Raw File Viewer On Gp2x?

joele

Still Fresh
Basically I am a Delphi programmer by trade so jumping in the deep end here buying a gp2x to start learning something different ;-).... So I have been thinking of apps to write (start with apps not games) and I am thinking of working on a RAW file viewer, there is enough opensource RAW viewers/processors around to get me started I think, without a CF slot I guess it is only going to be usefull to people with DSLRs with SD cards, such as the Pentax DS/DL and the Nikon D50. So please send $1,000,000 dollars to newscam@hotmail.com... Only joking (sorry couldn't resist), seriously though I just wanted to know how much interest there would be in something like this? and if anyone else was thinking of starting a similar project? as no real need to have competing projects...

lol, that made my day.

Well it sounds interesting but I would have no use for it. I am a jpeg guy and when I need quality I use tiffs. Really like the idea of how you can edit RAWS and everything, but I don't know if there would be much use for your program.

reallynotnick posted on Sep 19 2005 at 12:58 AM said:
lol, that made my day.

Well it sounds interesting but I would have no use for it. I am a jpeg guy and when I need quality I use tiffs. Really like the idea of how you can edit RAWS and everything, but I don't know if there would be much use for your program.

I wasn't really thinking of editing RAWs, it is just with my Pentax DSLR I take all my photos in RAW for best control, and it would be great to review the pics on the 3.5" screen before I get home...

I think the main problem is as apart from the 3 cameras mentioned most DSLR use CF, and few SD based digicams use RAW. So there may not be much interest, although I may still just write it for my self (to use and to get me started on gp2x development).

Sorry about the old joke I couldn't help myself... ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
My camera uses SD and takes pics in RAW. Although I dont know if it would properly read. I dont know the filesystem they are using on the gp2x. I know normal SMC formats arent usuallly compatable with the gp32. You might be able to load your prog onto the Nand and then have it work with your card from the camera...who knows your the expert.

Im glad theres at least one other serious photographer in the GP2X scene! :D On the subject of a RAW veiwer I doubt that there will be a mass market for it here, I own a Nikon D70 and almost always shoot RAW but I know a lot of photographers and most still use JPEG as their primary format. Does your camera not support RAW+BASIC?

It would be sweet if there were a way in the future to connect my D70 directly to the GPX2 via the USB port either that or hook up a CF2 card reader through it. I'm not sure if either will be possible due to it not having powered USB but it would definatly make the GPX2 the perfect all round device for me.

I also read somewhere that the maximum supported resolution for images on the GPX2 will be 1024x768, does anyone know anymore about this? I am planning to use the image veiwer with my older camera in the field that does use SD cards but I only shoot at 2048x1536 for quality reasons.

Ninjia^ posted on Sep 19 2005 at 06:41 PM said:
Im glad theres at least one other serious photographer in the GP2X scene! :D

;-)

Does your camera not support RAW+BASIC?

Nah Pentax were lazy it is either RAW or JPEG not both, this is the first situation where it actually seems that would have been usefull :)

Can't wait to get my gp2x so I can start playing aorund with it to see what is actually possible...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back