Recent News Of Wiz Launching

I have been told the only way to fix the screen tearing is to use another display :(

And GPH don't want to do this as they cannot find a 320*240 AMOLED display and they don't want to not use an AMOLED.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Peter R' said:
don't want to not use an AMOLED.
First I'm sorry for
making off topic
But I would like to ask is this sentence correct ( our English teacher on last lesson told us that We can't make double negation ( it is quite hard for us to accept it coz in our language We can make how many We want ) )
( Just want to know ,, any way it is just a forum post :) :) )

Sometimes double negatives are appropriate, depending on the context. In Peter_R's case, saying "GPH wants to use an AMOLED screen" wouldn't have meant exactly the same thing since he's talking about options they can pursue, and they're already using an AMOLED so it wouldn't represent any kind of future action like "not using an AMOLED screen" does.

'Peter R' said:
Exophase has explained it far better than I could have. I think it is something a lot of us do without realising?
I think that it's situations like this where you really can't not use a double negative.

D.

'Peter R' said:
I have been told the only way to fix the screen tearing is to use another display :(

And GPH don't want to do this as they cannot find a 320*240 AMOLED display and they don't want to not use an AMOLED.
There are allot of other devices that use an OLEd screen. They don't tear. Sounds like an excuse for their duff display driver hardware/software.

You are proving yourself to be an idiot or you didn't read my post properly. They are using a 240*320AMOLED, it is designed to be portrait. The landscape mode clearly doesn't work properly. They cannot find a 320*240AMOLED display.

I apologise for my frank reply but you were rude and its 4:22am where I am.

Thanks Exophase ( I understood at least I think so ) ,, by the way now I can go to my English teacher and ask her this unfortunately it is week end but ..

'notaz' said:
Another major software problem is use of old ARM ABI (OABI). This forces to use old compilers. It also prevents running programs from other newer Linux devices on Wiz.

I'm sure GPH have stated that retail Wiz will use EABI.

Squidge: Really? That's excellent news, any extra hurdles that complicate porting should be avoided like the plague.

'Squidge' said:
'notaz' said:
Another major software problem is use of old ARM ABI (OABI). This forces to use old compilers. It also prevents running programs from other newer Linux devices on Wiz.

I'm sure GPH have stated that retail Wiz will use EABI.
Hooray, now I'll have to use a new toolchain. Probably just as well, since I need to get CodeSorcery's working for Pandora stuff.

There are a lot of devices that use 320x240 AMOLED screens, or at least are designed that way like Wiz is. If they're 240x320 then it's being handled transparently, but the software could be rotating things. If the Pollux had the ability to rotate 90/180/270 degrees in its display controller like the MMS2 has then I don't think there'd be a problem. I also wonder if it's using the 3D hardware to do the rotation behind the scenes and it's not synchronizing well (so one triangle gets drawn for the first frame and the other for the next frame). But I don't see how it could do this in hardware since it'd need extra memory for it, and I don't see how it can be in software either.

It isn't using 3D hardware. It is a problem with the 320x240 mode itself.

But where is the mode actually handled, on the display controller of the Pollux or on the screen internally?

The controller built into the screen module. I'm sure I have told you this before and even offered the datasheets for it :p.

But we still don't have an actual explanation as to why this is happening, and without that it's hard to say what is responsible. Maybe the vendor should be contacted to see if it's a known problem, but I kind of doubt it. If some kind of horizontal timing is too small (say, off by one pixel) then refresh could be happening in the middle a pixel short every line.

What I want to know is if the refresh rate can be changed, what it's currently at, and what the minimum and maximum rates are. If the refresh rate is lowered a lot then the problem might be easier to visually characterize.

Pardon my lack of knowledge on this, but will the switch to EABI break compatibility with all OABI-compiled C binaries? I read in the article below that structs are packed differently, will there be any backwards-compatibility in this regard, or is it safe to assume that all programs that read/write them directly will be broken?

http://wiki.debian.org/ArmEabiPort

Back