Pandora button has not been implemented as a global exit / menu button. I hope we can add a 'yet' to that sentence because I'd love to see it happen some day. Holding it in for about 5 seconds, then releasing it should bring up an option to kill any apps that are running. Best not to do that unless you really have to.

As for quitting emulators and other software the normal way, it will vary. Many of the emulators come from the GP2X, with its limited mapping options, so they have brought their quirky controls with them. It's worth trying Start, Select, Space, or Esc (Fn-Q) first to see if they bring up a menu. If not, key combos to try might be both shoulder buttons at once, both shoulder buttons + Start, Select + Start, and in the case of PSX4Pandora, both shoulder buttons + ABXY (yeah...)

It's homebrew, so each dev does things their own way. Don't forget to read the readme for each app, which if the dev has packaged things properly, will appear under the Documentation menu in XFCE (or via the Y button in Minimenu) once you've put the PND on your Pandora.

Welcome :)

1. You only need to remove the bottom cover to visually inspect the shoulder buttons (apparently) so that shouldn't affect your warranty. See this thread for more talk on that:

2. Suggest talking directly to your distributor about that.

3. The Pandora button has not been implemented as a global exit / menu button. I hope we can add a 'yet' to that sentence because I'd love to see it happen some day. Holding it in for about 5 seconds, then releasing it should bring up an option to kill any apps that are running. Best not to do that unless you really have to.

As for quitting emulators and other software the normal way, it will vary. Many of the emulators come from the GP2X, with its limited mapping options, so they have brought their quirky controls with them. It's worth trying Start, Select, Space, or Esc (Fn-Q) first to see if they bring up a menu. If not, key combos to try might be both shoulder buttons at once, both shoulder buttons + Start, Select + Start, and in the case of PSX4Pandora, both shoulder buttons + ABXY (yeah...)

It's homebrew, so each dev does things their own way. Don't forget to read the readme for each app, which if the dev has packaged things properly, will appear under the Documentation menu in XFCE (or via the Y button in Minimenu) once you've put the PND on your Pandora.

Cheers for the reply :)

Should both shoulder buttons have sponge applied to them? i took the back off and only the left one has a small sponge pad attatched to it, the right one ( the one causing me problems ) has no sponge.

3. If when you try the pandora button to kill an app, all you get is a flickering and then nothing, it means the kill app dialog box is behind the current app. Press UP once on the d-pad and then hit enter and it will choose close and likely do so.

3. If when you try the pandora button to kill an app, all you get is a flickering and then nothing, it means the kill app dialog box is behind the current app. Press UP once on the d-pad and then hit enter and it will choose close and likely do so.

Thankyou for that :)

I think mine has to go back though, the shoulder button is really bad on it, i cant beleieve it actually got passed testing i noticed it within 5 seconds of holding the thing!

Also the bump on the front is really poor, im not sure who assembles them but they really should learn how to use a screwdriver lol.

Have emailed openpandora too see when i can get a replacement.

3. how the hell do you exit mame4all? and for that mater most programmes, emulators etc?? I thought it was the pandora button but that just seems to make my machine stutter then it doesnt do anything.
MAME4All is exited by pressing Esc to quit out of the game (as in most MAME versions), and then the L and R shoulder buttons to quit from its menu (this latter part is displayed on-screen in the menu).

Many (or at least, many of the ones I use) apps make a note of how to exit them in their documentation, if my memory serves me correctly.

Would it be possible to set up a hotkey to return to the desktop, minimising any apps that are running?

Back