!reader2x Beta, Ebook Reader

hardyx

Website
Visit site
This is my port of !Reader for the GP2X console.

!Reader is a program to read ebooks in TXT, RTF, HTM, PDB (palmdoc) and PDF documents. The autor of !Reader for GP32 gave me the source code to make this port. Is a beta version and it could have errors.

I give the code of my GP32 emulation library too, that I used to make this port. Can be used to port other GP32 applications to machines that supports SDL library.

I hope you enjoy the program!

Hardyx said:
This is my port of !Reader for the GP2X console.

!Reader is a program to read ebooks in TXT, RTF, HTM, PDB (palmdoc) and PDF documents. The autor of !Reader for GP32 gave me the source code to make this port. Is a beta version and it could have errors.

I give the code of my GP32 emulation library too, that I used to make this port. Can be used to port other GP32 applications to machines that supports SDL library.

I hope you enjoy the program!
How does it parse RTF files? Is it using some library, or home grown?

One of these days I need to nab an RTF parser, so I'm curious :)

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried it out and got it to load TXT & RTF files, but I couldn't get PDF or HTM files to work.

Works okay, but the line scrolling (up/down) is just too slow, and the movement in the menu and virtual keyboard is also too sluggish.

Also for the keyboard, I find that the QWERTY layout to be harder to use than an ABCDE layout. It would also help if the searched word gets highlighted when found when using the Find.

I did notice that the underline marks remain black when the text color is changed. This makes it impossible to see when the background is set to black.

The texts seem to be justified even though they are set to left-aligned for RTF files. Centered and right-aligned work fine though.

It froze a couple of times when selecting or opening files (especially when there were PDFs in the folder). :(

Why limit to just HTM, and not include HTML extension? (or even other file extensions and files with no extension at all) ;)

It would be nice if the other buttons are used also, like the L & R shoulder buttons as next/previous page-break, Select button for the Find, and Vol - & + to Zoom - & +.

It's a very nice and well-made application. Hope that it can be further improved. :D

Thanks for try the program. This is the first beta version and I'm working to fix the fails.
PDF loading is a bit weak, and can be memory leaks. I'm working to make more strong this. The RTF format is the best to read now. The next version include some of the things you are talking.

Hardyx said:
Thanks for try the program. This is the first beta version and I'm working to fix the fails.
PDF loading is a bit weak, and can be memory leaks. I'm working to make more strong this. The RTF format is the best to read now. The next version include some of the things you are talking.
Good to hear, and looking forward to it.

I was indeed impressed when I got RTF to load. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have updated the .zip with a new version 0.851.

- fixed memory leaks and fails loading pdf files.
- support the .html extension in file dialog.
- add more debug messages for betatesters.
- now you can navigate pages using L/R triggers.

More in the next version.

Very nice, I used !Reader2x beta releast 0.851 to read an HTML ebook and it worked great.

However, in the middle of reading a second book I ran into a problem. Reader2x starts and shows the "Recent files list" dialog. I can move the cursor, but if I try to open anything in this dialog, including "Open another file...", then Reader2x freezes with the red title and a black background. I powered off and on, started Reader2x, and tried pressing Start, X, A, and Y, but none of these would close the dialog.

I tried moving reader.cfg and reader.mrf to another directory and now Reader2x works again. When I move the files back, the problem returns.

I logged in via telnet and ran these commands:
CODE

[root@gp2x reader2x]$cp ../r2x.bak/reader.{cfg,mrf} .
[root@gp2x reader2x]$./reader2x_851.gpe
-main
-Init
GpFatInit
SDL_GP2X: CreateDevice
SDL_GP2X: VideoInit
SDL_GP2X: Physical screen = 320x240 (ilace = 0)
SDL_GP2X: Looking for a mouse
SDL_GP2X: No mice found
SDL_GP2X: Creating cursor 16x16
SDL_GP2X: Allocated WMcursor @ 0x198b40 (32)
SDL_GP2X: SurfaceManager allocating 256 bytes
SDL_SYS_JoystickInit
GpVideo init ok!
-new Video
GpGraphicModeSet
SDL_GP2X: ListModes
SDL_GP2X: Setting video mode 320x240 16 bpp, flags=80000000
SDL_GP2X: FreeHWSurfaces
SDL_GP2X: InitHWSurfaces 0x40026800, 5085184
SDL_GP2X: Screen bucket 0x1980c4
SDL_GP2X: First free bucket 0x198b40 (size = 5085184)
SDL_GP2X: Creating cursor 16x16
SDL_GP2X: Allocated WMcursor @ 0x198bb0 (32)
SDL_GP2X: SurfaceManager allocating 256 bytes
SDL_GP2X: SurfaceManager adding new free bucket of 5084928 bytes @ 0x198bc8
SDL_GP2X: SurfaceManager allocated 256 bytes at 0x40026800
-SetStandardFont
-new Text
-GameEngine
-Cfg load
-load intromsg
-refresh_text
-mrf load

When I tried "Open another file...", I got the following message.
CODE

-while loop

May I have the source code to trouble shoot further?

Thank you,

Ben

Back