GP32 Reading Usb Pen Drive From Gamepark Cont.

you dont nead to open your gp, you only have to build a little external adapter that have its own batterys.

With some mass storage devices drawing as little as 36-45mA, and with the help of kirchoff and Ohm, I might be able to fudge something up with 2x15KOhm resistors a 9Volt Battery and 2 usb extension cables.

To Tandy!!!
:D

Or I could be way off and about to blow up my gp32.

Went with 4x1.2 rechargables
unfortunately next two days i am busy,
and i need some better wires. Ill give it a shot on the weekend

When i tried the u-boot code i used some usb thingie from my pc to get the power from the USB port.

And then i tried to connect a HUB and a printer, i got some results, but no connection, it failed with some timeouts while sending some control messages.

And about unpowered hubs, when i looked that stuff up in the USB specs, it says that a unpowered device might still draw <100ma from the host just to drive the usb device controller. (iirc)

---
mithris

The reason you got timeouts is, that with the device setup of the gp32, one of the data pins is always pulled to 3.0v
now when this is plugged in to another device which also has this rail pulled to 3.0v
there is no route to ground. No current flows, the total voltage difference is 0v and no messages can be transmitted on that pin. I have found this and am working on a circuit to remedy this situation. I have done the maths and bought the components but have not had time to build or test it. The components are cheap 2 60c resistors, this should still be viable.

so, rewriting of the bios would be needed also right?
that would be easy wont it?
and also, what would be the largest size pendrive?
512? I hope
that would rock

~Octavious

To use the pendrives in your games/apps, every application/game would need to be recompiled with support for the pendrives (but only if they accessed any files on the pendrive of course). If you wanted to load games from the Pendrives, then the bios itself must be recompiled or modified. I don't think "modifying" is feasible though, as it's not exactly an easy task. Recompiling is out of the question too as I don't think Gamepark will give up the source code.

Im not actually modding the gp32, just making a cable that allows the gp32 to behave like a host

Aha, I completely missed this thread! Damn!

Thanks for your efforts HalfNelson, it's very interesting to read about (I have also played with the U-Boot code, but lacked some skillz and didn't make any progress).

Anyway, the 5V pin on the USB lead is completely unconnected in the GP32, so you can connect what you like to it without worrying about blowing anything up.

As I understand it, there's no problem having the resistors to 3.3V in both the GP32 and the device you're connecting to, as the data ports on the gp32 and device will just override them. All it means is that you cannot use that method of detecting device connection.

Here's a picture of my GP32 USB Host adapter: it's completely excessive! A two-way changeover switch + a voltage regulator would have been just fine, but I didn't know that when I made it. Note that on the underside of the board I do have two 15k pulldown resistors that are connected when the switch is in the "Host" position. The board has an "A" male connector for computer, GP32 connector, and an "A" female connector for the USB device. It supplies the 5V through the regulator that you can see in the picture.

usbswitch2.jpg

well tryd the usb keyboard now and it didnt work (as expectet), it even dont init the usb hub
gp -> powerd usb hub -> keyboard

hope you will succeed some day
-------------------------
crazy usb ideas of the morning
using the usb link whith the pc to
- synch data , eg. with winds up
- synch web pages you want to read from the pc , convert html-> txt on the fly

it would be cool to have a virtual newtork card , so we can ping the gp
but i dont think it s easy on windows, it s easier to make a linux module
and e.g. have a small bootable floppy/cd for the people using windows
so you insert your floppy, boot , sync your gp, and done

Back