Rechargeable Batteries

GattoVicentino

Still Fresh
hi all...
I have a charger that reaches up to 2000 mAh. The vendor said that it cannot go over that limit...is it true? May the batteries (for example 2300 mAh) be damaged? May the charger itself be damaged? Or no danger anyway? Thanks !

What???

I believe your vendor is talking through his/her arse. A charger measures the voltage on a battery until it doesn;t increase any more, then it switches to a 'trickle' charge to keep the batteries charged. It'll just take slightly longer for 2300Mah cells to reach capacity than 2000Mah cells....

If anyone can tell me any different, I'd be interested to hear!!!

The vendor was probably getting confused. If you have a 2000ma adaptor, then you really shoudln't draw more than 2000ma from it, or it can overload.

However, battery charging is a completely different thing. For example, the Zodiac has an internal battery of about 2000mah, but it requires an adaptor that can supply 1000ma. Don't ask me to explain it, as I've no idea!

EDIT: Damn typos!

I don't know for sure, but I thought a charger normally uses 2v. and +/- 150mA per something. So if you would charge more batteries at once, like 4, it would be 600mA. But the charger is made to do so, so I guess it doesn't matter what type of thing you put in there.

Only things you should worry about is the time you leave it charging. The batteries can get quite hot in there.

Squidge posted on Aug 21 2004 at 12:00 AM said:
The vendor was probably getting confused. If you have a 2000mah adaptor, then you really shoudln't draw more than 2000mah from it, or it can overload.

However, battery charging is a completely different thing. For example, the Zodiac has an internal battery of about 2000mah, but it requires an adaptor that can supply 1000mah. Don't ask me to explain it, as I've no idea!
The adaptor supplies 1000mA not 1000mAh, these two things are completely different :) ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge posted on Aug 20 2004 at 11:00 PM said:
The vendor was probably getting confused. If you have a 2000mah adaptor, then you really shoudln't draw more than 2000mah from it, or it can overload.

However, battery charging is a completely different thing. For example, the Zodiac has an internal battery of about 2000mah, but it requires an adaptor that can supply 1000mah. Don't ask me to explain it, as I've no idea!
As was said above too, mAh is a measure of capacity, not of power output. For example, a 2000mAh battery can output 1mA for 200 hours, or 2000mA (2 amps) for 1 hour. or 500mA for 4 hours etc etc etc...

An adaptor doesn't have a maH rating, as it doesn't 'store' energy. It has a mA or A rating, which refers to power output...

Yes, I know mah (capable milli amps per hour) is storage and ma is current. Probably a typo after the 15 hours day yesterday :eek:

Please forgive me :)

mmmhh ... then no danger to charger or to batteries greater than 2000 mAh , even if the charger instructions only speak about 1600,1800 and 2000 mAh , is it right??

GattoVicentino posted on Aug 21 2004 at 02:19 PM said:
mmmhh ... then no danger to charger or to batteries greater than 2000 mAh , even if the charger instructions only speak about 1600,1800 and 2000 mAh , is it right??
Thats right as far as I know - I bought a Uniross charger that only talks about 1300Mah NiMh batteries (bought about 6 years ago) and I satill use it for 2200mAh with no ill-effects...

Back