GP32 Reading Usb Pen Drive From Gamepark Cont.

HalfNelson

Still Fresh
I have come across some firmware code from the U-boot (u-boot.sourceforge.net)
project where they have written usb-ohci drivers that can work on the s3c2400 (the gp32 processor) they are only compatible atm with Mass Storage Devices which is good because thats all im interested in.
They also have drivers for communication with Mass Storage Devices. I know the the Gamepark's Processor is capable of running the USB in unpowered host mode.

I was wondering if this USB Host ran on the same pins on the GP32 usb connector or if this functionality isnt exposed by the GP32 board.

ie - I want to know if it is possible to create/buy a cable that would expose the USB Host features of the Gamepark and down the track with a custom program, allow the GP32 to see Mass Storage Devices.

Anyone?

thaht would be nice
but i think we have to use
a powere usb hub
for this to work

it s one of the future things
to try with the gp32linux project :)

It's not "absolutely impossible" as the ARM9 processor inside the gp32 supports usb host functionality. However, I do believe that the pins on the processor required to do host mode are not connected to any external connector on the gp32, so it would require a modification to work (well, unless you can reconfigure these pins - I'll try to find out).

damaki posted on May 30 2004 at 11:35 AM said:
GP32 is a USB slave device, it is absolutely impossible.
dont talk shitt!

hm you dont nead a powerd usb hub, you only nead to make you a little adapter,
all you nead to do hardware site is adding a wire for a external +5v source.
Code:
1 ---+---- 1 +4.4-5v
2 ---|----- 2 -data
3 ---|----- 3 +data
4 ---|---+- 4 gnd
      |   |
    +5v   |
          gnd

but setting the gp in host mode is not easy as far as i know, robbrown was playing arround with a usbhdd sometime ago

Last edited by a moderator:
Found out how to set the pins to host mode.

MISCELLANEOUS Control Register (MISCCR)

USBPAD[3] 0 - use pads related USB for USB device
1 - use pads related USB for USB Host

Page 243 of s3c2400 manual.

As for Powering. It is an unpowered usb host. which means it puts out max of 100mA.
There are pen drives that use as little as 36-42mA during reading and writing and can run in low powered mode (the only devices that can run of unpowered usb hubs :) ) So I guess it is up to porting the drivers and getting a cable

Hi, i found that code some months ago, and have been playing around a little with it, with some progress, but haven't had much time to look at it..

And about the fact that it's unpowered, i don't think it puts anything out at all.
Since it would have to be 5V.
but getting 5V from somewhere shouldn't be much of a problem i think.

---
mithris

Vimacs posted on May 30 2004 at 01:39 PM said:
hm you dont nead a powerd usb hub, you only nead to make you a little adapter,
all you nead to do hardware site is adding a wire for a external
I did not talk about hardware modification, of course it could be possible with hardware modification, with a hardware modification you could *even* put a pentium 4 into a GP32. But this is not a real solution.
This is not the only problem, mass storage device compatibility is a controversal issue, many sticks do not not work with linux, mac, ... I don't even talk about a GP32 <_<
So if it works, that would be great for these who could use that, for the others that would be normal I guess.
Even GPdrive is known not to work with linux, alas.

Yet it would be nice, at least for a direct file exchange between 2 GP32, with GPdrive.

you dont nead a hardware mod in your gp...
and most usb sticks are normal mass storage supportet by linux.
and wtf have gpdrive to do with this?

Vimacs posted on May 30 2004 at 05:00 PM said:
you dont nead a hardware mod in your gp...
and most usb sticks are normal mass storage supportet by linux.
and wtf have gpdrive to do with this?
Just a dream about communication between 2 GP32 B)

Hmmm, very interesting. Now this is right up my street and I would be interested in doing something like this. I've done USB slave in the form of GpDrive, so USB host would be an exciting project :)

Would anyone be willing to donate me a GP32 USB cable I can hack up?

Maybe toholl, who works on gp32linux, have written a USB host driver?

In the kernel config, I see:
S3C2400 OHCI-compatible host interface support
SA1111 OHCI-compatible host interface support

Is that what you're talking about?

I think that all the people interested should try to use gp32linux as a basis, because if they succeed, any (unpowered) device supported by linux would work!

If it works, what kind of cable will be required?
a female USB plug <----> gp32 connector ?

cyberic posted on May 30 2004 at 04:53 PM said:
If it works, what kind of cable will be required?
a female USB plug <----> gp32 connector ?
Code:
                /-gp32 usb
female usb ---+
                \-power

a USB cord is only a fiver at gbax
thats pretty cheap

~Octavious

and for battery, you could make another battery stick to the back buy a USB thing, unless you go out the already included USB port...

Squidge posted on May 30 2004 at 04:30 PM said:
Would anyone be willing to donate me a GP32 USB cable I can hack up?
squidge, set up a paypal link (not too hard) and i'm sure you'll have enough money to get one from GBAX by the end of tomorrow :)

(even if everyone donated 50p or something.)

Back