Really Good & Really Crazy Ideas

GuchaRU

First idea:
Why I can't listening to music while (for expample) walk on the street, or going to sports? To listen to music I must open the console. It is very inconvenient especially in the first case. But if you do console speackers as I painted below the problem would be solved.
pic1fh1.jpg

Second idea:
I thought: if the pandora's usb slot can be connected to commit any device, then what prevents inserted HDD into the console? Why should only use flash memory? You can make the console a little thicker (1 cm) and put HDD from the Laptop inside. You can also remove one SD slot and add somethink more useful.
pic2pl0.jpg

Well, I like the speaker idea, but at this point design changes are extremely unlikely. Everything is being finalized within the next month or so. Only the few tweaks recommended by the 100 Elite will probably make it into the final release.

Invest in headphones and SD cards. You don't want to bother others with your music and you don't want your data getting corrupted from movement or ocasional dropping on the floor.

Is it would interfere if I sit on the beach with friends and listening to music together =)
And about HDD, do not necessarily use it while on public transport, etc.. You can play (and especially to watch the video!) Lying in bed or sitting at the table. Do you think all your entire collection of videos, or even just a couple of anime serials fit on the flash card? Download from the pc to pandora to watch new series will be very inconvenient.....

Well, I like the speaker idea, but at this point design changes are extremely unlikely. Everything is being finalized within the next month or so. Only the few tweaks recommended by the 100 Elite will probably make it into the final release.

Yeah... unfortunately yes = (

The problem with the wraparound speaker grille idea is twofold.

First, the internal structure of the lid is paramount. Cutting into the edges is likely to weaken the whole lid and subject the LCD to stress. Not to mention having wraparound openings gives dirt and debris a path under the lid even when it's closed.

Second, you are not going to get much sound our of a few 1-2mm openings at right angles to the speaker. I'd be surprised if there was any noticeable difference in sound quality or volume from a closed-lid Pandora with or without side grilles.

The hard disk idea isn't necessarily bad, but it won't happen either. A HDD would add too much to the size, weight, and (most importantly) cost of the device. Hard disks are also much more fragile and power hungry than flash media. Trust me, SD cards are the best choice.

GuchaRU said:
Is it would interfere if I sit on the beach with friends and listening to music together =)
You can buy portable speakers for that purpose :)

GuchaRU said:
And about HDD, do not necessarily use it while on public transport, etc.. You can play (and especially to watch the video!) Lying in bed or sitting at the table.
In which case, what is wrong with having hd next to the Pandora connected via USB? You only need it secure if you would be moving it around, which lying in bed or at a table, you won't be.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you are at the beach, listening to music with your friends, what keeps you from opening the lid? Although I'd be careful with taking electronics to the beach. sand, saltwater and expensive gadgets don't mix in most cases ^^...

I think for the purpose of listening to music outside or at home, I would like an I-pod like pandora docking station, with speakers and a supporting battery. That would be deluxe! Well... one can dream.

GuchaRU said:
And about HDD, do not necessarily use it while on public transport, etc.. You can play (and especially to watch the video!) Lying in bed or sitting at the table. Do you think all your entire collection of videos, or even just a couple of anime serials fit on the flash card? Download from the pc to pandora to watch new series will be very inconvenient.....

Yeah... unfortunately yes = (
Unfortunately HDDs spin, and require that spin to be maintained. It uses up way too much power. Flash Memory is catching up with hard drives, for extra storage, jack a USB flash drive into the thing.

However, having a SATA / IDE interface would be neat. A little better than a simple slap-on HDD.

AireTamStorm said:
However, having a SATA / IDE interface would be neat.
There are eSATA-to-USB adapters and USB-and-no-extra-power-cord hard drives :D

GuchaRU said:
I predict that if you do this instead of using headphones or earbuds, you'll get punched in the Pandora. :p

GuchaRU said:
You could (make your own case with the CAD files that'll be included), but it would seriously reduce the battery time and durability of the Pandora, whilst increasing the weight, thickness, and storage capacity.

Sounds like you want a laptop.

I must say...if the Pandora got a HDD, I wouldn't be interested in it.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of these ideas, but meh - each to their own. The functionality that using them would add would, as stated, really be better served with a laptop and/or some portable speakers. Let alone that as war as we know, the hardware design is pretty much frozen now (barring tweaks like - for instance - dpad design and suchlike). Which kinda makes them moot, at least for this round.

Anyway, on another note, I know many posts here aren't currently heavy development threads, but this most definitely isn't. Moved to general.

GuchaRU said:
Why I can't listening to music while (for expample) walk on the street, or going to sports? To listen to music I must open the console.
Please, tell me you are not one of those people who play shitty music from their tinny mobile phone speakers in public spaces? Ever heard of headphones? Or just get some $10 external speakers.

A 32 GB SD card can hold the stuff I want, plus a harddrive would heat and kill battery life.

Let's see what television, video game, and straight-to-dvd-movie star, Peter Griffin, has to say about doubling the thickness of the Pandora in order to add a loud, heat-producing, battery-killing, easily breakable, slow, hard drive.

Peter?

d_7387.jpg

Thank you, Peter.

GuchaRU said:
First idea:
Why I can't listening to music while (for expample) walk on the street
If you are one of those people, you don't deserve a pandora

Back