Really Amazing

RHCA

Still Fresh
So I had a bit of free time and I started to search about power VR SGX and I found on wikipedia that it exceeds Directx's 10.1 requirements whic really surprised m, but I dont know if it's really true

RHCA said:
So I had a bit of free time and I started to search about power VR SGX and I found on wikipedia that it exceeds Directx's 10.1 requirements whic really surprised m, but I dont know if it's really true
Beware of marketing bullshit. It suffices to have some shading instruction not required by MS to say such a thing. Now see, they added a NOP, what a gain :p

Last edited by a moderator:
That's for the entire SGX series. For the particular unit we have, we have opengl ES 2.0 and Direct 3D 7 for Windows Mobile devices.

Even if you get the next SGX which are included in Menlow, you only get DX9 hardware. The DX10.1 can only be found in the most high end SGXs.

I joined the imagination insider and downloaded the data-sheet, the version in the pandora is a PowerVR SGX530 which supports full opengl 2.0 among other things. It doesn't support directx 10 or 9L but then we wouldn't be able to use them even if it did, but it does support direct3d mobile.
Also the PowerVR SGX has a helluva lot of bandwidth optimizations as it is designed as a portable graphics unit so that sharing the main bus won't effect it that much at all.
I'm still left wondering how render-targets work though as it uses tile-based-deferred-rendering.
They say that our version of the SGX can average 14 million poly's per second.

The fact-sheet can be found here: http://www.imgtec.com/powervr/insider/powe...p?Factsheet=SGX
but you have to join imagination technology insider which is free.

TI does say on their website that the OMAP 3530 SOC supports Direct3D Mobile, whatever that means...

It's just DirectX 7 3D. It was a big feature for mobile windows 5 that failed due to people becoming less interested in PDAs and smart phone people using OpenGL ES for mobile games instead.

flatmush. You're right that that doc indicates that all SGX have full OpenGL 2.0 rather than just OpenGL ES 2.0. This is the first time that I've seen anything but OpenGL ES 2.0 be quoted against the 530.

icurafu said:
flatmush. You're right that that doc indicates that all SGX have full OpenGL 2.0 rather than just OpenGL ES 2.0. This is the first time that I've seen anything but OpenGL ES 2.0 be quoted against the 530.
There is a difference between what an IP vendor offers, what a SoC vendor offers, and what a device manufacturer ships.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back